Ultralight Radio DXing Go Bag December 2021

Paul Blundell

Just an update on this, I have made some changes and have reposted this (the original URL above does not work anymore)

New write up and photos here: https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2021/12/ultralight-radio-dxing-go-bag-mk2.html

Paul Blundell

Over the past few months I have been looking at improving the way I carry my ultralight DXing kit. I started a new job in September which sees me more office bound at our CBD office and also working from home a few days a week, this has meant that my ad-hoc portable sessions (such as during my lunch breaks when I was close to a park) have now stopped. Any portable sessions are now only when I have planned them or on the rare chance I get time to do them. I used to keep my kit in my car in a hard carry case and grab it out as needed, now I don't have a car, this has been sitting at home, not getting used that often.

Due to my lack of transport, I have been focusing on portable sessions closer to home. To undertake these, I have been carrying my kit by hand. Due to the size and weight of my case, I have limited these to the areas close to home.

Over the weekend I undertook a potable session and noticed that my arm got sore on the walk home. I was looking in the shed and found my old camera bag. I decided to find a way to use this to carry my ultralight DXing kit.

After trying a few different layouts, I decided that having my 3" FSL in the bottom with my radios above this was the best layout. I cut a plastic container to act as a shield for this and added some foam to the bottom and back to keep it in place and protect my 3" FSL.

This provides a good level of protection, it does not stand out as much as a hard case and it is easier to carry over longer distances, it also has enough spare room for any extra radios I get.