Africian MW DXing

Paul Blundell

Hi.
Between the west coast of Tasmania and South Africa is basically a heap of ocean and nothing much else. I have been looking online but have not been able to find much solid information on if they still have much mediumwave radio and if it is worth trying to chase this down for DXing?
Does anybody have any experiance with this?

Paul

Peter 1956

Hello Paul, Yes South Africa does still have Medium Wave radio, as do Mozambique and Lesotho and Botswana.

Peter
Botswana

Paul Blundell

Thanks Peter. What would be the best source of information on them.

On Wed, 7 Jul 2021, 14:44 Peter 1956, <pe1etr@...> wrote:
Hello Paul, Yes South Africa does still have Medium Wave radio, as do Mozambique and Lesotho and Botswana.

Peter
Botswana

Peter 1956

Hello Paul,
MWlist.org
Is the source I use, it covers the whole world.

Peter

Eduard

Hi!
I managed to catch Botswana on 1350 kHz at the night time (using just loop antenna Tecsun AN-200), but it was one year ago. I don't know, whether they are on air now. Also it was possible to hear Nigeria on 1224 kHz recently in Europe.

73, Eduard.

среда, 7 июля 2021 г., 09:54:15 GMT+3, Peter 1956 <pe1etr@...> написал(-а):

Hello Paul,
MWlist.org
Is the source I use, it covers the whole world.

Peter

Peter 1956

Hello Edward
1350 Tshabong, Botswana is on air.
They went off air last year for a few months but came back.

Peter

Paul Blundell

Thanks Peter.

On Wed, 7 Jul 2021, 16:54 Peter 1956, <pe1etr@...> wrote:
Hello Paul,
MWlist.org
Is the source I use, it covers the whole world.

Peter

Paul Blundell

Thank you. I will get a frequency list together and see what looks like the most likely targets.

On Wed, 7 Jul 2021, 18:47 Eduard via groups.io, <edd526=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi!
I managed to catch Botswana on 1350 kHz at the night time (using just loop antenna Tecsun AN-200), but it was one year ago. I don't know, whether they are on air now. Also it was possible to hear Nigeria on 1224 kHz recently in Europe.

73, Eduard.

среда, 7 июля 2021 г., 09:54:15 GMT+3, Peter 1956 <pe1etr@...> написал(-а):

Hello Paul,
MWlist.org
Is the source I use, it covers the whole world.

Peter

Eduard

Good news, thank you. So, good propagation needed for Tsahbong.
There are many African stations in MWlist, but most of them, I think, not on air.

73, Eduard.

среда, 7 июля 2021 г., 13:01:28 GMT+3, Peter 1956 <pe1etr@...> написал(-а):

Hello Edward
1350 Tshabong, Botswana is on air.
They went off air last year for a few months but came back.

Peter

Peter 1956

You're welcome Paul.
When you get your list of likely targets together send it to me and I'll check if they are still on air.
Peter

Paul Blundell

Can anybody help, on this page, what is the country code for South Africa (so I can filter my results)?
https://www.mwlist.org/mwlist_quick_and_easy.php?area=1&kHz=9999

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 9:18 PM Peter 1956 <pe1etr@...> wrote:
You're welcome Paul.
When you get your list of likely targets together send it to me and I'll check if they are still on air.
Peter

I think it is AFS.