The curiosity bug has bitten me . . .

Jock Elliott

For the past several hours, I have been chasing down a DuckDuckGo search on "ultralight DXing."

It yielded a lot of interesting stuff, and early this AM, an article on "A new approach to FSL antenna construction" popped up. You can find it here: https://mydxer.blogspot.com/2017/01/a-new-approach-to-fsl-antenna.html

These FSL antennas fascinate me; they are so unusual looking.

So a question popped to mind: has anyone tried hooking an FSL antenna up to a communications receiver like a Drake R8 or an R75? (Call  it ultra-heavy DXing). And if so, how did it work?

daiche

I have worked with Guy on that design and on some of the tests to use an SDR or communications receiver with an FSL. Also, I had Andy of Wellbrook make me and Guy a special 72:1 winding FLG100LN antenna module  with 23db gain to see if we could get enough signal and a broadband enough response to be usable. While all those experiments worked to some degree, none were satisfactory to use as an end product. So, at this point an FSL antenna is still a proximity device. Some have used a turn or two around the coil of an existing FSL connected to a receiver, but that didn't work as well as the 72:1 module with the 23db gain amplifier in it. At this point, further progress seems to be at a stalemate and most who use an FSL do so with portable radios because of it's compact, go anywhere size and versatility.

73,

Dave Aichelman     N7NZH     Grants Pass, Oregon

Paul Blundell

FSL's (I have one) use induction to connect to the internal bar aerial in radios, as these radios don't have an internal bar aerial, I am not sure how it would be best to connect them?

Paul

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 9:36 PM Jock Elliott <jock.elliott@...> wrote:

For the past several hours, I have been chasing down a DuckDuckGo search on "ultralight DXing."

It yielded a lot of interesting stuff, and early this AM, an article on "A new approach to FSL antenna construction" popped up. You can find it here: https://mydxer.blogspot.com/2017/01/a-new-approach-to-fsl-antenna.html

These FSL antennas fascinate me; they are so unusual looking.

So a question popped to mind: has anyone tried hooking an FSL antenna up to a communications receiver like a Drake R8 or an R75? (Call  it ultra-heavy DXing). And if so, how did it work?

Michael.2E0IHW

Let us not give up. Should roving subs cut oceanbed fibre cables,
we would still be receiving...

Radios with a sub-pathetic internal AM ferrite antenna
could be modified so as to connect an externl FSL or other aerial.

Michael UK

On 24/03/2021 22:32, Paul Blundell wrote:
FSL's (I have one) use induction to connect to the internal bar aerial in radios, as these radios
don't have an internal bar aerial, I am not sure how it would be best to connect them?

kevin asato

Wind a few turns over the FSL, then connect directly into the antenna terminals - most likely the spring terminals on the R8. The FSL is still free to rotate to aid in receiving the best signal.
73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 3:32 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:
FSL's (I have one) use induction to connect to the internal bar aerial in radios, as these radios don't have an internal bar aerial, I am not sure how it would be best to connect them?

Paul

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 9:36 PM Jock Elliott <jock.elliott@...> wrote:

For the past several hours, I have been chasing down a DuckDuckGo search on "ultralight DXing."

It yielded a lot of interesting stuff, and early this AM, an article on "A new approach to FSL antenna construction" popped up. You can find it here: https://mydxer.blogspot.com/2017/01/a-new-approach-to-fsl-antenna.html

These FSL antennas fascinate me; they are so unusual looking.

So a question popped to mind: has anyone tried hooking an FSL antenna up to a communications receiver like a Drake R8 or an R75? (Call  it ultra-heavy DXing). And if so, how did it work?

radiojayallen

Many tuned passive air core loops have direct connection jack which are attached to smaller sensing loops within the area of the main windings and these are designed for direct connection to radios with antenna input jacks. However, I have never found these to put out a very strong signal. For experimentation, if you have a radio with both a ferrite rod and an antenna input jack and compare the two modes you will usually get much more gain using induction than via the direct connection. The only time I have had good results with the direct connection is when the loop has an amp...I have a PK loop configured this way and it works well. In addition to the fact that the sensing loop is not as effective as a ferrite rod at receiving an induced signal, the radio often has less gain on AM at the antenna jack to prevent AM overload - some radios have attenuation at the jack or they have an extra gain stage for the ferrite rod which is not applied to the antenna jack.

So it seems there is still the possibility to use some sort of amplifier arrangement with the FSL's but since FSL's are so different than air core loops this is totally new territory and maybe experimentation will tell us more. I applaud those who a willing to put in time and effort for this.

Jay

radiojayallen

Maybe a ferrite sensor onstead of a wire sensing loop?

daiche

I have a couple of ferrite probes that CCrane sells and that they also include with their standalone Twin Coil loop. That probe works pretty good as a pickup for my FSL's. It still needs an additional amp to match the proximity output of an FSL/radio though.....

Dave Aichelman     N7NZH     Grants Pass, Oregon