Eton Elite traveler ULR

Jorge Garzón

Some weeks ago I ordered an Eton Elite Traveler receiver to US Amazon and was dispatched from the UK to Spain. I ordered because of the RDS-PI decoding capability and also for AM DXing purpose, being an ULR size one.

I must say that I was absolutely dissapointed with the unit, even if the size, solid aspect and extremely well designed screen, backlight and access to the menus was more than I had expected.

PI decoding is extremely useful in FM DXing and would show even before than PS info, helping to ID a station. The inconvenience with this little one is that PI decoding is associated to DATA displaying, together with other info. If the station itself has not properly activated the DATA submenu, PI does not show or is barely seen. Traveler radio will decode first PS, then RT and then DATA. PI should be the first subcarrier to be shown on screen independently from other data. Unfortunately just stronger signals open the decoder and NO DATA message is seen often. The short whip does not help at all, and I suppose that the one built in could be replaced by a longer one.

But the total surprise was AM band. That's true that the radio is quite sensitive being eligible to be a decent DX chaser getting distant and weak signals, but it is HORRIBLY affected by inner noise which ruin the whole band. Just when a medium to strong signal is detected the noise drops abruptly and the station can be heard.

I am afraid that these radios are manufactured in China, where quality controls are inexistent or randomly applicable.

It is strange that serious reviews don't point to these details, quite important if not essential for DXing activity. Some of these reviews show the loss of sensitivity on FM perhaps for the existing short whip but not the rest of details written here. Maybe did I get a defective unit?

Last week I packed back the radio to Amazon and a second unit is on the way. We will see...

Paul Blundell

It does sound like it might be faulty.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021, 18:19 Jorge Garzón via groups.io, <iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

DX Pedro

Indeed. It's probably the first such in-depth unfavorable review I've
seen from this device. Sad you had to get a faulty one, Jorge. I'm
told ETON actually listens to consumers and are really approachable.
maybe also write them an email with your feedback might prevent
similar situations?
Regards.

// pedro andrade

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 9:56 AM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

¡Buen DX!

Enviado desde Yahoo Mail con Android

Jorge Garzón

Sure I will do it, but I would like to know whom to write to. I will wait to test the second unit before to send any e-mail.

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX"
(EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409)
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX

En miércoles, 30 de junio de 2021 11:16:16 CEST, DX Pedro <pmm.andrade@gmail.com> escribió:

[...]

 I will keep this in mind when looking for my new radios. How much was it?

Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 6:19 PM
From: "Jorge Garzón via groups.io" <iberiaDX@...>
To: "main@ultralightdx.groups.io" <main@ultralightdx.groups.io>
Subject: [UltralightDX] Eton Elite traveler ULR
[...]

Peter 1956

Hola Jorge,
I did advise you not to buy it.
I said you need a strong signal for it to display a PI code, which as you say defeats the object.
To remove to noise from MW,  DO NOT SELECT THE SIGNAL STRENGTH METER. This generates the hash. Select time or temperature instead.

Peter

Jorge Garzón

I know Peter, but I think you referred just because of the price. i wanted to experience by myself. Fortunately Amazon has an extraordinary post sale customer's service!!

And now I wonder to myself why that hash is being generated just with the signal strength ON? A real mistery!!!!

Thanks Peter!

En viernes, 2 de julio de 2021 16:05:35 CEST, Peter 1956 <pe1etr@live.com> escribió:

Hola Jorge,
I did advise you not to buy it.
I said you need a strong signal for it to display a PI code, which as you say defeats the object.
To remove to noise from MW,  DO NOT SELECT THE SIGNAL STRENGTH METER. This generates the hash. Select time or temperature instead.

Peter

Peter 1956

You're welcome Jorge.
The hash problem on MW also affects other small radios. The previous Elite Traveler  ["Executive"] was even worse.
Probably due to poor shielding.
I got good MW on my Eton Elite Traveler this morning, 1540 Bahamas 12380km
800 Bonaire 10860km
I selected "Time" in the display not "Signal Strength" :)

Peter

Jorge Garzón

Yes Peter, but never as strong as I suffered with this one. BTW, did you try to replace the whip for a longer one or add an external FM socket?

El sáb., jul. 3, 2021 a 6:55, Peter 1956
<pe1etr@...> escribió:
You're welcome Jorge.
The hash problem on MW also affects other small radios. The previous Elite Traveler  ["Executive"] was even worse.
Probably due to poor shielding.
I got good MW on my Eton Elite Traveler this morning, 1540 Bahamas 12380km
800 Bonaire 10860km
I selected "Time" in the display not "Signal Strength" :)

Peter

Peter 1956

Hello Jorge,
No, I've never modified any of my ultralights..

Peter

Sounds like a radio I can cross off my list then.

Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2021 at 11:27 PM
From: "Peter 1956" <pe1etr@...>
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Eton Elite traveler ULR
Hello Jorge,
No, I've never modified any of my ultralights..

Peter

Jorge Garzón

Morning,
I received a second ETON ELITE Traveler unit one week ago and it does seem a different receiver. This still have some birdies on 603, 1485 and just a few more, but not the continous buzzing showed by the first unit.

As Peter said, when the signal level meter is selected, some frequencies show an identifiable jumping noise (weak most of the times) when the digits change rapidly, but fortunately this is not noticeable in every selected frequency and dissapears when any of the other display options is selected. Sound and sensibility are superb.

Regarding the FM band, the PI decoding is almost useless as it is linked to DATA RDS info and not with PS. In case of a station have not implemented correctly the DATA details, the radio shows NO DATA, then PI is not showed even when PS, RT and PTY do. So it is PI decoder able, but not as a DXing tool.

Jay Allen claimed the sensitivity of this model was about 20% less than the Traveler II. I have made a quick test changing the 40cm whip for a longer one (71 cm) and this unburied some stations not audible before, giving a better performance than the XHDATA D-808, which is a well known good FM performer.

These was just some impressions and it would need a closer view and longer tests, but that shows something very sad these days... The Chinese manufacturing lacks any kind of quality control. With this, performance of the receiver ordered is a kind of lotto. It's a pity and I ask myself if maybe somewhere in an unknown ETON factory, would exist a better Traveler III unit with no birdies at all. An unit that probably I won't ever meet!

¡Saludos!

El sáb., jul. 3, 2021 a 15:27, Peter 1956
<pe1etr@...> escribió:
Hello Jorge,
No, I've never modified any of my ultralights..

Peter

Paul Blundell

I am glad your new one is better but it still does not sound that good.

Paul