The secret to DX'ing?

Johnny

Hi all,

Okay, so I have acquired quite a few Ultralight DX Radios and must admit, that when you really boil it down, many of these little guys perform essentially the same (give or take, generalizing a bit here).

There really is no "magic bullet" radio that "rules them all" I don't think...

Maybe the secret to good/great DX'ing boils down to DXing OFTEN with the radio that YOU LIKE using the most?

Just an observation....  your mileage (kilometer-age?) may vary....!

Johnny  :)

Paul Blundell

I one hundred percent agree with you on that.

Except for a couple of "duds" I have had, most decent radios work much the same. For me I find listening as much as I can, at different times of the day and night and using a radio I know well, both gives me the most enjoyment and the best results.

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022, 6:52 am Johnny via groups.io, <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

Okay, so I have acquired quite a few Ultralight DX Radios and must admit, that when you really boil it down, many of these little guys perform essentially the same (give or take, generalizing a bit here).

There really is no "magic bullet" radio that "rules them all" I don't think...

Maybe the secret to good/great DX'ing boils down to DXing OFTEN with the radio that YOU LIKE using the most?

Just an observation....  your mileage (kilometer-age?) may vary....!

Johnny  :)

Paul B. Walker, Jr.

location, location, location... is the key next to a good antenna

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 10:52 AM Johnny via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

Okay, so I have acquired quite a few Ultralight DX Radios and must admit, that when you really boil it down, many of these little guys perform essentially the same (give or take, generalizing a bit here).

There really is no "magic bullet" radio that "rules them all" I don't think...

Maybe the secret to good/great DX'ing boils down to DXing OFTEN with the radio that YOU LIKE using the most?

Just an observation....  your mileage (kilometer-age?) may vary....!

Johnny  :)

jcfontario

Knowledge......

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 5:27 PM Paul B. Walker, Jr. <walkerbroadcasting@...> wrote:
location, location, location... is the key next to a good antenna

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 10:52 AM Johnny via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

Okay, so I have acquired quite a few Ultralight DX Radios and must admit, that when you really boil it down, many of these little guys perform essentially the same (give or take, generalizing a bit here).

There really is no "magic bullet" radio that "rules them all" I don't think...

Maybe the secret to good/great DX'ing boils down to DXing OFTEN with the radio that YOU LIKE using the most?

Just an observation....  your mileage (kilometer-age?) may vary....!

Johnny  :)

Peter Laws

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 1:52 PM Johnny via groups.io
<jlochey@...> wrote:

Maybe the secret to good/great DX'ing boils down to DXing OFTEN with the radio that YOU LIKE using the most?

Gilles, every week on the International Radio Report, says that the
best way to know what's on is to turn on your radio and tune around.

Sound advice, I'd say.

Antennas really are where the "money" is. Best receiver in the world
doesn't mean much if the antenna is a straightened out paperclip.

Issac Quincey

For me, it is just listening and seeing what I can hear. My equipment is not within scope for this group but will be in the very near future.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

jlochey@... wrote:

Maybe the secret to good/great DX'ing boils down to DXing OFTEN with the radio that YOU LIKE using the most?
Gilles, every week on the International Radio Report, says that the

best way to know what's on is to turn on your radio and tune around.

Sound advice, I'd say.

Antennas really are where the "money" is. Best receiver in the world

doesn't mean much if the antenna is a straightened out paperclip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kevin asato

That's what started it for me when i built a Radio Shack Globe Patrol. Not ultralight but i used to spend hours just randomly tuning around to find things. Later, i would go to the library to look things up in World Radio and TV to verify what i was hearing. This was all pre-internet of course.

Now, i tune around with smaller radios and somewhat do the same (just added a CC Crane Pocket to my emergency kit). Only now i can verify things much easier with online references. i also have a few more tuning aids available such as a Terk Advantage with wire antenna and ground connections plugged in but still run barefoot mostly; a challenge in the Los Angeles RF Alley. The first night with the CC Crane i heard KNX (Los Angeles, 1070, 50KW) from Spokane, WA from my hotel room. Currently am hearing KTNN, The Navaho Network, in Window Rock, AZ (660KHz, 50KW directional) at about an S1 level and fading. Sometimes i also hear KTAR in PHX (620KHz) but much harder as transmit power is much lower. Pretty good listening as i have to work around the 640-KFI 50KW blowtorch.

i don't hear nearly the amount of stations others do, but it's the amount of time i use for listening versus other activities.

73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 9:35 PM Issac Quincey via groups.io <IssacQuincey=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
For me, it is just listening and seeing what I can hear. My equipment is not within scope for this group but will be in the very near future.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 1:52 PM Johnny via groups.io
>
> jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
>
> > Maybe the secret to good/great DX'ing boils down to DXing OFTEN with the radio that YOU LIKE using the most?
>
> Gilles, every week on the International Radio Report, says that the
>
> best way to know what's on is to turn on your radio and tune around.
>
> Sound advice, I'd say.
>
> Antennas really are where the "money" is. Best receiver in the world
>
> doesn't mean much if the antenna is a straightened out paperclip.
>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johnny

Hi Kevin,

I'm in the same boat as you...

Grew up pre-internet, listening to ANYTHING I could hear...

Now I get a kick out of seeing what I can hear on these little radios.  I'm kind of a minimalist and rarely even break out my passive AM loop, and mostly run barefoot.

I have only a couple of loose goals in mind for 2022 as far as DX'ing goes...  but nothing too grandiose!  ;)

I only can devote about 30-60 mins a day to the hobby because of other obligations/work/etc, thus my "catches" are few and far between, but it's all fun, so no loss!  :)

Right now I'm playing around with the impressive (to me!) reception that I seem to get on my Eton/Grundig Mini.  Kind of love this little guy for just ease/fun of use.  And surprisingly good on AM for its ridiculously small size, LOL!

Issac Quincey

The CC pocket looks like a cool little radio. Does it work well for you?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

That's what started it for me when i built a Radio Shack Globe Patrol. Not ultralight but i used to spend hours just randomly tuning around to find things. Later, i would go to the library to look things up in World Radio and TV to verify what i was hearing. This was all pre-internet of course.

Now, i tune around with smaller radios and somewhat do the same (just added a CC Crane Pocket to my emergency kit). Only now i can verify things much easier with online references. i also have a few more tuning aids available such as a Terk Advantage with wire antenna and ground connections plugged in but still run barefoot mostly; a challenge in the Los Angeles RF Alley. The first night with the CC Crane i heard KNX (Los Angeles, 1070, 50KW) from Spokane, WA from my hotel room. Currently am hearing KTNN, The Navaho Network, in Window Rock, AZ (660KHz, 50KW directional) at about an S1 level and fading. Sometimes i also hear KTAR in PHX (620KHz) but much harder as transmit power is much lower. Pretty good listening as i have to work around the 640-KFI 50KW blowtorch.

i don't hear nearly the amount of stations others do, but it's the amount of time i use for listening versus other activities.

73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 9:35 PM Issac Quincey via groups.io <IssacQuincey=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
For me, it is just listening and seeing what I can hear. My equipment is not within scope for this group but will be in the very near future.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 1:52 PM Johnny via groups.io
>
> jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
>
> > Maybe the secret to good/great DX'ing boils down to DXing OFTEN with the radio that YOU LIKE using the most?
>
> Gilles, every week on the International Radio Report, says that the
>
> best way to know what's on is to turn on your radio and tune around.
>
> Sound advice, I'd say.
>
> Antennas really are where the "money" is. Best receiver in the world
>
> doesn't mean much if the antenna is a straightened out paperclip.
>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Laws

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 11:35 PM Issac Quincey via groups.io
<IssacQuincey@...> wrote:

For me, it is just listening and seeing what I can hear. My equipment is not within scope for this group but will be in the very near future.
Bad news, guy: equipment doesn't matter.

You can DX on a crystal radio. Many of us lay in bed 50 years ago
listening to stations hundreds of miles away on cheap "transistors".

It's a hobby. If the radio works, it's "in scope". Will you hear as
much as someone with 6000 m of wire connected to their brand new
IC-R8600? No. Will you have fun? Yes.

And that's it!

Let me flip that around to make the point: If you listened to your
cheap transistor (there I go again - they've all used transistors for
well over 50 years, it's just that now they are submicroscopic!) every
night, logged every station you heard and figured out where each one
was, you'd be miles ahead of the aforementioned straw man with the
high-dollar Icom if he only turns it on once and a while and listens
to a baseball game from the coast.

Your stuff is "in scope"! :-)

I think his point was that he does not have any "ultralight" radios at the moment.

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 9:53 AM Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 11:35 PM Issac Quincey via groups.io
<IssacQuincey=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

> For me, it is just listening and seeing what I can hear. My equipment is not within scope for this group but will be in the very near future.

Bad news, guy: equipment doesn't matter.

You can DX on a crystal radio. Many of us lay in bed 50 years ago
listening to stations hundreds of miles away on cheap "transistors".

It's a hobby.  If the radio works, it's "in scope".  Will you hear as
much as someone with 6000 m of wire connected to their brand new
IC-R8600?  No. Will you have fun?  Yes.

And that's it!

Let me flip that around to make the point:  If you listened to your
cheap transistor (there I go again - they've all used transistors for
well over 50 years, it's just that now they are submicroscopic!) every
night, logged every station you heard and figured out where each one
was, you'd be miles ahead of the aforementioned straw man with the
high-dollar Icom if he only turns it on once and a while and listens
to a baseball game from the coast.

Your stuff is "in scope"!  :-)

kevin asato

it's an OK radio. I think the old Sony transistor AM radios i grew up with had better ears. Then again, i listened to the bigger signals in the LA area when growing up - KFI, KHJ, KNX, KMPC, KTNQ; now i am fishing for the weaker signals. FM and WX reception are best done with the little supplied tail (ground fly lead) or with earbuds/headset. AM seems a bit deaf but i have been using it in a noisy room with lots of electronics radiating. i need to take it for.a walk around the neighborhood to see if things improve.

Again, i bought it mainly for my emergency and travel bag. This is one in the same as i sometimes travel to Public Safety repeater sites and having the Weather Alert function is a good to have when working outside. (I also carry an emergency food cache and supplies inside the bag if there is need to camp out at the site). The radio can also be set for international AM stations with a 9KHz setting which i hope to use when i finally get the opportunity to travel to Guam. This will also extend the FM band. i used this feature on another radio when in Tokyo which has many FM broadcasters in this lower part of the FM band. May get to try this in Guam if I can DX the FM band.

73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 2:43 PM Issac Quincey via groups.io <IssacQuincey=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
The CC pocket looks like a cool little radio. Does it work well for you?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

That's what started it for me when i built a Radio Shack Globe Patrol. Not ultralight but i used to spend hours just randomly tuning around to find things. Later, i would go to the library to look things up in World Radio and TV to verify what i was hearing. This was all pre-internet of course.

Now, i tune around with smaller radios and somewhat do the same (just added a CC Crane Pocket to my emergency kit). Only now i can verify things much easier with online references. i also have a few more tuning aids available such as a Terk Advantage with wire antenna and ground connections plugged in but still run barefoot mostly; a challenge in the Los Angeles RF Alley. The first night with the CC Crane i heard KNX (Los Angeles, 1070, 50KW) from Spokane, WA from my hotel room. Currently am hearing KTNN, The Navaho Network, in Window Rock, AZ (660KHz, 50KW directional) at about an S1 level and fading. Sometimes i also hear KTAR in PHX (620KHz) but much harder as transmit power is much lower. Pretty good listening as i have to work around the 640-KFI 50KW blowtorch.

i don't hear nearly the amount of stations others do, but it's the amount of time i use for listening versus other activities.

73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 9:35 PM Issac Quincey via groups.io <IssacQuincey=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
For me, it is just listening and seeing what I can hear. My equipment is not within scope for this group but will be in the very near future.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 1:52 PM Johnny via groups.io
>
> jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
>
> > Maybe the secret to good/great DX'ing boils down to DXing OFTEN with the radio that YOU LIKE using the most?
>
> Gilles, every week on the International Radio Report, says that the
>
> best way to know what's on is to turn on your radio and tune around.
>
> Sound advice, I'd say.
>
> Antennas really are where the "money" is. Best receiver in the world
>
> doesn't mean much if the antenna is a straightened out paperclip.
>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Laws

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 8:03 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

I think his point was that he does not have any "ultralight" radios at the moment.
What I hear you saying ... is that I am supposed to remember which of
the 532 radio lists to which I subscribe that I am posting to at any
given time. Hmm. I will consider it.

(you're right of course - my apologies - I just hate it when people
think their stuff isn't up-to-snuff when it's likely fine)

Yeah. Difference between "my radio is not very good" and "my radio is not within the guidelines for this group".

It is hard to keep track of who is who and who has what gear / previously posted about subject x or y.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022, 3:36 am Peter Laws, <plaws0@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 8:03 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

> I think his point was that he does not have any "ultralight" radios at the moment.

What I hear you saying ... is that I am supposed to remember which of
the 532 radio lists to which I subscribe that I am posting to at any
given time.  Hmm.  I will consider it.

(you're right of course - my apologies - I just hate it when people
think their stuff isn't up-to-snuff when it's likely fine)

Issac Quincey

Excellent reply, it sounds like it is an okay radio but nothing to write home about.

I have my eye on a couple of different models to get myself started. The only small radio I have hear only has manual tuning so it is very hard to know what I am listening to.

> [...]

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 1:52 PM Johnny via groups.io
>
> jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
>
> > Maybe the secret to good/great DX'ing boils down to DXing OFTEN with the radio that YOU LIKE using the most?
>
> Gilles, every week on the International Radio Report, says that the
>
> best way to know what's on is to turn on your radio and tune around.
>
> Sound advice, I'd say.
>
> Antennas really are where the "money" is. Best receiver in the world
>
> doesn't mean much if the antenna is a straightened out paperclip.
>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issac Quincey

By that, I meant no ultralight radios. It would not be fair of me to share anything I have logged as the equipment used is not the same level as the rest of you.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

I think his point was that he does not have any "ultralight" radios at the moment.
What I hear you saying ... is that I am supposed to remember which of

the 532 radio lists to which I subscribe that I am posting to at any

given time. Hmm. I will consider it.

(you're right of course - my apologies - I just hate it when people

think their stuff isn't up-to-snuff when it's likely fine)

Mike Irizarry

Yes and patience and have fun. I try to follow both but fail miserably.