Direct Connection between FSL and PL 360?

Jock Elliott

Jorge,

My high school Spanish is now 60 years behind me, but your test needed no words -- to go from white noise to fully copyable signal by placing the AN-200 next to the radio and adjusting the dial is impressive!

Well done.

mi más sincero agradecimiento  (I hope that translates to: my heartfelt thanks)

Cheers, Jock
PS -- nice countryside!

Jorge Garzón

The TECSUN AN-200 is one of the more effective small loop I've ever seen. Recommended!!

Paul Blundell

LIke this one? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/193620032520?hash=item2d14a73c08:g:Ad0AAOSwLjpfFlu~&frcectupt=true

I have used them in the past, while they helped, they were nowhere near as good as my 3" FSL.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 9:41 AM Frank Standford <dxer2k1@...> wrote:
On eBay I have found some loops, some of them have a connection port of that helps?

On eBay I have found some loops, some of them have a connection port of that helps?

Peter 1956

The main difference is that the PL-368 has a keypad.

I have seen the PL365, what is the difference with the PL368?

Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2021 at 8:00 AM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Direct Connection between FSL and PL 360?
Thanks Richard. I am thinking maybe the PL-368 when I can find one for a decent price.

On Wed, 7 Jul 2021, 22:13 Richard Allen via groups.io, <dx747j=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul:

I’ve used Gary’s 7..5-inch (19-cm) loop sticks with my PL-360 for a number of years and they work as advertised.  I’ve had good success using them, especially the long wave version with which I’ve heard a number of European stations.   The problem is with the  PL-360 itself with tiny controls which are fragile and soon become unworkable.

Goof DX.

Richard Allen,
near Perry OK USA.

On Jul 7, 2021, at 00:13, Gary DeBock via groups.io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:._,_._,_

Paul Blundell

Thanks Richard. I am thinking maybe the PL-368 when I can find one for a decent price.

On Wed, 7 Jul 2021, 22:13 Richard Allen via groups.io, <dx747j=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul:

I’ve used Gary’s 7..5-inch (19-cm) loop sticks with my PL-360 for a number of years and they work as advertised.  I’ve had good success using them, especially the long wave version with which I’ve heard a number of European stations.   The problem is with the  PL-360 itself with tiny controls which are fragile and soon become unworkable.

Goof DX.

Richard Allen,
near Perry OK USA.

On Jul 7, 2021, at 00:13, Gary DeBock via groups.io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:._,_._,_

Richard Allen

Paul:

I’ve used Gary’s 7..5-inch (19-cm) loop sticks with my PL-360 for a number of years and they work as advertised.  I’ve had good success using them, especially the long wave version with which I’ve heard a number of European stations.   The problem is with the  PL-360 itself with tiny controls which are fragile and soon become unworkable.

Goof DX.

Richard Allen,
near Perry OK USA.

On Jul 7, 2021, at 00:13, Gary DeBock via groups.io <D1028Gary@...> wrote:._,_._,_

Peter 1956

Hello Steve,
I didn't think it was 50 ohms, more like 1000 ohms, but I wanted confirmation.
The Tecsun AN200 loop connects directly to the PL-360's aerial socket and works well. The impedance of the AN200 is about 1000 ohms.
A flag has an impedance of 900ohms and needs a balun to bring it down to 50 ohms.

Peter

Paul Blundell

Thanks Gary, sounds like my idea is out of the question.

On Wed, 7 Jul 2021, 15:13 Gary DeBock via groups.io, <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 07:16 PM, Steve Ratzlaff wrote:

Well, I'm afraid without some real unsoldering work which would leave the FSL unusable, your idea won't work. The Pl360/365/SSB etc. all use the SiLabs DSP chip which tunes the antenna inductance (which plugs into the radio in this radio's unique case). The antenna inductance has to be in the correct range to tune the AMBC band. The FSL's tuning cap has to be disconnected.

Plus the Pl360 et al have a small approx. 1" ferrite rod loopstick inside the radio which is always in the circuit and which can interact with the plug in antenna.

Steve

All of Steve's comments on the PL-360 have been experimentally verified. The PL-360 stock loopstick is the deafest antenna in Ultralight history, but it does have one nice redeeming factor-- it is easily unplugged and discarded. But as Steve says, an even worse internal antenna stays in the PL-360 circuit even when you do this.

Back a few years I designed 7.5 inch (19cm) Longwave and Medium Wave plug-in loopsticks for the PL-360, which worked like gangbusters and were ordered by 25 hobbyists. The big advantage of these enhanced loopsticks is that no radio "surgery" on the PL-360 is required. These loopsticks will work equally well with all the new SSB variants of the PL-360, and the related technical article is posted at https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/x6k75b5crnw79yx8gy9hnzlz7ad89lta

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Kenny Murray

has anyone tried simply wrapping the ferrite with 8 turns of wire and then allowing that to be connected to a longer piece of wire.

======================== Kenneth J. Murray VO1KJM EM: murraykj709@... Telephone: 506-962-8401 ======================== Inmarsat: AOR WEST: 011-870-76-4156467 ============================================================================= Confidentiality : This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is adressed and may contain information which is confidential and privileged. Confidentiality and privilege are not lost by this email having been sent to the wrong person. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, please notify us by email and delete this document immediately. Any distribution, reproduction or other of this email by unintended recipient is prohibited.

On Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 02:13:21 a.m. ADT, Gary DeBock via groups.io <d1028gary@...> wrote:

[...]

Gary DeBock

[...]

Steve Ratzlaff

Hi Peter,

The radio uses the SiLabs DSP chip--it requires a specific inductance so the DSP chip will tune. It's not an external antenna input as such, it wants an inductance such as what the stock ferrite loop antenna presents to it. It's not an external antenna input as we think of it like a radio with a 50 ohm standard antenna input.

You could inductively couple the output of your Flag antenna to the stock ferrite loop antenna that plugs into the radio, I suppose, and try that.

73,

Steve

On 7/6/2021 9:40 PM, Peter 1956 wrote:
Hello Steve,
Do you know the impedance of the PL-360 aerial socket?
I'm thinking about connecting a flag antenna.

Peter
Botswana

Peter 1956

Hello Steve,
Do you know the impedance of the PL-360 aerial socket?
I'm thinking about connecting a flag antenna.

Peter
Botswana

Paul Blundell

Thanks Steve, my idea won't work then.

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 12:16 PM Steve Ratzlaff <ratzlaffsteve@...> wrote:

Well, I'm afraid without some real unsoldering work which would leave the FSL unusable, your idea won't work. The Pl360/365/SSB etc. all use the SiLabs DSP chip which tunes the antenna inductance (which plugs into the radio in this radio's unique case). The antenna inductance has to be in the correct range to tune the AMBC band. The FSL's tuning cap has to be disconnected.

Plus the Pl360 et al have a small approx. 1" ferrite rod loopstick inside the radio which is always in the circuit and which can interact with the plug in antenna.

Steve

On 7/6/2021 6:43 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
I was hoping to keep the FSL "as is" and find a way to use it without it having to be physically close to the radio.

Paul

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 11:33 AM Steve Ratzlaff <ratzlaffsteve@...> wrote:

Are you asking if you can mechanically connect a FSL's inductor (removing connections to its variable capacitor first) to a 3.5mm plug to replace the stock ferrite rod antenna?

Steve

On 7/6/2021 6:21 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
Hypothetical:
Can you directly connect a FSL to a radio like a PL360 which has a 3.5mm aerial connector? If so, how would you do it.

Steve Ratzlaff