Headphones?

Johnny

Hi all,

What do most people like for headphones?

Ear Buds?

Over the Ear?

Any brands that you like?

I'm trying to decide if I should "bite the bullet" on some good over the ear headphones or not.

Johnny

Paul Blundell

I use ear buds as I often listen while going to sleep, these allow me to not have to take them out before I fall asleep.

On Sun, 9 May 2021, 04:49 Johnny via groups.io, <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

What do most people like for headphones?

Ear Buds?

Over the Ear?

Any brands that you like?

I'm trying to decide if I should "bite the bullet" on some good over the ear headphones or not.

Johnny

Johnny

Hi Paul,

I agree!  They're handy but I just have such a hard time keeping those in my ears!

Johnny

Paul B. Walker, Jr.

I use Sony MDR7506 exclusively while dxIng AM or SW.   Bit of a standard in broadcasting and I had two broadcast engineers who are also audiphiles recommend them as they reproduce the frequencies used in AM and SW DXing quite well and they’re right

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 4:01 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:
I use ear buds as I often listen while going to sleep, these allow me to not have to take them out before I fall asleep.

On Sun, 9 May 2021, 04:49 Johnny via groups.io, <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

What do most people like for headphones?

Ear Buds?

Over the Ear?

Any brands that you like?

I'm trying to decide if I should "bite the bullet" on some good over the ear headphones or not.

Johnny

David Alpert

I, too, use Sony 7506 headphones when DXing ... the same as I used for a good part of my long broadcasting career. . Can't stand anything in my ears, so that rules out ear buds.  Ands I definitely prefer over-the-ear,closed  cans. I neverv left home without ba pair in my equipment bag.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjB76LTzrvwAhVlCecKHYBBCfYYABAEGgJwdg&sig=AOD64_2jpNsEfHIu7J081bu9hWPfAf8fMA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwi0_5nTzrvwAhXK6J4KHQJbBIgQ9aACegQIARBH&adurl =

- DRA
  KB2LUM

At 06:57 PM 5/8/2021, Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:

I use Sony MDR7506 exclusively while dxIng AM or SW.   Bit of a standard in broadcasting and I had two broadcast engineers who are also audiphiles recommend them as they reproduce the frequencies used in AM and SW DXing quite well and they’re rightÂ

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 4:01 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:
I use ear buds as I often listen while going to sleep, these allow me to not have to take them out before I fall asleep.

On Sun, 9 May 2021, 04:49 Johnny via groups.io, <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io > wrote:
Hi all,

What do most people like for headphones?

Ear Buds?

Over the Ear?

Any brands that you like?

I'm trying to decide if I should "bite the bullet" on some good over the ear headphones or not.

Johnny

David R. Alpert
dra@...
Twitter:@DaveAlpert
www.linkedin.com/in/david-alpert-radionews

[...]

Jorge Garzón

Fortunately earphones and earbids have evolved for the better these latest years. Any earbuds with different sizes of silicon caps are giving very good results and some of them give a rich sound with deep bass and crystal trebble frequencies. I found Sony MDR-EX series very good ones and the EX110 a good choice. At a unbeatable price you enjoy the power of FM musical stations and a full balanced sound when listening to AM band.

The Crane earbuds included with CCrane Pocket radio is by far the best of this little pocket radio. Gives a rich sound with different size of silicon caps. They are sold by Crane as a reference apart.

For hardcore DX and weak or noise signals I trust my Beats EP earphones, a real gem that I use to enjoy classical and electronic music or when I am mixing on the local radio. Listening to the music with a pair of these is another level of pleasure.

Some time ago I abandoned the idea to have three/four 'ear-devices' for each listening activity. The simplest (and good quality) the best.

Beats EP:
https://www.beatsbydre.com/es/headphones/beats-ep

Good listening!

Paul Blundell

All very good points.

The best ear phones I have ever used were purchased from Kmart here in 1998? They are still going strong all these years later and now live at work to be used for online web conferencing and the like.

They cost $20 and are about one of the oldest things I purchased for myself when I first started working.

On Sun, 9 May 2021, 14:44 Jorge Garzón via groups.io, <iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Zacharias Liangas

I used for very long away a Sennheiser m@h40 for my old Icom R75 but on my newer PC - SDR i use the HD497 that has a relatively  trebly headphone that suits better to the bassy sounded laptop minimizing irritation
Buying  malahit depends on family's economic conditions

Paul Blundell

Johnny

Great ideas everyone, thx!

Phil Pasteur

Sennheiser has an "equivalent"  to the Sony mentioned above. It is the  HD280  PRO. It is considered a studio monitor sort of headphone like the MDR7506. The sound profile is quite similar so it is a good communications type headphone as well.  It is about  $20 cheaper than the Sony, if that matters. I have had a set for over 10 years using them fairly regularly, and they have held up fine. Like the Sony, they are closed, so when ambient temperatures are high, your ears can get uncomfortably warm over time (an hour or two depending...).
I have lots of headphones   (18 sets, a couple over the $2K mark) and IEMs (In ear Monitors, maybe 30 sets). The best sounding headphones or IEMs for music listening are not the ones I like best for DX or comms listening. I find that headphones with a "forward" midrange and lower treble are the best for speech intelligibility. The over the ear closed types (like the Sony and Senn) are best for digging out those hard to hear station IDs.
This is followed by the in ear type with good fitting tips. In last place are the ear buds. They (as someone mentioned) seem to not want to stay in my ears. Even when they are inserted properly, they do not couple well so you lose that intelligibility that the other two types do well. For portability it is hard to beat a set of IEMs. You don't need or want anything high end with multiple drivers or microphones with buttons to switch calls. Just make sure you get a selection of tips so you can get a comfortable fit that doesn't aggravate your ears over time.
Actually these are pretty darn good and relatively cheap:
https://ccrane.com/cc-buds-pro-in-ear-earbuds-for-talk-radio-audio-books-and-voice-clarity/
I have a couple of sets that I use for DXing while travelling. I like them!

vbifyz

My personal preference for everyday listening is lightweight over the ear type. It is difficult to find good sounding headphones in this category. So far I like Koss Titanium. I had the old ones branded for Radio Shack, Realistic Pro 35, and they were great. In fact, I took out the old elements from the falling apart set and put them in the newer Koss KTXPRO1. These are good, too, but the old elements are a bit better.
I hate the earbuds.
I have Bose QC35 for music, but $270 is an overkill for radio.

73, AF7KR

John Dusek

I have several pairs of a great set of Sony over the ear headphones that are good quality.  Highly recommended, very comfortable to wear and light to travel around with.

They are Sony ZX Series Wired On-Ear Headphones , the plain back ones are only US $10 – model MDR-ZX110.  Can get them on Amazon.

I have one set for my ham radio and 2 other sets for other devices I have.

What do most people like for headphones?

Ear Buds?

Over the Ear?

Any brands that you like?

I'm trying to decide if I should "bite the bullet" on some good over the ear headphones or not.

Johnny

Wolfgang von Poellnitz

Dear John, for ultralight without reading your recommendation this would have been also my choice for a small light weight cheap on-ear headphone, surely I will try one of those for my Tecsuns, Degen, etc. For stereo I have an AKG K182 studio set, but ear pads impossible to find at normal prices. This I might replace with the otherwise highly recommended Sony MDR7506, same price range. The cheap Sony suits surely very well to the idea of ultralight dx.
But another question: has anyone good experience with real ham set headphones as e.g. Kenwood HS-5 or similar? An idea for my larger rigs...

73, Wolfgang
Austria

Neil Griffin

I bought several pairs of those Sony headphones up on sale at Walgreen's or CVS several years ago on a trip. I agree that they sound decent for the price.  They fold up, which is good for traveling with your portable radio.  The kids liked them for tablets, too.

Neil Griffin NØSKG
Spartanburg, SC

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:24 PM John Dusek <johndusek3@...> wrote:

I have several pairs of a great set of Sony over the ear headphones that are good quality.  Highly recommended, very comfortable to wear and light to travel around with.

They are Sony ZX Series Wired On-Ear Headphones , the plain back ones are only US $10 – model MDR-ZX110.  Can get them on Amazon.

I have one set for my ham radio and 2 other sets for other devices I have.

What do most people like for headphones?

Ear Buds?

Over the Ear?

Any brands that you like?

I'm trying to decide if I should "bite the bullet" on some good over the ear headphones or not.

Johnny

Phil Pasteur

For anyone considering the Sony ZX model. I just noticed that Best Buy has them on sale for 50% off. Basically $10.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-zx-series-wired-on-ear-headphones-black/8618232.p?skuId=8618232

Paul S. in CT

Because its AM/SW with limited fidelity I use the $2 Vido eaerbuds from aliexpress. Quite good for the purpose, and not too bad im ny mp3player.

Paul S. in CT FN31nl

William Ode

I use the Sony MDR Wrap Around Yellow Sports Headphone family. Great sound and sensitivity.

Sony MDR-W07 Yellow Sport Headphones

Sony MDR-W14 Yellow Sports Headphones.

Sony MDR-W07 Yellow Sport Headphones

73 de jordan ve7jjd jjdobrikin@...

Sony MDR-W07 Yellow Sport Headphones

 Sony MDR-W10  Yellow Sport Headphones

Sony MDR-W15 Yellow Sports Headphones.

I also used the C.Crane for their "Designed and Built for Voice Clarity" also found it was q pretty good music (Classical/Opera) as well

Johnny

Hi AF7KR (vbifyz) and group,

I just bought the Koss Titanium headphones mentioned and REALLY like them!

Lightweight and good sound with a good price point.

Thanks!

Johnny