Counterpoise question

Jock Elliott

A technician at CCrane suggested that, if I wanted to squeeze more performance out of my Skywave SSB on the HF bands, I might consider attaching a counterpoise to the mini (or micro, not sure) USB port on the side of the radio. Buy a mini-USB cable and pull the center pin out of it, he said, and you are now grounded to the chassis of the radio.

Question: how long should the countpoise be? As long as the whip antenna? As long as any antenna attached to the whip?

Apologies in advance: my knowledge of antenna theory is so limited that "zero knowledge" would be an upgrade for me.

Michael.2E0IHW

Jock,

A counterpoise some distance from the house will help close to  its natural frequency.
It can, however, be tuned like an "earth tuner" to cover a wide band of frequencies.
This may or may not help, as it might "attract" noise from nearby appliances.

Also, it will introduce imbalance as the telescopic antenna would remain "untuned".

Look for "earth tuner" on the dreaded web and experiment!

The best solution  remains the FSL optio reception  for medium-wave
and a tuned frame-aerial for shortwave.+

Michael UK

On 25/08/2021 12:51, Jock Elliott wrote:
A technician at CCrane suggested that, if I wanted to squeeze more performance out of my Skywave SSB on the HF bands, I might consider attaching a counterpoise to the mini (or micro, not sure) USB port on the side of the radio. Buy a mini-USB cable and pull the center pin out of it, he said, and you are now grounded to the chassis of the radio.

Question: how long should the countpoise be? As long as the whip antenna? As long as any antenna attached to the whip?

Apologies in advance: my knowledge of antenna theory is so limited that "zero knowledge" would be an upgrade for me.

kevin asato

The CC Pocket does something similar with FM reception. They either use the headphones or a special lead to the ground side of the headphone jack as a counterpoise. It definitely does aid RM reception; not sure how it would enhance HF bands as it have to be considerably longer to be effective. The enclosed counterpoise is 31" long which is about right for the FM broadcast band. I cut off the encapsulated end of the counterpoise and added an alligator clip to extend as required. You may need to do something similar.
73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 9:31 AM Michael.2E0IHW via groups.io <blumu=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Paul Blundell

I am not sure how that would work but it is worth a try I guess.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 9:51 PM Jock Elliott <jock.elliott@...> wrote:
A technician at CCrane suggested that, if I wanted to squeeze more performance out of my Skywave SSB on the HF bands, I might consider attaching a counterpoise to the mini (or micro, not sure) USB port on the side of the radio. Buy a mini-USB cable and pull the center pin out of it, he said, and you are now grounded to the chassis of the radio.

Question: how long should the countpoise be? As long as the whip antenna? As long as any antenna attached to the whip?

Apologies in advance: my knowledge of antenna theory is so limited that "zero knowledge" would be an upgrade for me.

radiojayallen

A counterpoise or artificial ground can indeed enhance reception but is always trial and error as its effectiveness may vary from one situation to the next. To do this you need to access the radio's chassis ground which could usually be done most easily by connection to the shield (outer part) of the USB plug or headphone jack. You could also connect to the negative battery terminal but this is not always physically easy.

The counterpoise itself could be just a piece of wire and generally something perhaps 10 feet or so should be good but there is no real limit on this. This wire could just be layed on the floor but one question I have is have you tried an external antenna already?. You will probably get more boost by using a wire antenna...I would do that first, and the counterpoise secondly. This antenna could be a wire perhaps 20-30 feet long (such as one of those common reel-up antennas) clipped to the whip.

Jay

radiojayallen

Actually, the CC Pocket and other earbud radios with no whip antenna use the earphone cord as an antenna, not a counterpoise.

Jay

Jock Elliott

Yes, the CCrane Skywave SSB comes with a roll-up wire antenna, and it works well. But sometimes it is not so handy to deploy, and the tech at CCrane had mentioned using the mini usb socket as a connection for a counterpoise.

Thanks, Jay.