Eton/Grundig Elite Mini - Initial Observations

Johnny

Hi Michael,

Too funny!

Those features don't exist!  ;)

Michael Schuster

The printed instruction manual for my Mini explicitly addresses the dual functions of the front panel buttons for step rate switching. It must be a collector's item ....

As many have noted the online version is written for a previous hardware run and lacks this. Just for fun I emailed Eton about it and was told essentially that there are no such functions and that the online manual is up to date.

Johnny

Hi Jay,

That is so great to know!

Thanks!

Johnny

FenDrifter

Hey Jay
That’s some serious information! Very many thanks for posting, and I’m sure Johnny will be well pleased!
Drifter

radiojayallen

Here's a list of undocumented features:

Though not specified in the manual, the Time, Hour, and Min buttons have dual functions to aid in tuning and controlling the display. This will not charge batteries internally. You will get stereo FM thru a set of headphones or earbuds, and this is shown in the display when "Stereo" comes up. I do not think there is a way to set it to mono.

With the power off, the Hour key cycles the intensity of the Backlight settings, and you can make the display stay on with the power off. The minutes button toggles the MW tuning steps between 9 and 10 KHz.

In shortwave, the Time button will cycle up thru the SW bands, while the min and hrs buttons act like slewing keys and will either single step 5 KHz up or down on short presses, and will seek on longer presses.

In AM, the time button will act like a step up in frequency button 100 KHz. It will not seek. The min and hrs buttons again act like slewing keys and will step up or down 10 KHz, or a long press for seek, up or down.

In FM, the time button will step up 1 MHz, and the min and hrs buttons are again slewing keys , with steps up/down of 100 KHz and a long press for seek up or down.

Most display are to 2 decimal points, but in shortwave, this extends to 3 decimal points on odd (5) frequencies.

FenDrifter

Hi Johnny
Many thanks for that. I’m guessing it doesn’t tune more finely, but we may find out 🙂.
Drifter

Johnny

Hi Drifter,

The "Mini" tunes in 10/9KHZ steps as far as I can tell...  There is a simple button to switch between, aptly labeled "9/10khz".

... looking at the manual I'm not seeing this button or it's use mentioned at all in regards to switching between 9khz and 10khz (the button does however also adjust the alarm and the alarm function gets lots of attention in the manual)...

Anyone else please chime in if you know of a way to tune in finer "steps"...

Johnny

FenDrifter

Johnny, a question I couldn’t find an answer to online, what are the frequency tuning steps on this wee beastie please?
Drifter

surveyor6180@...

No worries, you're not alone!

Johnny

Hi all,

I'm embarrassed to say it, but I find this radio so "handy" that I bought addition units to put in different places in my house/car for "quick ultralight DX'ing"....

Johnny

surveyor6180@...

That's what happened to mine and a Grundig Traveller ll
I cleaned off the Mini as Kevin described and also used a single edge razor blade to scape off the sticky rubber stuff.
The radio looks rough but feels and works great.

kevin asato

The rubberized coating will eventually get rather nasty to the touch. It can be removed with a rubdown with rubbing alcohol. the 90% concentration will work faster but the 70% will work as well. Both require a bit of the armstrong method (aka elbow grease) to successfully remove the coating.
73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 3:44 PM <surveyor6180@...> wrote:
They are so light. The only thing I didn't like was the rubberized coating .

surveyor6180@...

They are so light. The only thing I didn't like was the rubberized coating .

Emily Keene

I got mine out as well. Somewhere, I think I have a couple of them, but I found the newer "Elite" one with the nice orange LED display right away. I had forgotten how much fun it was. All the bands are good, and I got a lot of stations on SW, which surprised me. I'll keep it out for awhile.
Emily Hastings Keene
Pittsburgh, PA

Sent from my Boost Samsung Galaxy A32 5G