Which Ultralight?

SWL I2-5759

Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me in the Group. I am an absolute neophyte in the ultralight field so I would humbly ask you which of my laptops list can be considered ultralight and which are not.

tecsun pl 880
tecsun pl 606
tecsun pl 385
degen 1103
xhdata d-808
malahite sdr
belka dsp
tti tsc-3000r
trevi mb-729
other small radios am / fm

thanks and sorry for the question that might seem obvious
73 de
-
SWL I2-5759 op. Ivan

Paul Blundell

The general rule is less than $100 and less than 20 cubic inches in size.

Paul

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021, 20:43 SWL I2-5759, <guerini.ivan@...> wrote:
Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me in the Group. I am an absolute neophyte in the ultralight field so I would humbly ask you which of my laptops list can be considered ultralight and which are not.

tecsun pl 880
tecsun pl 606
tecsun pl 385
degen 1103
xhdata d-808
malahite sdr
belka dsp
tti tsc-3000r
trevi mb-729
other small radios am / fm

thanks and sorry for the question that might seem obvious
73 de
-
SWL I2-5759 op. Ivan

Gary DeBock

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 03:43 AM, SWL I2-5759 wrote:
Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me in the Group. I am an absolute neophyte in the ultralight field so I would humbly ask you which of my laptops list can be considered ultralight and which are not.

tecsun pl 880
tecsun pl 606
tecsun pl 385
degen 1103
xhdata d-808
malahite sdr
belka dsp
tti tsc-3000r
trevi mb-729
other small radios am / fm

thanks and sorry for the question that might seem obvious
73 de
-
SWL I2-5759 op. Ivan
Hello Ivan,

Out of your list of receivers, only the Tecsun PL-606 is an officially recognized Ultralight. The guidelines that Paul mentioned are still used for Ultralight radio classification.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

DX Pedro

Well you have the 606 like you've mentioned, but also you should include the 310ET and the 330. There's also the Radiwow/Shihuadon R-108. these are the best (and IMHO) ULDX radios.
73s

Paul Blundell

I am a big fan of my Digitech AR-1733 which is from JayCar.

Wolfgang von Poellnitz

Hi Gary, I just joined the group, also curious what is in and what not, if I calculate dims correctly Tecsun PL-380 would be in but Degen DE1103 already too large, yes? The PL-380 so far my smallest one in the line.

73, Wolfgang, Austria

Gary DeBock

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 01:16 PM, Wolfgang von Poellnitz wrote:
Hi Gary, I just joined the group, also curious what is in and what not, if I calculate dims correctly Tecsun PL-380 would be in but Degen DE1103 already too large, yes? The PL-380 so far my smallest one in the line.
Hello Wolfgang, and welcome to our group!

Yes, the Tecsun PL-380 is an "official" Ultralight radio within the 20 cubic inch size limit, while the Degen DE1103 is not. But of course, you are free to chase DX with whatever compact portable you prefer, and report your results here.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
Ultralight Group Co-Founder

Paul Blundell

Welcome to the group, it is great to see you on here.

I personally use a few different ultralight radios but find my Digitech AR1733 gets the most use.

Paul

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 6:17 AM Wolfgang von Poellnitz <wolfgang.vonpoellnitz@...> wrote:
Hi Gary, I just joined the group, also curious what is in and what not, if I calculate dims correctly Tecsun PL-380 would be in but Degen DE1103 already too large, yes? The PL-380 so far my smallest one in the line.

73, Wolfgang, Austria

Jorge Garzón <iberiaDX@...>

Hi Wolfgang,
This is Jorge from Spain. Welcome to this DX corner!

The DEGEN DE1103 is one of the best small portable (less than 500 cm3 / 30 inc3) and barefoot listening is a joy (supposing is the non-DSP version). The results of my 'DX Ross Challenge' made with this little gem can be checked here:

In the blog, following the 'Ultralight DX' section, you will find a table with pocket and portable radios and measures in metric/imperial units showing the most popular models.

In case you are a twitter user, we use  both #ultralightDX and #dxdebolsillo tags in English and Spanish to get the info easier.

¡73 y buen DX!

DX Pedro

It was one of my first choices for a small multi-band receiver. it is a dream of a receiver. unfortunately, it seems the PLL (older version) as opposed to de DSP version like Jorge mentioned, is not available anymore.
Again I can't really praise more the pl-310et for its portability and performance. mind you that if you want to make LW/MW DX this receiver should not be your first pick.

have a great week, everyone and GDX