Why is it?

Ron Layton <micron327@...>

Hope you enjoy the 368! Do you know about the "hidden" features? Heres a link to the SWLing article. Download the spredsheet and you will get the full capabilities of this radio. https://swling.com/blog/?s=PL+368+hidden+features

FenDrifter

Well many thanks to all, this is proof of how helpful this group is to a beginner! A lot of this seems obvious when you’re told it, but that’s true of a lot of things. I suppose in my case I just didn’t give it enough thought. Having said that, there’s stuff above I certainly wouldn’t have worked out!
Once again, thanks to all
Drifter
p.s. My new PL-368 just came through the door, watch for update!

DX Central - Loyd Van Horn (W4LVH)

Echo what Issac said.  

For instance, I am right now working digital modes on 12m.  There are areas I cannot hear right now because propagation doesn’t favor it.  If you were observing you may be able to see me, the station I am calling or both, depending on how the propagation is working for
You.  

This happens even more pronounced as you rise in frequency on the HF band and even into 6m.  There will be many times I can see hams working into China, South Korea, India and other parts of Asia but I can only see the US ham working them.  Propagation path exists for them into Asia but not for me.  

From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io> on behalf of Issac Quincey via groups.io <IssacQuincey@...>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2022 3:45:50 PM
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Why is it?

- One station might be closer than the other?
- Band conditions could be different at the two locations
- Power? One HAM might be uisng 100 watts. The other might be using 5watts or 500watts 

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

------- Original Message -------
On Friday, February 18th, 2022 at 4:01 AM, FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman@...> wrote:

Another beginners question please. Why is it that mainly, in my very limited experience, that received side band transmissions are only heard one way? I got a bit of a shock this afternoon when I heard both sides of a chat while tuned to 7150 kHz sideband, identified as an Englishman called Geoff up in the Orkneys. 

Drifter

Issac Quincey

- One station might be closer than the other?
- Band conditions could be different at the two locations
- Power? One HAM might be uisng 100 watts. The other might be using 5watts or 500watts 

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

------- Original Message -------
On Friday, February 18th, 2022 at 4:01 AM, FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman@...> wrote:

Another beginners question please. Why is it that mainly, in my very limited experience, that received side band transmissions are only heard one way? I got a bit of a shock this afternoon when I heard both sides of a chat while tuned to 7150 kHz sideband, identified as an Englishman called Geoff up in the Orkneys. 

Drifter

Russ Edmunds

The same would be true of other ham transmission modes. It is also true in the area of maritime coastal weather stations and their communications with vessels. Another reason could be greater power and/or more effective antenna for one party to the conversation and the other.

Russ Edmunds

WB2BJH

Blue Bell, PA

Grid FN20id

From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io> on behalf of earl tasca via groups.io <Etasca227@...>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2022 3:20 PM
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io <main@ultralightdx.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Why is it?

I am also learning this for the first time thank you

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022, 2:50 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

It depends on where you are located compared to the two stations.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2022, 4:01 am FenDrifter via groups.io, <essexmarshman=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Drifter

earl tasca

I am also learning this for the first time thank you

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022, 2:50 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

On Fri, 18 Feb 2022, 4:01 am FenDrifter via groups.io, <essexmarshman=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Drifter

Paul Blundell

Drifter

FenDrifter

Drifter