Your current "personal" radio DX challenge?

Johnny

Hi all,

I'm back to DX'ing after years away and kind of doing a "restart" of the hobby so to speak, now that the kids are older and I have a *tiny* bit more time...  :)

Question:  What is your current "personal" radio DX challenge/goal?  Maybe none?  Maybe one?

I set the bar low for myself, with 10 US states heard (AM).  That's my summer goal.  Might be hard, might be easy.  But an easy "win" won't make me sad either!  LOL!

I'm in Michigan (USA), so I can knock out Ohio, Indiana and Illinois in about 5 mins!  ;)

What're you "challenging" yourself with right now?  Anything?  Antennas?  Other?

Have a GREAT weekend everyone!

We're pumped here in Michigan because we might actually get sun AND warmth at THE SAME TIME here in Southern Michigan this weekend!

Hard to imagine!  ;)

Johnny

Peter Laws

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 12:34 PM John Lochey via groups.io
<jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I set the bar low for myself, with 10 US states heard (AM). That's my summer goal. Might be hard, might be easy. But an easy "win" won't make me sad either! LOL!

I'm in Michigan (USA), so I can knock out Ohio, Indiana and Illinois in about 5 mins! ;)

Your goals are your goals. :-)

You can go to the link below, enter your ZIP or your city name, hit
"search", and Michi will output a list you can use for AM DXing -
note the separate day and night listings for AM. FM and TV are there,
too. Very handy. Shows bearing and distance as well.

https://fccdata.org

73,
Peter Laws
N5UWY
DXCC / VUCC / WAS / WAC
SCARS Exam Team Leader - https://w5nor.org/
Editor, DX Downstairs, LWCA's The LOWDOWN
CIDX / IRCA / TAPR / OKDXA
Net Manager, ARRL Oklahoma Section

Johnny

Hi Peter,

Wow, that is super helpful!

Thanks!

Johnny

Peter Laws

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 2:03 PM Johnny via groups.io
<jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Peter,

Wow, that is super helpful!
You're welcome - all credit to the site developer.

I like that one because the AM lists are what you "should" hear based
on distance and signal strength. You probably won't hear everything
on the list and you will probably hear some that aren't listed, but
it's a good starting point. When I was still commuting by car (I go
to work by fiber now) I printed it out the AM part and used it as a
checklist. :-)

For the past year I have been running a long term DX project, that is done now so about to start planning my next one, once we finish moving house next week.

On Sat, 1 May 2021, 03:34 John Lochey via groups.io, <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm back to DX'ing after years away and kind of doing a "restart" of the hobby so to speak, now that the kids are older and I have a *tiny* bit more time...  :)

Question:  What is your current "personal" radio DX challenge/goal?  Maybe none?  Maybe one?

I set the bar low for myself, with 10 US states heard (AM).  That's my summer goal.  Might be hard, might be easy.  But an easy "win" won't make me sad either!  LOL!

I'm in Michigan (USA), so I can knock out Ohio, Indiana and Illinois in about 5 mins!  ;)

What're you "challenging" yourself with right now?  Anything?  Antennas?  Other?

Have a GREAT weekend everyone!

We're pumped here in Michigan because we might actually get sun AND warmth at THE SAME TIME here in Southern Michigan this weekend!

Hard to imagine!  ;)

Johnny

Paul Blundell

My latest challenge is to pick a part of the band (last night was 1503kHz to 1602kHz) and see what stations I can log. I will be working my way down the band in 100kHz segments.

Paul

Johnny

Hi Paul,

That is a really neat idea!

I think that's cool!

I'll try that myself...

Johnny

Paul Blundell

I would love to see how it works for you, I have done another chunk last night and will be posting those results soon.

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 5:48 AM Johnny via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Paul,

That is a really neat idea!

I think that's cool!