Moving Home and Loggings

Paul Blundell

We are in the process of looking at moving house, about 2.5KM as the crow flies from our current house. Would you "reset" your logs and start again or continue and make a note of what was logged where?
From a mediumwave point of view, this location is further from my local pest station and we will have a large hill between us, I hope this will help with some of the overload I get on the frequencies either side of it.

Paul
https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/

Peter Laws

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 6:59 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@gmail.com> wrote:

We are in the process of looking at moving house, about 2.5KM as the crow flies from our current house. Would you "reset" your logs and start again or continue and make a note of what was logged where?
From a mediumwave point of view, this location is further from my local pest station and we will have a large hill between us, I hope this will help with some of the overload I get on the frequencies either side of it.

I would because I'm just "that way". My amateur logging software (the
DXLab Suite by AA6YQ) allows multiple "myQTHID" settings so I've done
that. Now, granted, there are usually several hundred km between my
own locations, and, in fact the last move was ~1300 km, but even if we
moved to a new place in town, I'd update my location just the same.

Makes NO difference to anything except possibly some of the amateur
radio awards (you moved to a new Maidenhead grid or new DXCC entity
2.5 km away, for example).

I have a different "workspace" within that software just for LW/MW/SWL
stuff and I use the same location settings for both logs. We hope to
get to Quebec later this year, virus willing, and any logs I make (SWL
or amateur) will have the correct location.

But the important thing is ... it's your log, do what makes sense to you! :-D

Thanks for the response and ideas, I will keep all of this in mind.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 10:27 AM Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 6:59 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

> We are in the process of looking at moving house, about 2.5KM as the crow flies from our current house. Would you "reset" your logs and start again or continue and make a note of what was logged where?
> From a mediumwave point of view, this location is further from my local pest station and we will have a large hill between us, I hope this will help with some of the overload I get on the frequencies either side of it.

I would because I'm just "that way".  My amateur logging software (the
DXLab Suite by AA6YQ) allows multiple "myQTHID" settings so I've done
that.  Now, granted, there are usually several hundred km between my
own locations, and, in fact the last move was ~1300 km, but even if we
moved to a new place in town, I'd update my location just the same.

Makes NO difference to anything except possibly some of the amateur
radio awards (you moved to a new Maidenhead grid or new DXCC entity
2.5 km away, for example).

I have a different "workspace" within that software just for LW/MW/SWL
stuff and I use the same location settings for both logs.  We hope to
get to Quebec later this year, virus willing, and any logs I make (SWL
or amateur) will have the correct location.

But the important thing is ... it's your log, do what makes sense to you!  :-D

Jorge Garzón

I think Peter is right! I use my Grid locator to keep my ham activity 'under the rules'. My SWL time is something more relaxed. On LW/MW/SW I am still using my QTH Grid Loc but when I am listening away (but close in the valley or in the surroundings) I will associate my records to this QTH. Most of the times the only changing condition is local QRM and perhaps some local orography details affecting to local transmitters.

This is different on VHF/FM Band II/DAB Band III as records just 1 km away (with a different horizon, altitude or landscape), can be dramatically differents. I have, as you show us sometimes, fixed listening spots to make comparisons, take beamings and so on...

But actually, it depends on your interests and goals. Keeping the ULR side of the hobby is the way. 😉

Good luck and stay safe!

Paul Blundell

Thanks. I will see how the FM band goes.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021, 17:54 Jorge Garzón via groups.io, <iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I think Peter is right! I use my Grid locator to keep my ham activity 'under the rules'. My SWL time is something more relaxed. On LW/MW/SW I am still using my QTH Grid Loc but when I am listening away (but close in the valley or in the surroundings) I will associate my records to this QTH. Most of the times the only changing condition is local QRM and perhaps some local orography details affecting to local transmitters.

This is different on VHF/FM Band II/DAB Band III as records just 1 km away (with a different horizon, altitude or landscape), can be dramatically differents. I have, as you show us sometimes, fixed listening spots to make comparisons, take beamings and so on...

But actually, it depends on your interests and goals. Keeping the ULR side of the hobby is the way. 😉

Good luck and stay safe!

Paul Blundell

Last night I focused on the FM band, so far the results are not much different to my old location except the three low power FM translators don't come in very well. This I will be spending some more time focusing on.

Paul