My Super-Ultralight AM DX'ing Quest

Johnny <jlochey@...>

Hi all,

I have recently embarked on a "side" Ultralight DX'ing endeavor.  What I call my "Super-Ultralight AM DX'ing Quest".

I have acquired an Analog Retekess PR15 AM/FM, ultralight-ultralight radio and am starting to do some AM DX'ing with it.

I am impressed with its overall AM performance given its super tiny size.  It measures 0.67" x 2.12" (17mm x 53mm).

So far last night I counted 33 AM stations on its tiny 1.2" (30mm) radio dial.  I have yet to fully identify these stations, but that many stations on the dial does tell me that the radio has some promise.

So this Ultralight "Quest" is to use this $11 USD, tiny, stripped down, analog AM/FM radio, in a barebones mode, to see what I can DX with it.

Right now my goals are not lofty.  I'm am shooting for 10 US States heard and identified.  Then we can go from there.  :)

I thought that using this little radio would be a fun "side-Quest" to my normal DXing hobby.

It's only $11 on Amazon if anyone wants to join me on my illustrious "Quest"!  ;)  LOL!

Thanks,

Johnny

Max Italy

Hi, i have a few of these small radios, i pick them up when the price is below US$5-6. They use DSP ic and the reception is as good as the size of their ferrite antenna, unless you use some external loop inductively coupled.
The problem with these radios is the mechanical scale short and inaccurate and you never know at what frequency you are at.
It would be better to use some pocket radio with display; the K605 is a good one that i recommend; it's even smaller size and it also has shortwaves.

Anyway your radio has DSP ic AKC6952. You can find the new series of Indin radios, BC-R60 to mention one model, with ic KT0936M (before they used the TA7642 and model BC-R20 is the only one left with this ic afaik).
KT0936M is supposed to be even better as far some groups say but i haven't done any comparative test. The good thing is that they cost very little, below US$5 so you may like to get one of these as well.
Personally i like to play with the TA7642 BC-R20 directly connected to the loop antenna. Being a TRF radio it also allows to receive the NDB band and the LW band.

Paul Blundell

That sounds like an excellent little project.
I did much the same with my TEAC PR130 a year or so ago, this was a bit of fun.

Paul

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 5:40 AM Johnny via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

This looks like fun. I will have to pull out one of my older radios and have a listen around.

Sent: Monday, August 23, 2021 at 8:04 AM
From: "Max Italy" <max2013@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] My Super-Ultralight AM DX'ing Quest

[...]

Peter 1956

The Sony SRF-59 and SRF-39 are the ultra ultralight kings.
Unfortunately I don't have my SRF-59 with me, but here are a couple of examples of it in action.
https://youtu.be/7CqcC2MmK3A
https://youtu.be/A1QiChxgS4s

Peter

Paul Blundell

I have seen and heard about this model, it looks like it works really well.
Are they something you can still purchase new?

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 2:31 PM Peter 1956 <pe1etr@...> wrote:
The Sony SRF-59 and SRF-39 are the ultra ultralight kings.
Unfortunately I don't have my SRF-59 with me, but here are a couple of examples of it in action.
https://youtu.be/7CqcC2MmK3A
https://youtu.be/A1QiChxgS4s

Peter

Peter 1956

Yes

Peter 1956

The prices are ridiculous for a new SRF-59 on ebay etc.

Peter

Carl DeWhitt

That sounds fun to me.I have one of the Sony SRF 59's handy. I may get it out and see what it can do with it.If have 3 Sony SRFs , but only one handy as the other 2 are stored away. 73,Carl DeWhitt,Knoxville,TN

Johnny <jlochey@...>

Hi Max,

Who makes the K605 please?  And the BC-R60?

Those sound interesting!

Johnny

Johnny <jlochey@...>

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments AND your interest on this topic!

Johnny  :)

Peter Jones

The K605s I have seen are branded

Semoic.

Peter Jones

The BC-R60 is branded as Indin

Max Italy

Hi Johnny, the K605 i have is branded KDKA but can have other brand name or no brand at all

The BC-R60 is made from INDIN like Peter said. I mentioned one but there are many models all with the same circuit, like BC-R119, BC-R28, BC-R22, BC-R29; these were purchased recently and all use ic KT0936M.

I don't know the common BC-R21 because the one i have was purchased years ago and use TA7642

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 08:47 PM, Johnny wrote:

Hi Max,

Who makes the K605 please?  And the BC-R60?

Peter 1956

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 11:33 PM, Max Italy wrote:
K605
I hope you took note of the precautions Max? :)

Note:
1)Please avoid high press, strong collision, drop or water.
2)Don't place radio under sunshine, high temperature, high humidity area or store radio at environment of temperature < -5℃ or >50℃.
3)Don't clean case with chemical solvent to avoid damage of radio casing.
4)Don't disassemble the radio or change specification of inner part radio.

I just had a look and agree, who would pay what some sellers are asking?

Sent: Monday, August 23, 2021 at 7:20 PM
From: "Peter 1956" <pe1etr@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io