FSL Antenna

Gary DeBock

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 01:12 AM, John Vinther Nielsen wrote:
i just waiting on better propagation to USA and Canada, It have been very bad for a long time.
Yes John,

The transoceanic propagation this season has been very poor compared to last year at this time, and even the best FSL's cannot receive much transoceanic DX under such bad conditions.
When the propagation improves, I am sure that you will have a lot of DXing success with your new 3.5 inch FSL antenna. Good luck, and happy new year!

73, Gary

John Vinther Nielsen

Thanks Gary for your help, yes this was the one I trye to copy with 200x10mm suplus and 660/46 Linz wire and 384 pf Capacitor from Mike in USA. its seem to be okay on the hole mediumband
so now i just waiting on better propagation to USA and Canada, It have been very bad for a long time.
73*s John

Gary DeBock

John,

After some research I found the FSL design that you used to build your antenna-- it is the 3.5 inch Long Rod model used in the 2012 FSL Antenna Optimization article-- both of which are attached with this email. You probably used the 660/46 Litz wire for this model, as in the design photo.

The number of 200mm x 10mm Russian surplus ferrite rods depends on the diameter of your inner core material, which is probably a little larger than mine. So, 24 ferrite rods is no problem in your design, as long as you have 530-1700 kHz coverage from your Litz wire coil. Best wishes for great DX!

73, Gary

Gary DeBock

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 11:52 AM, John Vinther Nielsen wrote:

I have built an FSL antenna 3.5 Long rod, on the drawing it seems that 23 surplus is needed, I have used 24 must there be  changed on 27 tuns Linz wire or is this OK. and I use a 384 pf capacitor.

 Another issue is there is too much noise indoors for this type of antenna.

73*s from

John Vinther Nielsen

Herning, Denmark

Hello John,

Congratulations on your FSL antenna construction, and thank you for the photo.

The number of ferrite rods and Litz wire turns necessary for Medium Wave (530-1700 kHz) band coverage in an FSL antenna depend on which type of ferrite rods you are using (the permeability, inductance and diameter) and also which type of Litz wire you are using (the inductance and diameter). Different manufacturers use different materials for construction, so if you want to use an FSL design photo as your guide in building your own FSL, it is only accurate for duplication if you use the exact same type of ferrite rods and Litz wire as the FSL in the design photo. The diameter of the material you use for an inner core also can affect the number of ferrite rods you will need to make a cylindrical shape of ferrite rods.

In my own FSL antennas, for standardized design, I always use Russian surplus ferrite rods or bars (400 permeability), 1162/46 Litz wire from the eBay seller "Mkmak222," and a "384P" variable cap from Mike's Electronic Parts. If you are not using these components, or if you are not using a rubber plumbing coupler of the same diameter as mine for the inner core, then your design will be different than mine, and you may need a different number of ferrite rods, or a different number of Litz wire turns to have the full 530-1700 kHz coverage. Your FSL will probably work very similar to mine, but just have slightly different components. If somebody wants to make an all-new FSL design, my recommendation would be to use whatever ferrite rods and support material you have on hand, and then wind a Litz wire coil that will give you full 530-1700 kHz coverage, regardless of the type of Litz wire. Experimentation can be a lot of fun, so be creative, and your FSL will probably be very effective in tracking down the DX, John!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

John Vinther Nielsen