Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2021 at 7:26 PM
From: "Zacharias Liangas via groups.io" <zliangas@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: [UltralightDX] PL330 battery discharge time
I m repeating my previous question with different wording
Did anyone noticed or measured the discharge time of the PL330 battery?
I alrssal counted mine PL380 at around 30 hours with earphones and audio set to 7

Peter Jones

I too would be interested in the answer to this. The Tecsun 330 uses a Nokia phone battery, rather than the more traditional AA or AAA battery type. Nokia have stopped making this battery, so we are stuck with cheap Chinese versions of unknown quality. When we are allowed to travel around the world again I would far prefer to take something which I know I can purchase batteries from the local grocery store.

I can't imagine these batteries will last long before needing to be charged again, but it will be good to find out.

There is also an issue with taking these sorts of batteries on flights.

Paul Blundell

My V-115 also uses this battery. I am not sure if it will last well long term, for a $30 radio, I will just buy another one.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 1:54 AM Peter Jones <jonesypeter@...> wrote:
I too would be interested in the answer to this. The Tecsun 330 uses a Nokia phone battery, rather than the more traditional AA or AAA battery type. Nokia have stopped making this battery, so we are stuck with cheap Chinese versions of unknown quality. When we are allowed to travel around the world again I would far prefer to take something which I know I can purchase batteries from the local grocery store.

I can't imagine these batteries will last long before needing to be charged again, but it will be good to find out.

There is also an issue with taking these sorts of batteries on flights.

My radios are a mix of
AA = 1
AAA = 3
Internal = 2

I have found that provided I remember to charge them, the two with internal batteries are the less likely to have charge issues. My AR-1733 uses AA and I always keep a spare set but at times these have gone flat before I have used them.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 1:02 PM DXer <hfdxmonitor@...> wrote:
I dislike radios that 'deviate' from the AA battery 'standard', but if your radio has a USB port for charging, I've been using Dollar Store cellphone battery banks. They work a treat and last a long time.

Regards,

Vince
Ottawa, ON

Paul S. in CT

I own a PL-330... expect 30-35 hours. Because the V115 also has a mp3 record/play probably closer to 30 hours.

I would find a reputable on-line seller (usually high # of comments) and look for the original Nokia BL-5c battery. Some will also sell a flat battery charger. I've seen 2 batts + charger go for about US$20, and 1 batt + charger for about US$15. IMHO I would not charge the battery using the radio.

Regards
Paul S. in CT FN31nl

Peter Jones

Not sure if it's a known brand elsewhere, but in the UK a respected battery brand is Duracell. They do a rechargeable compatible which seems to get good reviews.

https://www.partmaster.co.uk/bl-5c-mobile-phone-li-ion-battery/product.pl?pid=4700438

Zacharias Liangas

My parents v115 can operate to around 15 hrs playing mp3 music at 48kbit rate.Just a guess.
 FM reception is quite tricky and requires proper installation of external wire

It seems that none in this last used or owns a pl330 to verify the discharge time

Michael.2E0IHW

D' have a dubious reputation. In my painful experience, more leak than do others with unknown labels.
This may be due to  manufacturing locations and quality control. Best to check *all* batteries
regularly!

Michael UK

On 05/08/2021 07:28, Peter Jones wrote:
Not sure if it's a known brand elsewhere, but in the UK a respected battery brand is Duracell. They do a rechargeable compatible which seems to get good reviews.

https://www.partmaster.co.uk/bl-5c-mobile-phone-li-ion-battery/product.pl?pid=4700438

Peter Jones

Edited

You do need to make sure you are buying originals as there are many copies out there. Also as with all batteries, remove them from the appliance if you are not going to use it for a while.

I've never heard of mobile phone type batteries leaking. Are you talking about traditional types?

I've not had a battery leakage for a long long time with any brand of batteries. The last one was when I stupidly purchased some from a pound store! You have obviously been unlucky.

Paul Blundell

They are one brand I avoid, too many issues in the past.

On Thu, 5 Aug 2021, 17:57 Michael.2E0IHW via groups.io, <blumu=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
D' have a dubious reputation. In my painful experience, more leak than do others with unknown labels.
This may be due to  manufacturing locations and quality control. Best to check *all* batteries
regularly!

Michael UK

On 05/08/2021 07:28, Peter Jones wrote:
Not sure if it's a known brand elsewhere, but in the UK a respected battery brand is Duracell. They do a rechargeable compatible which seems to get good reviews.

https://www.partmaster.co.uk/bl-5c-mobile-phone-li-ion-battery/product.pl?pid=4700438

radiojayallen

My PL-330 generally runs for several days (perhaps 2-3 hours each day) playing at medium volume. I find the BL-5C 3.7 Volt Li-ion batteries have a long life for their size. I have them in several radios and have so far had no problems with them, some of them after several years. I'm still a little leery of all rechargeable batteries of unknown sources but it seems hard to avoid them nowadays.

FWIW

Jay

radiojayallen

Paul,

I have found the Panasonic Eneloops regular capacity, not super capacity AA's are verly lw self-discharge. They hold their charge over over a year if unused.
I just unpacked some after 14 months storage and they still show full charge. I have ben told that the extra capacity ones may not have such low self discharge rates. A friend of mine who uses only rechargeables and has treid everything recommends these strongly...I use them in my ATS-909X2 and they work very well.

Zacharias Liangas

Older times I have bought around 4 batteries of various clone  brands including an 2100 mAh as advertised All worked ok ezcexc that the big amperage one that worked as a typical standard battery with external charger and used in my Nokia mobile
Quite latertwo of them grow n fat due to total.discharge by the time and littered...
This is their death

Zacharias Liangas

Older times I have bought around 4 batteries of various clone  brands including an 2100 mAh as advertised All worked ok ezcexc that the big amperage one that worked as a typical standard battery with external charger and used in my Nokia mobile
Quite latertwo of them grow n fat due to total.discharge by the time and littered...
This is their death

Paul Blundell

Thanks for that. I must look at replacing all my AA and AAA's, and will change them all at the same time to a new brand.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 10:28 PM radiojayallen <radiojayallen@...> wrote:
Paul,

I have found the Panasonic Eneloops regular capacity, not super capacity AA's are verly lw self-discharge. They hold their charge over over a year if unused.
I just unpacked some after 14 months storage and they still show full charge. I have ben told that the extra capacity ones may not have such low self discharge rates. A friend of mine who uses only rechargeables and has treid everything recommends these strongly...I use them in my ATS-909X2 and they work very well.

Add to this cell phones these days are 99% with the battery builtin, you can't even replace them.

Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2021 at 10:12 AM
From: "DXer" <hfdxmonitor@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] PL330 battery discharge time
I dislike radios that 'deviate' from the AA battery 'standard', but if your radio has a USB port for charging, I've been using Dollar Store cellphone battery banks. They work a treat and last a long time.

Regards,

Vince
Ottawa, ON

Mine has STILL been held up :(

Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2021 at 5:16 PM
From: "Zacharias Liangas via groups.io" <zliangas@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
My parents v115 can operate to around 15 hrs playing mp3 music at 48kbit rate.Just a guess.
 FM reception is quite tricky and requires proper installation of external wire

It seems that none in this last used or owns a pl330 to verify the discharge time

Paul Blundell

I know. I am in the process of replacing a heap of mobiles here at work due to the batteries losing charge quickly... It is sad to see how much ewaste we produce these days.

Paul

Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2021 at 10:12 AM
From: "DXer" <hfdxmonitor@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
I dislike radios that 'deviate' from the AA battery 'standard', but if your radio has a USB port for charging, I've been using Dollar Store cellphone battery banks. They work a treat and last a long time.

Regards,

Vince
Ottawa, ON

In your part of the world, how do you deal with it? I guess this could also relate to old and broken radios? Do you have a recycling system for them?