Air Band Receivers

Paul Blundell

Peter 1956

Hello Paul,

I have one of these, performance is mediocre. The XHDATA D-808 is much better on Airband, CB band, MW and FM.
eg this was inaudible on the Hanronda HRD-737
https://youtu.be/UDNI0QY_v6s
Peter

Paul Blundell

Thanks Peter. I am looking for something small / pocket sized.

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021, 18:41 Peter 1956, <pe1etr@...> wrote:
Hello Paul,

I have one of these, performance is mediocre. The XHDATA D-808 is much better on Airband, CB band, MW and FM.
eg this was inaudible on the Hanronda HRD-737
https://youtu.be/UDNI0QY_v6s
Peter

Peter 1956

Your welcome Paul,

There are some small scanners that cover airband.
eg Uniden Bearcat EZI-33XLT
Peter

Paul Blundell

Thanks Peter. I have had one of these in the past. I was was looking for something that "looks" like a normal radio.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 8:17 PM Peter 1956 <pe1etr@...> wrote:
Your welcome Paul,

There are some small scanners that cover airband.
eg Uniden Bearcat EZI-33XLT
Peter

keith beesley

Paul,

Don't know if this is viewable in Australia (don't know why it wouldn't be), but here's a video review from Todd Erbert on YouTube: HanRongDa HRD-737 AM FM SW AIR VHF CB Portable Radio Review - YouTube

Keith Beesley
Seattle WA USA

On Monday, March 8, 2021, 04:53:25 PM PST, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

Peter 1956

That's the same radio as in the original post.

Peter

Joseph Rotman

Peter is correct.  The pocket SW receivers are at the very best, marginal air band receivers.  Perhaps the best hand held available on the market is the Uniden 125AT here in the states.  Elsewhere, I am not sure what the Uniden nomenclature is for it. Is a very affordable scanner that you can use for monitoring the civilian and military air bands.

There are some small scanners that cover airband.
eg Uniden Bearcat EZI-33XLT
Peter

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the link, that is a good video. I am still 50/50 on it.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 7:03 PM keith beesley via groups.io <keith1226=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul,

Don't know if this is viewable in Australia (don't know why it wouldn't be), but here's a video review from Todd Erbert on YouTube: HanRongDa HRD-737 AM FM SW AIR VHF CB Portable Radio Review - YouTube

Keith Beesley
Seattle WA USA

On Monday, March 8, 2021, 04:53:25 PM PST, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

I have owned the UBC126AT (Australian version), they are a great scanner but not what I am looking for. In this case it needs to look like a "normal" AM/FM radio.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 1:12 AM Joseph Rotman via groups.io <N9JCQ=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Peter is correct.  The pocket SW receivers are at the very best, marginal air band receivers.  Perhaps the best hand held available on the market is the Uniden 125AT here in the states.  Elsewhere, I am not sure what the Uniden nomenclature is for it. Is a very affordable scanner that you can use for monitoring the civilian and military air bands.

There are some small scanners that cover airband.
eg Uniden Bearcat EZI-33XLT
Peter

Emily Keene

I have 2 of those tiny 737 multibands, identical except that one is labeled "hang ron da" and the other is labeled "exmax". I have really enjoyed them as fun toys to play with, and like Todd Erbert on the video review, I am amazed at how many functions are in such a tiny radio. The tip of the antenna came off on one of mine, but it still works fine.
Emily Keene, New Jersey

Sent from my Virgin Mobile Phone.

Thanks for the link, that is a good video. I am still 50/50 on it.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 7:03 PM keith beesley via groups.io <keith1226=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul,

Don't know if this is viewable in Australia (don't know why it wouldn't be), but here's a video review from Todd Erbert on YouTube: HanRongDa HRD-737 AM FM SW AIR VHF CB Portable Radio Review - YouTube

Keith Beesley
Seattle WA USA

On Monday, March 8, 2021, 04:53:25 PM PST, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

Michael Schuster

Someone posted a sneak peek at a prototype of the successor to this radio, the HRD-747, on the SWL blog last week. Claims it performs much better ... to be determined.

Paul Blundell

Thanks Michael, I think it is an area which might see some improvements and more radios supporting the airband.

Paul

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021, 08:28 Michael Schuster, <schuster.ma@...> wrote:
Someone posted a sneak peek at a prototype of the successor to this radio, the HRD-747, on the SWL blog last week. Claims it performs much better ... to be determined.

Peter 1956

Hello Paul,

I forgot that the Radiwow R-108 has airband, that works well according to Jay Allen.
https://radiojayallen.com/radiwow-r-108-fm-stereo-lw-sw-mw-air-dsp-portable-radio/

It is the little brother of the XHDATA D-808

Peter

Paul Blundell

The HRD-747 sounds very interesting, does anybody know of any time frames around it being released.

Michael Schuster

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 12:08 AM, Paul Blundell wrote:
The HRD-747 sounds very interesting, does anybody know of any time frames around it being released.
It was supposed t have been released by April but I have not seen anything more than that initial look at an engineering prototype from February.

Paul Blundell

Thanks Michael, I will be keeping an eye out for when this is released.

Paul

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 07:25 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
Thanks Michael, I will be keeping an eye out for when this is released.

Paul

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 9:19 PM Michael Schuster <schuster.ma@...> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 12:08 AM, Paul Blundell wrote:
The HRD-747 sounds very interesting, does anybody know of any time frames around it being released.
It was supposed t have been released by April but I have not seen anything more than that initial look at an engineering prototype from February.
Paul,

I have always looked at do-it-all zero-to-light portable receivers with a jaundiced eye as they rarely perform as well in actual use. Starting with the Icom IC-R1 many, many years ago. But I think the adoption of DSP technology changes a lot of that for the better (look at all the cheap, competent, tiny SILabs based boxes for sale on Ali, eBay, and Amazon) so maybe this one will show that the designers actually learned from earlier efforts.

--mike

Paul Blundell

It sure does sound like it might fit the bill of what I have been looking for.

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021, 22:11 Michael Schuster, <schuster.ma@...> wrote:
[...]

Phil Pasteur

Hi Paul,
Purely out of curiosity, why is it important that  the device "looks" like a radio. I am sure you have good reasons for this, but I am missing it.

Phil