ParkRXing Program

Paul Blundell

*** A few years ago I tried to get this program off the ground, now that COVID-19 is becoming less of an issue (in this part of the world), does much interest exist in getting this happening again? ***

ParkRXing is an awards program for anybody interested in the radio hobby, which encourages portable operation in parks and similar areas.

ParkRXing has been designed to make participation possible for anybody interested in the radio hobby. The rules are very simple and the awards have been designed to be achievable. The purpose is to encourage portable operation in parks and other similar locations, making the radio hobby more public and allow radio hobbyists to enjoy the great outdoors.

How do I start?

Get out in a local park with your radios and log what you hear, it really is that simple. A log file is available for download on this site.

Rules:

These rules are simple and have been designed to enhance the enjoyment of this awards program and ensure fairness.

1) All ParkRXing activity must take part in a public park, lookout, beach, mountain top or other such public location. All equipment must be portable and carried by the participant to their operating location.

2) No ParkRXing activity is permitted on private property for award purposes.

3) 5/10/15 rule:

- You must walk a minimum of 5 metres from any motorised mode of transport for a valid ParkRXing activity.

- You must log a minimum of 10 frequencies for a valid ParkRXing activity.

- You must remain in your location for a minimum of 15 minutes for a valid ParkRXing activity.

4) All frequencies must carry voice traffic. Data / paging frequencies are not permitted for award purposes.

5) All HF/VHF/UHF frequency bands are all permitted for award purposes.

6) Each location may only be counted once in a 48 hour period for award purposes.

7) Each frequency may only be counted once per location per ParkRXing activity.

8) All decisions of the ParkRXing administrator are final

Scoring:

Each frequency logged counts for 1 point, bonus points are awarded for the first ParkRXing activity at each location (to encourage ParkRXing activity from different locations.) This adds 25 points to your tally.

Logging Process:

Below is an example of a valid log.

Awards:

Certificates will be emailed to all participants on the receipt of a valid log for the achievement levels below:

15 Activities

30 Activities

50 Activities

100 Activities

vk2gel

An interesting idea Paul.

Please consider including people with disabilities at:

"3) 5/10/15 rule:

- You must walk a minimum of 5 metres from any motorised mode..."

They may not be able to walk. They may only be able to use a motorised wheel chair.

Did you mean to include the AM BCB and LW which are technically below HF?

Looking forward to seeing the award certificate designs.

Grant.

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I will update this to be included.

Yes, any and all bands that carry voice traffic will be covered / included.

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 7:13 AM vk2gel <b748@...> wrote:
An interesting idea Paul.

Please consider including people with disabilities at:

"3) 5/10/15 rule:

- You must walk a minimum of 5 metres from any motorised mode..."

They may not be able to walk. They may only be able to use a motorised wheel chair.

Did you mean to include the AM BCB and LW which are technically below HF?

Looking forward to seeing the award certificate designs.

Grant.

vk2gel

150421 1445L Cook and Philip park, Sydney city.

549 2CR

576 2RN Sydney

603 2RN Nowra

630 2PB

702 2BL

801 2GO

873 2GB

954 2UE

1017 2KY

1035 2EA.

vk2gel

Edited

Paul, please add morse code reception so that those of us that brave cold parks pre dawn to avoid QRM can also have our efforts rewarded.

Thanks, Grant.

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the feedback. My plan is to run this via a separate group, I will be creating this in the next few days.

[Edited Message Follows]