Anybody get a new radio recently?

FenDrifter

Hi Ron
Once again many thanks! So clip-on it is! And now finally fully understood, and I really appreciate your patience 🙂.
Cheers
Drifter

Ron Layton <micron327@...>

Hi FenDrifter
You can still improve SW a good bit by plugging a long wire into the jack. Its not as good as turning on whip only (CH 5) and connecting an external antenna to the whip. If you are in CH A mode you have turned off the whip and are using the internal and external ferrite. When you use the plug at the top of the radio for an external antenna you are only getting indirect coupling from the external antenna to the internal ferrite. Its good for SW but not as good as using the whip only with an external attached. If you notice the You Tube video by Official SWL channel, he has plugged an external antenna into the top jack. He is getting good SW reception but again, not as good as if he were turning on whip only and attaching an external to it. Again, with the plugged in external he is getting indirect coupling from the external antenna to the radio.
73's
Ron

FenDrifter

Hi Ron
Many thanks for such a detailed reply! It’s cleared me up on attaching a long wire for SW. So do I understand that plugging a long wire into the jack socket only benefits MW? In other words, regardless of what the #3 setting is, that socket is only for MW?

Drifter

Ron Layton <micron327@...>

Hi FenDrifter
When you press and hold the "3" button while radio is in the MW/LW mode you will see a short message on the display that reads either "CH 5" or "CH A". In "CH 5" the radio is using the whip antenna only and clipping a long wire or loop antenna to it will definitely bring in decent SW signals. If you notice the display reads MW SW above the displayed frequency. I use a 30 foot long wire with an alligator clip and pull about 1/2" of the whip antenna up and attach the gator clip. If I'm using my MLA 30+ loop I have rigged up a gator clip to attach it to this short section of whip. Simple and effective. Now, if the "CH A" mode is used you are turning off the whip and using the internal (and external ferrite when plugged in) ferrite antenna. If you plug a long wire or loop antenna into this jack you are getting a bit better signal by way of indirect coupling. Its about the same as using an old Select-A-Tenna or Tecsun AN-200 passive loop. I hope this helps clear up your inquiry and it won't harm your radio at all. Good DX and 73's!
Ron

FenDrifter

Right, I know I’m answering my own questions here but I’ve just found this: https://youtu.be/7UDl1aCz-dc
which shows clearly an external antenna attached, confirming what Ron has said. So, would I be right in thinking I need the A setting for this please? I know I could ‘suck it and see’ but I scare easy 😅.
Drifter

FenDrifter

Hi again Ron
Okay, I’ve looked again at Jays’s page here: https://radiojayallen.com/tecsun-l-368/
It seems that the long press on 3 with the radio on allows you to  Switch between internal ferrite rod and whip on AM (MW & LW) so I was wrong about that. But I can still find nothing about using the antenna socket for anything other than the supplied plug-in ferrite? Confused I am 🤔.
Drifter

dave_m1ctk

Yes my HRD 747 is great but unfortunately you can't switch to SSB on CB frequencies

On Sun, 6 Mar 2022, 21:18 Mark via groups.io, <metagenetics=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Although not an UL, I've got a Tecsun R9700DX on its way to me. I've liked this radio for a while so looking forward to it arriving. It will also be the first Tecsun radio I've owned.

Still using my R-108, Retekess v117 analogue, (very occasionally the v115, not a huge fan) and little Sony SRF-59 late at night in the Ultralight category.. I don't feel I need another UL just now.

Mark

FenDrifter

Hi Ron
I’m assuming that reply was for me, and if it was I’m slightly confused? Are you referring to the long press on 3 while in MW mode? If so then that wasn’t my understanding of it’s function.  I thought what it did was simply swap MW input between the internal ferrite or the plug-in ferrite? I hope I’m wrong, and from what you’ve said, I am. Please get back.

Drifter

Paul Blundell

That is a nice looking spot.

Paul

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 2:52 PM James Rohrer <Jim.rohrer1955@...> wrote:
 I am hoping the neighbors’ pond helps with reception. Tonight Zoomer Radio out of Toronto broadcast an old Sherlock Holmes radio show.  It was great fun.  Complete with ads for Petry wine, whatever that was.

James Rohrer

 I am hoping the neighbors’ pond helps with reception. Tonight Zoomer Radio out of Toronto broadcast an old Sherlock Holmes radio show.  It was great fun.  Complete with ads for Petry wine, whatever that was.

Ron Layton <micron327@...>

You can use the hidden features and disconnect the internal antenna and whip. Then plug the shortwave antenna into the jack for the ferrite that plugs into the top of the radio. I've done very well with a 30 foot long wire on SW.
73's
Ron

Paul Blundell

Hi James,

Those are all very good points and each of us can approach the hobby in our own way.
The $100 / 20 cubic inch guidelines are only for the awards program, everybody's free to use whatever radios they want for DXing, we don't enforce any limits around the discussion due to size.

I do a mix of both DXing with and without my 3"FSL, I get enjoyment from both methods.

Paul

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 3:05 AM James Rohrer <Jim.rohrer1955@...> wrote:
Choosing my next radio has been embarrassingly difficult for me.  As I understand the UL guidelines, the radio should be less than $100 and less than 20 cubic inches.  My radio now is a Tecsun dr-920c.  I have no complaints but want the next one to have buttons for tuning in addition to the knob.  Many people supplement the AM antenna with one that clips on or plugs in.  Opening up the case is not an option because I would wreck it for sure.  Honestly, I am a little uncomfortable with external antennas because they seem to violate the guidelines for size and affordability.  Does anybody stick with the stock internal antenna?

A rechargeable battery might be nice but since my regular AAs are lasting a long time, maybe that is not necessary.

James Rohrer

Choosing my next radio has been embarrassingly difficult for me.  As I understand the UL guidelines, the radio should be less than $100 and less than 20 cubic inches.  My radio now is a Tecsun dr-920c.  I have no complaints but want the next one to have buttons for tuning in addition to the knob.  Many people supplement the AM antenna with one that clips on or plugs in.  Opening up the case is not an option because I would wreck it for sure.  Honestly, I am a little uncomfortable with external antennas because they seem to violate the guidelines for size and affordability.  Does anybody stick with the stock internal antenna?

A rechargeable battery might be nice but since my regular AAs are lasting a long time, maybe that is not necessary.

FenDrifter

Quite honestly the only thing the 368 lacks (in my opinion) is a shortwave antenna input, but I pick up a fair amount when conditions allow anyway.

Drifter

Paul Blundell

The 368 sounds better and better all the time :)

Paul

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 3:03 PM Ron Layton via groups.io <micron327=zoho.com@groups.io> wrote:
The 368 uses a standard cell phone charger. I have listened to mine while charging but depending on the charger you can pick up some unwanted noise on MW & SW. I bought the charger with 2 extra batteries kit from County Comm and that way I always have 2 fully charged batteries for a quick change out.
73's
Ron

Ron Layton <micron327@...>

The 368 uses a standard cell phone charger. I have listened to mine while charging but depending on the charger you can pick up some unwanted noise on MW & SW. I bought the charger with 2 extra batteries kit from County Comm and that way I always have 2 fully charged batteries for a quick change out.
73's
Ron

James Rohrer

The PL380 does not come with a charger.  If I bought an adapter when buying the radio, would it recharge its batteries as well as powering the radio?

Johnny

Everybody's gear sounds AWESOME!

I need to stop buying radios though!!!

LOL!!!

Johnny

Johnny

Hi Bill,

I just got a Sangean 909X2, and I LOVE It!

It is my favorite radio easily...

But I do still love my Eton Elite Mini and my 2nd favorite amongst the rest of the radios I have.

Really trying to not buy anymore!!!  ;)

I will be in the market for a new radio soon, my latest eBay purchase (not an ultralight radio) arrived faulty so this has gone back today. Once the refund clears, I am thinking of getting a PL-368.

Paul