Tecsun PL-380 - S-meter over-reading

Wolfgang von Poellnitz

My PL-380 is tending to overread signals by at least 10 dBµ on SW and also a bit on MW/AM. I am just listing Furosato no kaze on 5845 (until 1830 UT) with a PL-380 and PL-880 both with bare telescopic antenna and a DRAKE R8B with active loop, Drake and PL-880 perfectly matching although antennas not fully comparable, but there is a huge gap on 380 vs. 880. Anybody who could confirm this as well in typical listening situations with other references side by side?

73 Wolfgang
Austria

Wolfgang von Poellnitz

Short notice to add on this, just listening on 12050 kHz R. Ndarason Int. to Chad / Nigeria side by side PL-380 / 880 with super clear signal ex Woofferton/UK. Here now both signals on more or less (fading) same level in the range of 40 to 55 dBµ on both sets. So is this a calibration or sensitivity issue or individual set alignment and performance issue? Are there any typical production deviations in this range measured before?

73 Wolfgang
Austria

Paul B. Walker, Jr.

I get an even stronger from Ndarason on 12050 via Wooferton at 0600 .. and I’m in Alaska using an 880 and a loop antenna

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 12:56 PM Wolfgang von Poellnitz <wolfgang.vonpoellnitz@...> wrote:
Short notice to add on this, just listening on 12050 kHz R. Ndarason Int. to Chad / Nigeria side by side PL-380 / 880 with super clear signal ex Woofferton/UK. Here now both signals on more or less (fading) same level in the range of 40 to 55 dBµ on both sets. So is this a calibration or sensitivity issue or individual set alignment and performance issue? Are there any typical production deviations in this range measured before?

73 Wolfgang
Austria

Zacharias Liangas

To anyone using pl38
My item was in the first produced series
After turning to a strong station and changing frequency the signal readout remained hogh even in frequencies without signal.This is possibly an AGC problem
Does it happen to anyone's other here?
Thanks

radiojayallen

I don't have a PL-380 but in general I find these signal level readouts to be interesting and useful but not very accurately calibrated. I have seen various models with such readouts vary by several db on a given signal. Hey, even my vintage Satellit 800 and E1 don't agree.

Paul Blundell

I have not owned a PL-380 for a few years but remember it being like this, jumping all over the place.