Air Band Receivers

Paul Blundell

As I would like to have this on my desk at work, looking like an AM/FM radio avoids any questions...

On Sat, 5 Jun 2021, 02:39 Phil Pasteur via groups.io, <ppasteur=q.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Paul,
Purely out of curiosity, why is it important that  the device "looks" like a radio. I am sure you have good reasons for this, but I am missing it.

Phil

Michael Schuster

The Shenzhen Hanrongda HRD-747 is now spotted in the wholesale supply channel at US$53, minimum order 2 pieces.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/HRD-747-Portable-All-Band-Mini_1600253429230.html

Paul Blundell

Thanks for that. I will looking at ordering soon.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021, 06:43 Michael Schuster, <schuster.ma@...> wrote:
The Shenzhen Hanrongda HRD-747 is now spotted in the wholesale supply channel at US$53, minimum order 2 pieces.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/HRD-747-Portable-All-Band-Mini_1600253429230.html

Phil Pasteur

Got it... but I used to (I am now retired) put things on my desk specifically to make people ask questions. A good diversion from the grind.
Though I remember a time when I ran an antenna wire up the wall and tossed it out about 20 feet above the drop ceiling to get some (any) signals. The area supervisor thought I was bugging the area... threatened to call security. So in certain circumstances, I see your point.
:)
Anyway, thanks for the response.

Paul Blundell

Yeah in my situation, low profile is the way to go.

Paul

On Fri, 18 Jun 2021, 06:13 Phil Pasteur via groups.io, <ppasteur=q.com@groups.io> wrote:
Got it... but I used to (I am now retired) put things on my desk specifically to make people ask questions. A good diversion from the grind.
Though I remember a time when I ran an antenna wire up the wall and tossed it out about 20 feet above the drop ceiling to get some (any) signals. The area supervisor thought I was bugging the area... threatened to call security. So in certain circumstances, I see your point.
:)
Anyway, thanks for the response.

Michael Schuster

Edited

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 05:46 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
Thanks for that. I will looking at ordering soon.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021, 06:43 Michael Schuster, <schuster.ma@...> wrote:
The Shenzhen Hanrongda HRD-747 is now spotted in the wholesale supply channel at US$53, minimum order 2 pieces.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/HRD-747-Portable-All-Band-Mini_1600253429230.html
First comments I've seen on a production unit show lots of issues.

See the comments on this 20m/40m daytime bandscan at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3pdeYAqlMg

millinchip2
I have had the device for 5 days now. Here is the lowdown. There are a number of software bugs causing serious issues. 1: Air band has no gain. No coverage whatsoever. It is caused I think by a setting that cannot be turned off. The setting is 2MIX. You can turn on that 2MIX setting on short wave which also disables short wave but on short wave you can reset it back to “off” by taking out the battery. No such luck with Air band. It stays on permanently with the air band. I am not sure what the setting does as it’s function or use is not mentioned in the manual. If somebody has any ideas on how to fix this or what that setting does, let me know. 2: There is no bandwidth selection on SSB. 3: There is interference that sounds like a whine on SSB when you have a florescent energy saving bulb on in the same room. Points to bad internal shielding. I thought the radio was faulty until I switched off the light and it stopped. 4: On Upper side band, voice transmission is high pitched and fine tuning does not normalise it. Lower side band is fine. Looks like I got the buggy pre-release version. Damn. If they get these issues sorted and put a bit of aluminium shielding around the main signal chips, it could be a great little radio. In fact it's still a great little radio if you don't need Air band. --It can tune in Shortwave stations with the clarity of the Tecsun PL-330. --Narrow VHF is good. -- FM Stereo is great. As good as anything out there. --Nobody broadcasts on CB here So I can't comment on CB. --Same with the weather band. --Nobody uses UHF here either. --AM is pretty good. Comparable to the Tecsun. --The speaker is a little tinny but I knew that before I bought it. -- The battery will probably last months before recharging.

Paul Blundell

Thanks, that does not sound too good as the airband would be the main reason I would get one.

Paul

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 6:49 AM Michael Schuster <schuster.ma@...> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 05:46 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
Thanks for that. I will looking at ordering soon.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021, 06:43 Michael Schuster, <schuster.ma@...> wrote:
The Shenzhen Hanrongda HRD-747 is now spotted in the wholesale supply channel at US$53, minimum order 2 pieces.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/HRD-747-Portable-All-Band-Mini_1600253429230.html
First comments I've seen on a production unit show lots of issues.

See the comments on this 20m/40m daytime bandscan at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3pdeYAqlMg

millinchip2

millinchip2
1 day ago (edited)
[...]

DX Pedro

Its a bit too expensive for the quality it packs. It would be better to just have focused on airband alone.
// pedro andrade

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 11:29 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:
[...]

Just a correction from my part: I was confusing this with the 737 that's already available. This seems a very decent pocket rocket. It can even take an external antenna via a 3.5mm jack. I'm gonna have my eyes open when this is widely available. or is it already available?

// pedro andrade

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 12:28 PM Michael Schuster <schuster.ma@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Quoted font too small!]

[...]

I know nothing about air band, is this what the planes use? Is that covered by this group at all?

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 1:28 AM
From: "DX Pedro" <pmm.andrade@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Air Band Receivers

We do cover the airband a bit, as much as how various ultralight radios perform on it. This link might help: https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2020/10/guide-to-airband-radio-listening-on.html

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 1:28 AM
From: "DX Pedro" <pmm.andrade@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

kevin asato

Airband is what aircraft of all types - commercial, non-commercial, fixed wing, helicopter/rotor, military - use to communicate with each other and local air traffic control facilities. The VHF airband for voice is 118Mhz to 136MHz with 25KHz separation in the US/Canada and 8.33KHz in Europe. This is what is labelled airband on most radios and most commonly listened to especially if you reside below common airlanes or near airports. Although residing above the FM Broadcast band, the signals are often harder to hear as aviation band radios are much lower in power (< 100W) than FM band transmitters (xKW or xMW) and require more sensitivity to hear. This is a bit harder to do as you can then suffer overload effects from the  FM band.
In the Los Angeles area, i can hear at a range of 15-20 miles when helicopters are up at about 1000 feet on 123.025. However, the local ground utility frequency of 122.950KHz is rarely heard and i am above a local municipal airport about 3 miles away. This through use of a scanner or amateur 2 meter radio tuned to the aviation band.

There is a separate set of HF SSB frequencies used by aircraft for overwater transit. These can be picked up by receivers having SWL coverage and SSB/BFO feature. These are harder to "intercept" as they are propagation dependent but have the capability of being heard worldwide.
73,
kevin
kc6pob

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 1:28 AM
From: "DX Pedro" <pmm.andrade@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

So, with HF SSB, do ultralights cover this? Is this part of the group or do we only talk about broadcast traffic?

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 1:28 AM
From: "DX Pedro" <pmm.andrade@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

I don't see any issue with that being discussed on here.

Paul

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 1:28 AM
From: "DX Pedro" <pmm.andrade@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

if your ultra light radio cover ssb or has a bfo, then yes.
you do not have to strict;y have an ultralight radio to participate in this list.
73,
kevin
kc6pob

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 1:28 AM
From: "DX Pedro" <pmm.andrade@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

I have heard about scanners, do any Ultralight radios scan the airband?

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 1:28 AM
From: "DX Pedro" <pmm.andrade@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

Would another group be more aligned with this side of the hobby?

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 1:28 AM
From: "DX Pedro" <pmm.andrade@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

None that I know of. I know my AR-1733 will do a single pass of the air band and then save any found frequencies but that is not really that useful.

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 1:28 AM
From: "DX Pedro" <pmm.andrade@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
[...]

Jock Elliott

For anyone interested in improving the reception of the radios that receive airband, the following thread from Radio Reference might be of interest:

It concerns turning a TV "rabbit ears" antenna into an antenna for airband.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Homebrewed_Off-Center_Fed_Dipolehttps://forums.radioreference.com/threads/rabbit-ears-air-antenna-experiment-leads-to-question-about-antenna-length-help-needed.429104/

In addition, this item from the RR Wiki might prove useful:

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Homebrewed_Off-Center_Fed_Dipole

The wire version of the off-center-fed dipole looks like it would be extremely quick and easy to build.  How you connect it to your radio will depend on what connects your radio allows.

DX Pedro

Awesome! I've read somewhere they are also good at receiving satellite signals and to use it as a diy airplane tracker. but i can't say for sure.
// pedro andrade