Tecsun PL-330 Absolute beginner!

FenDrifter

Hi all
My first post here, and bear in mind I know nothing! To compound that problem I’m an OLD man. Okay, a brand new PL-330 turned up yesterday and I realised that was a lot more complicated than my previous Tivdio V-115. I will probably have a 1001 more questions, but for now just one. When using with headphones for the first time last night I was a bit surprised to find that when I switched the radio off (headphones still on) the sound didn’t immediately stop, but faded away. Is this a feature of this radio or a fault please?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Rémy Friess

Hi,
Mine does the same. This doesn't seem to be a fault.
73, R.F.

Le 23/12/2021 à 18:35, FenDrifter via groups.io a écrit :
Hi all
My first post here, and bear in mind I know nothing! To compound that problem I’m an OLD man. Okay, a brand new PL-330 turned up yesterday and I realised that was a lot more complicated than my previous Tivdio V-115. I will probably have a 1001 more questions, but for now just one. When using with headphones for the first time last night I was a bit surprised to find that when I switched the radio off (headphones still on) the sound didn’t immediately stop, but faded away. Is this a feature of this radio or a fault please?
Any help greatly appreciated.

FenDrifter

Many thanks Réme for answering such a stupid question!

Guero

Actually a very interesting question! My pl330 does the same whether I am using headphones or the internal speaker. Maybe a capacitor to the audio amp is losing the last of it's charge after the switch is thrown?

--Dave

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021, 17:54 FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Many thanks Réme for answering such a stupid question!

FenDrifter

I have to admit that even with my extremely limited knowledge, it did occur to me that it might possibly be related to a discharging capacitor Dave. I’ll check if mine does the same thing with the speaker.

FenDrifter

You’re right Dave, it does fade away on the speaker also. I still find it odd even though it’s not a fault.
Thanks for your help
Drifter

Gary Sargent

Mine does the slow audio fade as well .. I believe many consider it a feature! I'd choose the slow fad over an abrupt cut off of audio and perhaps with an audio click or pop.

Gary KE8WO

Ron Layton <micron327@...>

I own a Sangean ATS 803A that I bought in 1986. It did the same thing from day 1 and is still plugging along and still has about half a second of audio fade out after the power switch is pressed. I would imagine its a capacitance discharge. Obviously not a serious issue as far as harming the radio.

Paul Blundell

I have had other radios which also do this.

Paul

On Sat, 25 Dec 2021, 8:46 am Ron Layton via groups.io, <micron327=zoho.com@groups.io> wrote:
I own a Sangean ATS 803A that I bought in 1986. It did the same thing from day 1 and is still plugging along and still has about half a second of audio fade out after the power switch is pressed. I would imagine its a capacitance discharge. Obviously not a serious issue as far as harming the radio.

FenDrifter

Thanks all. I’m beginning to think Gary’s right and it might actually be beneficial. Anyway, Merry Christmas!
Drifter

Johnny

Many of my radios do the same!

C'mon now FenDrifter, there are no stupid questions!!!  :)

We all love radios, so talking about them doesn't bother us!

Johnny  :)