CCrane CCSkywave vs CCRadio2E (Warning! Informal Rookie Testing!)

Johnny <jlochey@...>

Hi Jay,

Thanks!  Very helpful!

I had not considered some of what you have written.  I will take these factors into account as much as possible next time I do my testing.  Great points.

Johnny

radiojayallen

I have found that the main reason for different results like this is that local conditions are often the limiting factor in reception and mask the differences in the radios. For example, if the noise floor is too high you can’t hear the difference between a radio with an excellent RF dynamic range and one with a higher noise floor. Also, AM/SW sensitivity is best measured in a low noise environment midday when signals are weakest. At night with many stronger signals, it is much harder to see differences in many radios. It is also good to understand that RFI is not always audible as such…sometimes you may or may not hear outright buzzing or whistling but the radio will be desensitized overall. In my own house some locations are much more revealing of differences in radios…in other parts of the house they all seem about the same…understanding this is key.

In order to more accurately assess how radios compare it is essential to be sure local conditions are not the limiting factor.

Jay

Michael Schuster

Certainly appreciate more controlled methodical testing (e.g. Jay Allen) but I find these these field observations to be very interesting too.

For one, it emphasizes that overall performance differences between some models can be really very small until you dig more deeply.

Second, always the possibilite influence of sample-to-sample variation especially in factory alignment and the impact on receive sensitivity.

Johnny <jlochey@...>

Hi Larry,

I will absolutely let you know, I may get one in the next few weeks.

I will be careful to not "imagine" that it is better than the Skywave, because it costs double!  ;)

Johnny

Paul Blundell

Thanks for posting this Johnny, it is always good to hear how others find various radios and how they perform for them. I use my Digitech AR-1733 daily and find this works well for my needs.

Paul

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 1:00 AM Johnny via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
CCrane CCSkywave vs CCRadio2E

Last light I did a 30 min comparison of these two radios on both AM and FM on decent sized chunks of both bands, and honestly I was impressed with how well the Skywave kept up!  In most cases the Skywave reception was that of the 2E, but just a bit muddier and on some frequencies they were well matched.  Again, just my informal testing.  I always like pitting my radios against each other.

The Skywave is really becoming my favorite radio and although it is edged out on FM by the R-108 (BARELY!), I like the ergonomics of the Skywave better.

Hoping to get the Skywave SSB at some point in the future!

Thanks,

Johnny

Johnny <jlochey@...>