Belka DX

John

Thank you Dave, most appreciated!

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 8:06 AM Dave613 <david.elden.613@...> wrote:
I made a PDF version of the instruction manual, prints on 3x5 inch paper. It's based on (cut and pasted from) info from the manufacturer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jskjvrgt0amppyl/Belka-DX%20User%20Manual.pdf?dl=0
The UI is really very good IMO given the small number of controls for all the functions.
Dave.

John

Hello Jorge,

I ordered the radio direct from the designer (https://www.belrig.by/).  Alex is very responsive to emails and provides excellent customer service.   Shipment was delayed a short time due to component shortages , but I was kept informed and up to date on the status.  Shipping took only about 10 days , and I know that the US postal "service" was responsible for a part of that.  Ordering direct from Alex saved me a considerable amount of money.

I am still learning the radio, but I'm still very pleased.  Size wise, it's smaller than a deck of cards, but larger than a matchbox.   The screen contains all the information needed, without vacuuming up batteries with a lot of excess bling that is just "eye candy" rather than anything particularly necessary .

Here's a link to a bunch of reviews. If you're looking for an ultra-small radio for all-mode shortwave listening, this is a great choice

John K5MO

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 2:47 AM Jorge Garzón via groups.io <iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Morning,
John, where did you order the radio? I have been informed of some doubtful web sites.
Nigel, any chance to get that Radio User review as a .pdf file?
73

El lun., jun. 28, 2021 a 17:09, nigel head via groups.io
<m0dbo=yahoo.com@groups.io> escribió:
There was a review of this receiver in Radio User magazine last month

Dawn Head

On 28 Jun 2021, at 13:06, Dave613 <david.elden.613@...> wrote:

I made a PDF version of the instruction manual, prints on 3x5 inch paper. It's based on (cut and pasted from) info from the manufacturer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jskjvrgt0amppyl/Belka-DX%20User%20Manual.pdf?dl=0
The UI is really very good IMO given the small number of controls for all the functions.
Dave.

Jorge Garzón

<m0dbo@...> escribió:
There was a review of this receiver in Radio User magazine last month

Dawn Head

On 28 Jun 2021, at 13:06, Dave613 <david.elden.613@...> wrote:

I made a PDF version of the instruction manual, prints on 3x5 inch paper. It's based on (cut and pasted from) info from the manufacturer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jskjvrgt0amppyl/Belka-DX%20User%20Manual.pdf?dl=0
The UI is really very good IMO given the small number of controls for all the functions.
Dave.

nigel head

There was a review of this receiver in Radio User magazine last month

Dawn Head

On 28 Jun 2021, at 13:06, Dave613 <david.elden.613@...> wrote:

I made a PDF version of the instruction manual, prints on 3x5 inch paper. It's based on (cut and pasted from) info from the manufacturer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jskjvrgt0amppyl/Belka-DX%20User%20Manual.pdf?dl=0
The UI is really very good IMO given the small number of controls for all the functions.
Dave.

Dave613

I made a PDF version of the instruction manual, prints on 3x5 inch paper. It's based on (cut and pasted from) info from the manufacturer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jskjvrgt0amppyl/Belka-DX%20User%20Manual.pdf?dl=0
The UI is really very good IMO given the small number of controls for all the functions.
Dave.

Paul Blundell

That sounds like a very interesting radio and I would love to hear more about it and how it works for you.

Paul

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 10:41 PM John <johnk5mo@...> wrote:
Hello all, and hope this message fits the group.  I just received a Belka DX and it certainly meets the requirements of the "ultralight" description. It's the original "black box", four buttons and a single knob!  It's smaller than a deck of cards, smaller than an Altoids box, slightly bigger than a box of matches.

It's an amazingly good radio!

I've had several small portables, Sangean, Sony, Degen, and a lot of shortwave radios over the years, and this little box outperforms any portable I've run across...hands down.

A more fair comparison would be to compare the Belka to a table top shortwave receiver. It's *that* good.

One potential downside for this audience is that there's no AMBCB coverage. The upsides are many. I could have easily used this as a communication receiver for Field Day with nothing more than 16" of whip extended.  Those of us who are hams know that 40M CW during a contest , is a great test of dynamic range handling. The Belka shines here.

Other features:
  • Internal battery and speaker (in the model I ordered)
  • BNC antenna jack
  • 12 hour battery life (rechargeable Lithium pack)
  • simple backlit display
  • Fully adjustable bandwidths per mode
  • Simple menu configuration
  • Multiple memories (Not sure how many...30?)

I'll post more info if there's interest as I'm still learning the features (it ships with no instructions, ala Apple).   The designer Alex provides excellent communications and friendly emails. Shipment from Belarus took about a week..

This is not only the best portable I've ever used, but would rank as a very good tabletop.

I'll be happy to answer any questions as I learn more how to use this most effectively.

John K5MO

Jorge Garzón

Yes, you are right! It is an outstanding receiver.

In my latest chat with Alex, he told me that future plans are producing a different receiver with just AMBCB coverage (probably LW+full MW bands altogether) and not adding these bands to the existing receiver.

Waiting to that glorious day!!

73!

John