Sangean DT-800


Johnny
 

Hi all,

Just received my Sangean DT-800 in the mail and what a gem it is!!!

I find it quite sensitive on AM/FM with a nice set of features that I find very useful.  It even has the ability to turn off "muting".  Nice!  :)

I'm finding it to be the best of my radios in this "handheld form factor" so far, narrowly beating out my CCrane Pocket, that I also love!

Anyone else like this radio?


Johnny


Emily Keene
 

I just ordered the Sangean DT800, and now I am really looking forward to its arrival!

Emily Hastings Keene, New Jersey



Sent from my Virgin Mobile Phone.


Johnny
 

Hi Emily,

I liked it so much a bought two!  <blush!>


Johnny


Paul Blundell
 

Sounds good, how much was it?


On Fri, 7 May 2021, 05:12 Johnny via groups.io, <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

Just received my Sangean DT-800 in the mail and what a gem it is!!!

I find it quite sensitive on AM/FM with a nice set of features that I find very useful.  It even has the ability to turn off "muting".  Nice!  :)

I'm finding it to be the best of my radios in this "handheld form factor" so far, narrowly beating out my CCrane Pocket, that I also love!

Anyone else like this radio?


Johnny


Emily Keene
 

I just paid $60, shipped, for a Sangean DT-800 through Amazon.

Emily Hastings Keene, New Jersey

Sent from my Virgin Mobile Phone.


radiojayallen
 

I agree...the DT-800 is currently my favorite earbud radio (and I have many of them) and I especially like its two FM bandwidths which are a help here where the FM band is extremely crowded. It has great performance overall...I did a compete review of it a year or two ago:

https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-dt-800-am-fm-weather-pocket-radio/

Jay


Jorge Garzón
 

Hi Johny and Emily, 
I am a proud owner of a Sangean DT-800, also of a Sangean DT-250 and an CC Crane Pocket. I bought this latest one because I saw one of the reviews made by the American Youtuber 'Todderbert' and the comments written on his channel board. 

Sangean DT-250. By far the most sensitive ot the three on MW with an useful volume knob and easy to use. Basic function and good audio, very good with earphones. A pity that it does not have a narrow/wide position to get a better selectivity. Good FM sensitivity and tricky selectivity, but able to work decently tropo, more difficult with e-Skip because of the selectivity. No RDS decoding. The best balance price/features, no doubt! 

Sangean DT-800. I do agree with you. (Almost) a real gem. Nice, solid, with rubber sides that avoid slipperies and add security when on hand. Quite good sensitivity (not as good as DT-250 but very close indeed) and a good selectivity (Narrow/wide). Unbeatable audio, deep and rich despite the small speaker. The only MW weakness is the LCD screen induced noise when radio signal is absent. When a signal (even weak one) is present, the LCD noise is almost non audible, but without signal at all, the inner circuit takes the screen radiated noise. It seems the pocket radio lacks an effective internal screening. It is not coming from the backlight, but the LCD itself. On FM is outstanding: able to change steps (100 kHz, 50 kHz), mute squelch on/off, and outstanding stereo audio with earphones. Unfortunately, volume control is 'up and down' buttons which is not as good as a wheel, giving less volume on MW that its little bros DT-250. Have also in mind that the DT-800 includes RDS decoding, which is just perfect for FM DXing. 

CC Crane Pocket. It has some better features (in my opinion) than DT-800. Volume control is the usual wheel, with a slight higher volume; it shows the MW narrow/wide filter (2,5 / 4 kHz) and the LCD screen can be disconnected to avoid induced noise. Unfortunately the different buttons combinations to select filters and other options are tricky and less than intuituve, with no labels on them or aside to remember functions. Slight lesser sensitivity than the DT-800 and almost the same selectivity, but the background noise of the pocket radio on MW is unbelievable high, killing most of the weak signals when DXing TA stations. A real pity and a weakness regarding the other two little Sangeans. Also, the LCD induced noise is noticeable (as in DT-800) even with the screen disconnected. Very good on FM but unfortunately no RDS decoding. 

I am still trying to understand how Todderbert review of the CC Crane Pocket gives it almost the consideration of the 'king of the DXing pocket radios' and his DT-800 review place this one in a lower position in a DXing ranking. Unbelievable!! 

I will publish soon in the IberiaDX blog a comparative "DT-800 Vs CC Crane Pocket" as I have made video recordings with both managing local, weaks and even TA signals. 

I have also seen a video (can't remember where now) with an easy way to screen internally both DT-800 and CC Crane Pocket with self adhesive copper film. The author claimed that after that add-in, the LCD noise almost dissapeared completely! 

¡73 y buen DX!


Jeffrey Benedict <raoul@...>
 

I have had one of the yellow ones for a couple of years and I like it very much.  I mainly use it with earbuds because the speaker is so small but use the speaker with MW.  FM is always with earbuds. You need something in the earphone socket to use FM and a short wire is given with the radio as an FM antenna.  FM Stereo is good, too.


Gary DeBock
 

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 01:40 PM, Jorge Garzón wrote:
I am still trying to understand how Todderbert review of the CC Crane Pocket gives it almost the consideration of the 'king of the DXing pocket radios' and his DT-800 review place this one in a lower position in a DXing ranking. Unbelievable!! 
 
Hello Jorge,

My rather poor impression of the CC Pocket radio agrees with yours-- I did a full review of the model in the 2015 Ultralight Radio Shootout article posted at Gary DeBock’s 2015 Ultralight Radio Shootout Review | The SWLing Post

In general the radio was a poor second to the Sangean DT-400W, which beat it out in most categories.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

 

 


Johnny
 

I have both the black and yellow!

I think the yellow receives better!  ;)

Just kidding!  It's kind of like having a red sports car, it just "seems" faster that a blue or black sports car!!!


Johnny


Johnny
 

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for the great comments on the DT-800 vs DT-250.

I don't know if we can get the DT-250 in the US ???

I like my CCrane Pocket, but honestly I find the dial volume to be the thing that I like the least.  To me sometimes it seems a bit "crackly" when adusted.

Sounds like the DT-250 is a real keeper!  I'll be on the lookout for one to purchase.


Johnny


Mike Sanburn
 

I was just watching part of this video on the Sangean DT 800. 'Looks like a pretty zoot little rig!
Mike Sanburn  Lakewood CA

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.
www.bing.com



From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io> on behalf of Johnny via groups.io <jlochey@...>
Sent: Thursday, May 6, 2021 12:12 PM
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io>
Subject: [UltralightDX] Sangean DT-800
 
Hi all,

Just received my Sangean DT-800 in the mail and what a gem it is!!!

I find it quite sensitive on AM/FM with a nice set of features that I find very useful.  It even has the ability to turn off "muting".  Nice!  :)

I'm finding it to be the best of my radios in this "handheld form factor" so far, narrowly beating out my CCrane Pocket, that I also love!

Anyone else like this radio?


Johnny


Jorge Garzón
 

Hi:
What does it mean the word 'zoot' in the sentence 'Looks like a pretty zoot little rig'?
Gracias
J


Gord Seifert
 

  I should probably leave it to the poster who used the word to explain, but I found it interesting and did some digging. Zoot originally described a suit worn mainly by blacks and latin Americans back in the early 1940s (when I was born). Very long jackets and wide legged pants with tight cuffs. But it now seems to be used as a description of a hot and sexy female. So I take it that it means a pretty good, and attractive, radio in this case.

   Feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

  Regards,
  Gord


Phil Pasteur
 

I have been known to use the term, but combined with high, as in "High Zoot". I used it to mean advanced/good. or the like.
from word reference forums
high-zoot = approximately "really cool" From "zooty" - sharp, fashionable, showy


Johnny
 

Love it!  Zoot!

I'll be using soon!

To me it sounds like it could be used instead of "sweet" or "awesome"?


Also, I have performed some VERY informal tests pitting my DT-800 against my CCrane Skywave, Sihuadon R-108 and Tecsun PL-310ET, and found the DT-800 to be able to really "hold it's own" against these other radios and the DT-800 was able to "hear" most of the same things (95%?) on AM that these other radios could, surprisingly.  FM was almost as good, but the R-108 is pretty hard to beat on FM.

PL-310ET had to go back to the shop and will be replaced by a PL-330 (in transit).


Thanks all!


Johnny


Paul Blundell
 

Those are some interesting results, what was wrong with the 310ET?


On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 5:46 AM Johnny via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Love it!  Zoot!

I'll be using soon!

To me it sounds like it could be used instead of "sweet" or "awesome"?


Also, I have performed some VERY informal tests pitting my DT-800 against my CCrane Skywave, Sihuadon R-108 and Tecsun PL-310ET, and found the DT-800 to be able to really "hold it's own" against these other radios and the DT-800 was able to "hear" most of the same things (95%?) on AM that these other radios could, surprisingly.  FM was almost as good, but the R-108 is pretty hard to beat on FM.

PL-310ET had to go back to the shop and will be replaced by a PL-330 (in transit).


Thanks all!


Johnny



--
Paul


Mark Roberts
 

The DT-250 is not available in the United States (I've looked - I like the silver color - I'm shallow) Probably the closest equivalents are the DT-400W or the DT-200VX.

Re: the CC Pocket. Note that there are two versions. The first version had poor AGC on AM (mediumwave). The second version was much improved. You can distinguish the two versions this way: version 2 has numbers molded into the five front-panel buttons. Also note that the functions of the front-panel buttons are listed in a label that's on the other side of the battery-compartment door.

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 6:05 AM Johnny via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Jorge,

Thanks for the great comments on the DT-800 vs DT-250.

I don't know if we can get the DT-250 in the US ???

I like my CCrane Pocket, but honestly I find the dial volume to be the thing that I like the least.  To me sometimes it seems a bit "crackly" when adusted.

Sounds like the DT-250 is a real keeper!  I'll be on the lookout for one to purchase.


Johnny


Mark Roberts
 

It's a good radio: my quibble with it is that the threshold for FM stereo reception is set rather high. For example, you might get stereo reception on a Tecsun model (or some other model) but the Sangean will stay in mono, even though signal strength and sensitivity are comparable. This seems to be the case with all the Sangean DSP-based models. For example, the DT-160 is the same way.


On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 9:08 PM Mike Sanburn <mikesanburn@...> wrote:
I was just watching part of this video on the Sangean DT 800. 'Looks like a pretty zoot little rig!
Mike Sanburn  Lakewood CA

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.



From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io> on behalf of Johnny via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, May 6, 2021 12:12 PM
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io>
Subject: [UltralightDX] Sangean DT-800
 
Hi all,

Just received my Sangean DT-800 in the mail and what a gem it is!!!

I find it quite sensitive on AM/FM with a nice set of features that I find very useful.  It even has the ability to turn off "muting".  Nice!  :)

I'm finding it to be the best of my radios in this "handheld form factor" so far, narrowly beating out my CCrane Pocket, that I also love!

Anyone else like this radio?


Johnny