a question regarding 2 pocket setts? :)

majid

hi all,
i'm new to this lovly group, dxing is what I love!
fm dxing mostly.
I have a question.
I own the tecsun pl10 et,
and was looking at the Radiwow-r-108
so here are my questions if it is no trouble?
1.
what is fm reception like between the pl10 et and the r108?
selectivity etc, is it alot better?
2.
what is the avarage runtime with the r108?
3.
is it possible to turn off the display completely on the r108?
i'm blind.
on a related note how would i go about turning off the display completely on the pl10 et?
4.
is there another unit that is better than the r108 with the specifications that I have given above?
i've herd about the pl660
which sounds interesting,
wish it was possible to change the filters on the fm band, makeing them narrower etc,

thanks for welcomeing me to your lovly group!
sorry for spelling errors, i'm blind.
Majid Hussain

Gary DeBock

Welcome to our group, Majid!

The Radiwow R-108 model (and also the XHDATA D-808, C. Crane Skywave, Tecsun PL-330 and Tecsun PL-380) was fully reviewed in the 2021 Ultralight Radio Shootout article, which is posted at https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/8y6855bnfmy45rnk46mzr7hb4pwjz8u8

The Tecsun PL-310ET model was fully reviewed in the 2015 Ultralight Radio Shootout article, which is posted at Gary DeBock’s 2015 Ultralight Radio Shootout Review | The SWLing Post

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock, N7EKX (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
Ultralight Radio Group Co-Founder

majid

hi there,
many thanks for your shootout document!
sir garry :)
your name has been spoken of many a time on swling.com and i'm sure on other sites.
may your legend continue on growing and your perpus remain unbound and unconfined.

the r108 is the radio for me I doo believe.
that fm dxing does call me i'm happy  to say.
many thanks again for your assistence!
Majid

Dennis Breda

Welcome to the group. I don’t usually post but I follow other’s posts and learn a lot.
Dennis Breda
Breda Instrumentation

On Sep 3, 2021, at 5:20 PM, majid <mhussaincov93@gmx.com> wrote:
[...]

Peter Jones

Welcome Majid,

XHDATA (Radiwow) have there own online store. I've found it much cheaper than purchasing from third parties. I'm in the UK. But I believe they ship worldwide.

https://xhdata.com.cn/products/radiwow-r-108-radio-digital-portable-radio-fm-stereo-lw-sw-mw-air-dsp-receiver-with-lcd-high-quality-sound-for-indooroutdoor-73

Peter

Paul Blundell

Welcome to the group, you have been given some great information. I am a big fan of my Digitech AR1733.

Paul

On Sat, 4 Sep 2021, 16:59 Peter Jones, <jonesypeter@...> wrote:
Welcome Majid,

XHDATA (Radiwow) have there own online store. I've found it much cheaper than purchasing from third parties. I'm in the UK. But I believe they ship worldwide.

https://xhdata.com.cn/products/radiwow-r-108-radio-digital-portable-radio-fm-stereo-lw-sw-mw-air-dsp-receiver-with-lcd-high-quality-sound-for-indooroutdoor-73

Peter

majid

hi all,
sorry for going off topic,
but I have a few questions and a request for assistence if applicable.
1.
i'm trying to create an account on this website,
http://skywavesdx.org/ucp.php?mode=register
but i am having issues.
i'm blind and am unable to fill out the answer at the end to create my account.
would it be possible for someone to assist me with account creation?
i'm so sorry if this brakes 1000000 rules, I normaly would not ask.
but did not know who to ask.
in future would it be possible to change the image portian to a written question?
sorry if i broke any rules,
Majid Hussain

majid

hey again,
birthday radios truly are greate.
as a matter of fact, my birthday will be on the 24th hence me asking about the differant setts.
question,
since these radios are on a chip,
shorly it would be an easy thing to add accessibility features to the radios?
they don't make radios as sturdy as they used too,
I have my ol workhorse the soney srf 59 I believe it is?
takes 1 aa battery has a on off button has fm monow /streao switch and a button for am and fm.
not sure if i aught to ask this in a new thread, but here goes.
what got you in to your dxing hobby in the first place?
I would love to hear your stories.
Majid

Paul Blundell

My story started as a small child on CB radio, over the years it has grown and changed a few times. My history is here (must update it) https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2020/01/about-me.html

On Sat, 4 Sep 2021, 18:38 majid, <mhussaincov93@...> wrote:
hey again,
birthday radios truly are greate.
as a matter of fact, my birthday will be on the 24th hence me asking about the differant setts.
question,
since these radios are on a chip,
shorly it would be an easy thing to add accessibility features to the radios?
they don't make radios as sturdy as they used too,
I have my ol workhorse the soney srf 59 I believe it is?
takes 1 aa battery has a on off button has fm monow /streao switch and a button for am and fm.
not sure if i aught to ask this in a new thread, but here goes.
what got you in to your dxing hobby in the first place?
I would love to hear your stories.
Majid

Emily Keene

You were asking about beginnings in the hobby - I got an AM transistor radio ( Public brand ) for my 8th birthday, and soon discovered that I could hear stations from far away at night. That radio was my favorite birthday gift of all time, and it opened the world to me, a little girl from West Virginia.

Sent from my Virgin Mobile Phone.

majid

hey there,
my story started when a friend introduced me to radio,
I was young then and he sed it would be something that would be of interest.
he cirtenly was not wrong about that.
I was astounded that a simple wire was able to pick up so many stations I live in coventry, u.k and by stringing up a cable attached to the antenna of the radio I was able to pick up stations as far afeald as oxford and miltenkeens.
on fm.
this was before the cursed interferience that is so very prevelent in homes these days.
you know the backround hissing you hear on am? that it also effects the fm band and cirtenly the dab band.
evidence of this was found by me by a powercut when the power went out wonderful reception was achieved.
pardon me my spelling, I use a screen reader.
i've not gotten in to loop antenna or the like it does sound interesting,
specially the loop antenna that don't need to be attached.
question, can you buy telescopic antenna that don't need to be attached to the radio it's self?
yes it's a newb question from me :(
these days, the charm of dxing has faded alot on fm, since most local stations here are now rebroadcasts of heart or capitle *sigh*
it is not like the good old days of fox fm from oxford or northhanse 96 fm from northhampton.
what's the situ like in other countries?
in pakistan it's barren at least where we live barly anything on the am band and 1 maybe 2 stations on fm.
we live in a village.
Majid

majid

and here in the u.k the am transmitters are being slowly turned off,
such as some bbc locals, or decreases in power of other transmitters.
but hay, i'm able to get manks radio with out issue now that my local am station has closed.
Majid

Ted Maas

I too received a small transistor radio as a birthday gift when I was a young child.  Lots of local stations could be heard from our house some 30 miles south of Chicago.

Then, one night, I was switching stations and I heard a faint signal in my earpiece.  It was some station way up in Milwaukee maybe 100 miles away!
(Probably WTMJ).

I have been hooked ever since.  Even getting my Ham ticket.

Ted

ps - everyone … please keep telling these great stories about how they got interested in radio listening/DXing … thanks Emily and Majid!

My radio history is not very interesting. I started out with some kits and just kept making them. I had a couple of pocket radios which I used in junior high and just kept an interest as I grew up.

Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2021 at 6:33 AM
From: "majid" <mhussaincov93@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: [UltralightDX] a question regarding 2 pocket setts? :)
[...]

Birthdays were always a good time to get a radio. As I got older this was replaced with video games and computers. Still the magic of radio was never far away.

Sent: Monday, September 06, 2021 at 4:58 AM
From: "Ted Maas via groups.io" <oraperldevchiil@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io

I too received a small transistor radio as a birthday gift when I was a young child.  Lots of local stations could be heard from our house some 30 miles south of Chicago.

Then, one night, I was switching stations and I heard a faint signal in my earpiece.  It was some station way up in Milwaukee maybe 100 miles away!
(Probably WTMJ).

I have been hooked ever since.  Even getting my Ham ticket.

Ted

ps - everyone … please keep telling these great stories about how they got interested in radio listening/DXing … thanks Emily and Majid!

Gary DeBock

Frank,

Your last group of 5 posts included two which could have been combined (on the above topic), and two others which could have been sent privately. Unless a DXer has received exceptional DX, there is rarely any situation where 5 posts need to be sent by one member one after another. "Posting for the sake of posting" is not helping this group, and is causing some members to decide to drop membership. A warning was issued about this practice previously.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
List Owner/ Moderator