Hobbies in Public Areas

Paul Blundell

How do people who undertake their hobbies in public areas handle any questions or concerns from members of the public?

Yesterday I was out at a local park and had my full kit with me, I was setup in an area well away from the playground and not close to any houses, not long after setting up, I have somebody make the effort to walk over to where I was and asked me what I was doing, why I was doing it and did I have a permit? I did try to explain that it was not amateur radio and that I don't need a license for it as it is receiving only (as a side note, I do have my AOCPF).

This is not the first time this has happened. I try to undertake my portable sessions away from people, at less popular / busy parks, not near the playground (unless I have my kids with me), not too early or late in the day and I don't set up too much equipment at once.

Back in my radio scanning days, this used to be an issue, it seems that in 20 years, not much has changed :(

Chris Rogers

Hi Paul,
I find people are generally curious when they see radio equipment set up and like to know what you are doing. I generally tell them it is Amateur (ham) radio as most people have heard of that it is the easiest way to quickly get back to what you are doing rather than talking about MW dxing of which they will probably not understand.
Of course having the public come up to you often is a real interruption to your hobby so my advice is to stay clear of public parks and find quieter remote bush areas etc away so you don't have these interactions.

Paul B. Walker, Jr.

I DX from the top of my driveway here in McGrath, Alaska... on a very public road. When i first got here, everyone in this small town wondered what i was doing.. and tons asked.. now everyones used to it and seeing me outside in all kidns of weather, so they leave me alone.  Some people did genuinely think i was trying to talk to aliens.

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 1:42 PM Chris Rogers <crvee8@...> wrote:
Hi Paul,
I find people are generally curious when they see radio equipment set up and like to know what you are doing. I generally tell them it is Amateur (ham) radio as most people have heard of that it is the easiest way to quickly get back to what you are doing rather than talking about MW dxing of which they will probably not understand.
Of course having the public come up to you often is a real interruption to your hobby so my advice is to stay clear of public parks and find quieter remote bush areas etc away so you don't have these interactions.

Max Heidel

Hah, same here. I like to get out in the fresh air with my ham gear and inevitably someone asks if I'm talking to Mars, or little green men.

Only maybe 99% of the time it's when I'm about to break through a pileup with some DX station, too.

I think it's OK, and I don't mind it, but I do try to minimize it. If I can go somewhere without a lot of people, it's just better all around.

Paul Blundell

Thanks Chris. A good point about going bush, I will need to find some suitable locations.

Paul

On Sun, 2 Jan 2022, 9:42 am Chris Rogers, <crvee8@...> wrote:
Hi Paul,
I find people are generally curious when they see radio equipment set up and like to know what you are doing. I generally tell them it is Amateur (ham) radio as most people have heard of that it is the easiest way to quickly get back to what you are doing rather than talking about MW dxing of which they will probably not understand.
Of course having the public come up to you often is a real interruption to your hobby so my advice is to stay clear of public parks and find quieter remote bush areas etc away so you don't have these interactions.

Paul Blundell

That's very true. Glad they got use to you and your dxing.

Paul

On Sun, 2 Jan 2022, 9:55 am Paul B. Walker, Jr., <walkerbroadcasting@...> wrote:
[...]

I think with Covid, keeping away from people is a really good idea and an extra reason to dx in more remote locations.

Pqul

On Sun, 2 Jan 2022, 10:06 am Max Heidel, <max.heidel@...> wrote:
Hah, same here. I like to get out in the fresh air with my ham gear and inevitably someone asks if I'm talking to Mars, or little green men.

Only maybe 99% of the time it's when I'm about to break through a pileup with some DX station, too.

I think it's OK, and I don't mind it, but I do try to minimize it. If I can go somewhere without a lot of people, it's just better all around.

Phil Pasteur

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 05:17 AM, Paul Blundell wrote:
AOCPF
Hey Paul, what is the  AOCPF  that you mention? Just curious. From context I have to think it is some kind of license or permit. Google not helpful.
BTW, I have not had much interest when I have been out with Ultralights and in ear monitors. I get all kinds of people checking me out if I take a telescope out...

Paul Blundell

It is our entry level amateur radio licence for Australia. I gained mine in around 2008 but have not renewed it since 2010, I don't have the space for it at the moment  maybe one day.

  • FOUNDATION: The AOCP(F) syllabus and related examination reflects the minimum level of knowledge, skills and experiences required to safely assemble and operate an amateur station at an entry level, without interference to other users and services.

On Sun, 2 Jan 2022, 10:59 am Phil Pasteur via groups.io, <ppasteur=q.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 05:17 AM, Paul Blundell wrote:
AOCPF
Hey Paul, what is the  AOCPF  that you mention? Just curious. From context I have to think it is some kind of license or permit. Google not helpful.
BTW, I have not had much interest when I have been out with Ultralights and in ear monitors. I get all kinds of people checking me out if I take a telescope out...

Zacharias Liangas

Edited

Νeaely the same thinking in Greece.
My mom proposed me not to test shortwaves even in not so populous roads

As for the moment had not any problem
The most common I do is to walk across a piscine with the pl330 radio hung on the right hand ,using earbuds and with medium detached 🐜 ena.

Paul Blundell

Glad it is not just a "local" thing here.

Paul

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 7:37 AM Zacharias Liangas via groups.io <zliangas=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Νeaely the same in Greece.
My mom proposed me not to test shortwaves even in not so populous roads
As for the moment had not any problem

Phillips

Occasionally I set up a long DOG (Dipole On Ground) over the local soccer field to do a bit of after-dark MWDX away from household interference sources.  Maybe it is my body language but few people question what I am doing.

I tell those that do ask that I am taking seismology readings because that soccer field is directly over the most active earthquake fault line in Australia and that a 'quake is overdue (both true).  Seems to satisfy them a lot easier than trying to explain DX.

[...]

That is a great answer. When I had a "branded" work van, that also helped to keep people away.

On Mon, 3 Jan 2022, 10:02 am Phillips, <phillicom@...> wrote:
[...]

Guero

That's a great ruse! Is there a particular receiver that lets you maintain the illusion of "scientific test equipment"?

--Dave

On Sun, Jan 2, 2022, 18:02 Phillips <phillicom@...> wrote:
[...]

Neil Kazaross

Rather than a dipole on the ground for AM, try a 100 metre long BOG across that field. Just lay the wire on the ground and have at it.  73 KAZ

On Sun, Jan 2, 2022 at 5:42 PM Dave Dufeau <davedufeau@...> wrote:
[...]

DX Pedro

I actually don't care about it. I just hold my radios wear headphones and if i catch something interesting point the camera at it. or record it. If not breaking any law, i dont bother to explain it to anyone that dont ask.
Peace.

// pedro andrade

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 2:17 AM Neil Kazaross <neilkaz58@...> wrote:
[...]

Johnny

Hi all,

I think here in semi-rural Michigan (USA), no one would even ask...

Most places that have population, have a very low population of rural folk, that probably just wouldn't care...

I'd be amazed if someone even said something, LOL!

Johnny

DX Pedro

That last line says it all.
Unfortunately i dont live ona rural area, but sad part is people seem to be afraid to talk with others. They are terribly focused and closed on themselves. It would be wonderful to actually have to explain what the heck i'm doing with a radio on my hand and a long wire (or any other type of antenna). Maybe i could bring someone else to the dark side :D

// pedro andrade

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 2:10 PM Johnny via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

I think here in semi-rural Michigan (USA), no one would even ask...

Most places that have population, have a very low population of rural folk, that probably just wouldn't care...

I'd be amazed if someone even said something, LOL!

Johnny

Mike Irizarry

I have never had that experience. I just set up and do my thing. If I were asked the question, I would want to say mind your own business. However, that would be rude. I would probably ask why they were interested and proceed from there.

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 6:17 AM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

[...]

Sounds like things are more "touchy" in this area outside of the US?

Not sure if I'm correct on that....  could just be larger city vs smaller city/town worldwide...

Johnny