A New Radio For Christmas

Paul Blundell

Hi all.

2021 has been a very up and down year, for me it has ended with a new job which has better pay, conditions and work from home 60 - 80% of the time :)

As a bit of a celebration of this, I am planning on getting a new Ultralight Radio for Christmas.

After the issues with my last purchase, these are the options I am looking at:

Any thoughts on the above or reasons to avoid any of them?

Paul

mediumwavedx

Hi Paul,

I have the R-108 and like it. It is heads above the Tecsun PL-380 I had. Sensitive enough for my needs, and very pleasant audio. Sensitivity can be augmented by an external loop of course. No SSB, however. I did find the battery a bit anemic and required charging often. Otherwise, it's very similar in performance to the original C.Crane Skywave, and apparently an Asian clone of that radio.

I looked at your site link for the R-108. I was shocked at the price - $130 Australian. I calculated the exchange rate and that's $96 U.S. You can get these on U.S. Amazon in the $45~ range. I wonder what gives there? Is the radio engineered differently?

Dan Robinson has a detailed review of the PL-330 on:

Jay Allen also has a nice PL-330 review:

Jay says the PL-330 suffers a bit in sensitivity on the MW band.

On the Tecsun PL-368, another Dan Robinson review:

Apparently it has some problems. Maybe they have been fixed.

Good luck with your purchase.

73s,

Bill

Paul Blundell

Thanks Bill.

I think with the prices, we are paying for a local supplier with a local warranty. I will have a good look over them.

Paul

On Sun, 7 Nov 2021, 8:47 pm mediumwavedx, <desertbilly@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark

Hi Paul,

Like Bill I also have the R-108 - my one has the 'RADIWOW' branding. It's my go-to radio that I'll pick up whenever away from home for a night or more.

I too find the sensitivity to be more than adequate and I must have been lucky with the battery, because mine performs quite well, I think. It's also not too shabby when scanning the airband. The build quality on these is really quite good, feeling solid and certainly not flimsy.

All the best with your new purchase.

M.

radiojayallen

Paul,

The PL-330 and PL-368 perform quite similarly...their biggest difference is ergonomics. The R-108 lacks SSB but has great audio. I have reviews of all of these radio on my website...the R-108 I reviewed was badged Radiwow R-108 but is the same radio as the one you mentioned.

Jay

https://radiojayallen.com/tecsun-l-368/

https://wp.me/P1wpLu-1iR      PL-330

https://wp.me/P1wpLu-15R   Radiwow R-108

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the links, I will check them out. At this stage I am thinking theR-108 might fit the bill.

Paul

On Sun, Nov 7, 2021 at 11:04 PM radiojayallen <radiojayallen@...> wrote:
Paul,

The PL-330 and PL-368 perform quite similarly...their biggest difference is ergonomics. The R-108 lacks SSB but has great audio. I have reviews of all of these radio on my website...the R-108 I reviewed was badged Radiwow R-108 but is the same radio as the one you mentioned.

Jay

https://radiojayallen.com/tecsun-l-368/

https://wp.me/P1wpLu-1iR      PL-330

https://wp.me/P1wpLu-15R   Radiwow R-108

Peter Jones

I tend to purchase direct from XHDATA. I've ordered lots of radios from them without issues. Not sure about other countries, but the ones in the UK are sent via Amazon Logistics and arrive next day. Prices very reasonable.

https://www.radiwow.com/

Only negative point is the Tecsun Radios offered aren't the export versions

Paul Blundell

I am going to contact the AUS dealer and confirm what, if any differences there are between them.

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 5:39 AM Peter Jones <jonesypeter@...> wrote:
I tend to purchase direct from XHDATA. I've ordered lots of radios from them without issues. Not sure about other countries, but the ones in the UK are sent via Amazon Logistics and arrive next day. Prices very reasonable.

https://www.radiwow.com/

Only negative point is the Tecsun Radios offered aren't the export versions

David Smith

I use https://www.anon-co.com/ for my Tecsun radios, and they have been export versions.

73 David

On 8 Nov 2021, at 18:39, Peter Jones <jonesypeter@...> wrote:

I tend to purchase direct from XHDATA. I've ordered lots of radios from them without issues. Not sure about other countries, but the ones in the UK are sent via Amazon Logistics and arrive next day. Prices very reasonable.

https://www.radiwow.com/

Only negative point is the Tecsun Radios offered aren't the export versions

Peter Jones

Agreed David. For Tecsun (especially the more recent models) I do the same. Anna is excellent and you get a guarantee.

www.radiowow.com supplies their own XHDATA and Radiwow brands though. Again, service from them has been excellent and I picked up my D-808 for £52 with free delivery and it arrived two days later.

Peter Jones

Did you end up buying one Paul?

I hear it on very good authority from someone who works at XHDATA that they have stopped producing the Radiwow R-108.  I'm assuming the SIHUADON R-108 (Which is the same, but black in colour and with the orange display) will continue.

Paul Blundell

Thanks Peter, I have not ordered anything as yet. I am still not 100% sure which way I will go with it.