What to expect in the US - 9 khz AM band spacing?

Johnny

Great point Jay!

radiojayallen

Although if the radio has a fine tuning mode (1 KHz steps) you could still tune everything. It's just in fast mode where 9 KHz steps vs 10 K makes a difference.

Jay

kevin asato

You may catch a sideband enough to decode the signal properly if within the receiver passband. Or you may end up mistuned enough not to make it through the IF stage. YMMV as you will not end up on or near the 0s when tuning. Sometimes, in the presence of a stronger signal, it really is beneficial to tune "off center" to capture the desired signal.
73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 10:48 AM Johnny via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

What would one expect if they switched to 9 khz AM band channel spacing in the US on the Ultralight radio?

I have never even thought to do it...

Johnny

Peter Laws

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 1:25 PM Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:

Seems like one of my non-ultralight receivers (he said, noting which
list he's replying to) erased all the memories I had set up on the
band when I switched to 9-kHz steps - be forewarned. I don't think my
Tecsun PL-606 does that but don't remember. If it hits 60 F here
today, and it's headed that way, I may take the PL-606 out on the deck
while I work and will test.
Made it to 60 F (just) and fiddled with the PL-606 a bit on the back
deck. Switching steps from 10 to 9 didn't erase the memory presets but
did also change the lower end of FM broadcast to 64 MHz and the
thermometer to degrees C!

I can't recall if it's the default, but the PL-606 tunes in 1-kHz
steps *anyway* unless you start thumbing the wheel quickly and then it
moves by 10 kHz or 9 kHz per step.

Johnny

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up!  ;)

Paul B. Walker, Jr.

With no external antenna and just an ultralight in Michigan, based upon my expierience and knowledge.. id say nothing more then whining hetrodynes.

Paul

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 10:20 AM Johnny via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Paul,

Michigan, USA

No external antenna planned.

Thx!

Johnny

Edited

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the great explanation!

We're at a balmy 37 here, but no complaints, the other morning it was 3 little degrees!

I'll give the 9 khz spacing a try!

Peter Laws

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 1:25 PM Peter Laws via groups.io
<plaws0@...> wrote:

If you are in a location that can receive "TA" or "TP" stations, it's
probably worth a listen to see if you can hear any DX on the 9-kHz
channels. Every 10th channel -- i.e., every 90 kHz -- the two channel
schemes meet and you are unlikely to hear anything but a domestic
station on those channels
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q6On6hYRBcy14v-1LVW5oXGJhmU7L08o0jbNOElEN7g/edit?usp=sharing

I forgot I'd made this. Good I found it before making another! Shows
how both channel schemes mesh.

Peter Laws

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:48 PM Johnny via groups.io
<jlochey@...> wrote:

What would one expect if they switched to 9 khz AM band channel spacing in the US on the Ultralight radio?
Every 10th channel would be clear? :-)

[...]

Where are you and what external antenna are you using?

That is what determines the answer.

Paul