Sony SRF-59

M.I.H.0 <metagenetics@...>

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the above pocket radio as an ultralight MW DX machine?

I picked one of these up on ebay, on a recommendation and it's arrived this afternoon. It's in fantastic condition.

Many thanks,
Mark.

Bob Coomler

That is the little guy that pulled a number of us into ULR DXing years ago. The tuning is a little touchy, but the SRF-59 definitely punches way above it's weight. I still have my first one and enjoy pulling it out of the drawer to give it some exercise. Have fun.

Bob Coomler W7SWL
Tucson, AZ

On Saturday, December 4, 2021, 08:03:22 AM MST, M.I.H.0 via groups.io <metagenetics@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the above pocket radio as an ultralight MW DX machine?

I picked one of these up on ebay, on a recommendation and it's arrived this afternoon. It's in fantastic condition.

Many thanks,
Mark.

M.I.H.0 <metagenetics@...>

Hi Bob,

Thanks for this, I'm happy to hear that you still like to switch your one on from time to time - I've read great reports about these online.

Looking forward to the darker hours tonight.

All the best,
Mark.

Les Rayburn

I keep a Sony SRF-59 in the bedstead with a small pair of earbuds. While the tuning is tricky, the radio has several advantages. Super share nulls by rotating the until slowly both in a circle, and also be tilting it to various angles. It’s also very sensitive, and fairly selective despite the wide-open filters.

My wife loves it because it produces no dial light, and doesn’t keep her awake while I DX. I’ve put quite a few new ones in the book with it. Even have a brand-new until still sealed in the back for the day when my bedside model finally gives up the ghost. Great value.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

NRC & IRCA Courtesy Program Committee Chairman
Member WTFDA, MWC

Perseus SDR, Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy + Discovery, SDRPlay RSP-2 Pro, Sony XDR-F1HD [XDR Guy Modified], Dennon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1X, Ray Dees RDS Decoders, Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Kitz Technologies KT-501 Pre-amps, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.

“Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else’s favorite song…”

On Dec 4, 2021, at 9:46 AM, M.I.H.0 via groups.io <metagenetics@...> wrote:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for this, I'm happy to hear that you still like to switch your one on from time to time - I've read great reports about these online.

Looking forward to the darker hours tonight.

All the best,
Mark.

Michael.2E0IHW

I use mine for many hours every day and often at  night.
I superglued a better clip onto the back as it kept coming off the belt.

It out-performs anything of its size - or bigger -  that I have.

The innards could be re-purposed with an air-spaced tuning capacitor
and dial,  and an AF amp to make a superb little radio.

Michael UK

On 04/12/2021 15:03, M.I.H.0 via groups.io wrote:
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the above pocket radio as an ultralight MW DX machine?

I picked one of these up on ebay, on a recommendation and it's arrived this afternoon. It's in fantastic condition.

Many thanks,
Mark.

earl tasca

Yes it is a good am dx toy for at night I had one and think I may still have a new one they came blister packed playing with a new 368👍

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021, 10:03 AM M.I.H.0 via groups.io <metagenetics=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the above pocket radio as an ultralight MW DX machine?

I picked one of these up on ebay, on a recommendation and it's arrived this afternoon. It's in fantastic condition.

Many thanks,
Mark.

Gary DeBock

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 07:03 AM, Mark wrote:
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the above pocket radio as an ultralight MW DX machine?

I picked one of these up on ebay, on a recommendation and it's arrived this afternoon. It's in fantastic condition.

Many thanks,
Hi Mark,

The SRF-59 was the Ultralight radio that kicked off the Ultralight radio craze in late 2007. A full review of the model is posted on the DXer.Ca website at Sony SRF-59 Reviewed (dxer.ca)

My own interest in the model happened because of the chance receptions of the transoceanic DX stations 594-JOAK, 747-JOIB and 972 HLCA on a stock SRF-59 shortly after local midnight in November of 2007. The 1000+ DXer craze happened after Colin published my SRF-59 review on DXer.Ca, and a mass stampede into the Ultralight radio niche group kicked off, "hijacking" the IRCA list until the SDR users politely asked us to form our own Yahoo group.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

radiojayallen

My original one is still going strong too.

Jay

Phil Pasteur

What Gary said is the reason I bought my first one. I think I purchased 8 of them over time. Mostly for under $10 a piece. <SIGH>I found a guy that recommended swapping a few caps for better audio with good instructions. I did that and that really made a difference in the sound quality. I did that to 4 or 5 of them. Gave most to friends, but still have 3 of them.  I use one on average 20 hours per week. Lasts forever on a single AA. Great radio except for the tuning. I used to keep two set to specific locals so I didn't have to search for them. Lots of info on how to mitigate that out there if you look. Using a FSL with one makes for amazing sessions!
A great toy to use to  play with Ultra Light DXing.
Good buy. Have fun!

Phillip Fimiani

I saw pics once of someone that gutting the radio and mounted it on some wood... to put a CD disk on the dial... improved the tuning control immensely.  I prepped a cd in the microwave... about 15 to 30 seconds... it crackles the disk coating.. Looks cool. Only a few lightning bolts in the microwave lol...

Mortimer says "Stay Safe"
Best Regards
Phil
KD2HTN / WA2069SWL
Long: 34.210293 Lat:-78.057048
FM04xf 30dl

--
73
Phil

Richard Allen

It was the first ultralight receiver many of us early ULR DXers began with.  A very low-cost receiver with minimal controls.  My only complaint with it was the stiff, recessed tuning control making it difficult to change frequencies especially at the high-end of the band, and many of us soon tuned to alternatives.

Good DX.

Richard Allen.