1413 MDA Vesti FM with ID barefoot PL-360 received in Botswana

Peter 1956

8052km. Very clear reception.
https://youtu.be/UpNRvzHJKC4

Peter Wilson

Gary DeBock

Awesome catch, Peter!

1413-Vesti FM in Russian was also a thrilling catch for me at sunrise during a trip to Hong Kong (in April 2019), received on a 7.5 inch loopstick CC Skywave stuck out of a 12th story apartment window  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/38vm67oda2jysgwlbyn03ra0etnrakv9

This was at 7,858km, or just 194 km short of the distance to Botswana :-)

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Peter 1956

Thanks Gary,
Yes, i've read your HK report, I noticed you got Vesti FM. Your mystery 648 might be Botswana but not enough to go on.
The PL-360 loopstick is a tad smaller than 7.5'' :)
My reception was in a ground floor room.

Regards

Peter

Michael.2E0IHW

... and nice socks :-)

Michael UK

On 23/03/2021 06:26, Gary DeBock via groups.io wrote:
Awesome catch, Peter!

1413-Vesti FM in Russian was also a thrilling catch for me at sunrise during a trip to Hong Kong (in April 2019), received on a 7.5 inch loopstick CC Skywave stuck out of a 12th story apartment window  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/38vm67oda2jysgwlbyn03ra0etnrakv9

This was at 7,858km, or just 194 km short of the distance to Botswana :-)

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Paul Blundell

Well done Peter.

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 11:46 PM, Peter 1956 wrote:
Thanks Gary,
Yes, i've read your HK report, I noticed you got Vesti FM. Your mystery 648 might be Botswana but not enough to go on.
The PL-360 loopstick is a tad smaller than 7.5'' :)
My reception was in a ground floor room.

Regards

Peter
Thanks Peter,

In Hong Kong i was actually looking for 648-Nepal, although I would have taken 648-Botswana in a heartbeat :-)

The problem with DXing in Hong Kong is that you have a zillion China stations blocking almost all frequencies, including some obnoxious Jammers directed at Taiwan. I even had a challenge tracking down a single Japanese station (729-JOCK)!

73, Gary

Peter 1956

Thanks Paul

Peter 1956

Hello Gary,
When I was in Hong Kong I didn't really try MW due to the noise and strong signals.
I just did FM scans.

Peter

Gary DeBock

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 08:45 PM, Peter 1956 wrote:

Hello Gary,
When I was in Hong Kong I didn't really try MW due to the noise and strong signals.
I just did FM scans.

Peter
Thanks Peter,

Hong Kong is indeed one of the toughest places in the world to chase MW-DX. Fortunately I had my wife's relatives there, who gave me a guided tour of some plunging ocean side cliffs.

It would be nice to go back, but the Beijing regime might arrest me for criticizing Chinese copying of foreign radio technology :-)

Gary

Peter 1956

Hello Gary,
I stayed in high rise buildings in Kowloon and QRM was terrible.
I don't think Hong Kong is next to the ocean ;)

Peter

Paul Blundell

"It would be nice to go back, but the Beijing regime might arrest me for criticizing Chinese copying of foreign radio technology :-)"

It would be sad to lose you from the radio hobby... I do wonder at times how much what we do here and online might affect us in the future.

Paul

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 7:19 PM Gary DeBock via groups.io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 08:45 PM, Peter 1956 wrote:

Hello Gary,
When I was in Hong Kong I didn't really try MW due to the noise and strong signals.
I just did FM scans.

Peter
Thanks Peter,

Hong Kong is indeed one of the toughest places in the world to chase MW-DX. Fortunately I had my wife's relatives there, who gave me a guided tour of some plunging ocean side cliffs.

It would be nice to go back, but the Beijing regime might arrest me for criticizing Chinese copying of foreign radio technology :-)

Gary

Michael.2E0IHW

Maybe all such technology mimicry  should be deemed
maximaficacious  for  international bondification...

Now where is my dusty copy of that little red book?

And: somewhere in the loft I have a few OC71s
awaiting rejunification. With a few ferrites,
who knows our limits...

Anony

On 24/03/2021 22:28, Pwrote:
"It would be nice to go back, but . . .

Peter 1956

This time it's the turn of the barefoot Etón Elite Traveler. (31st March 2021)
https://youtu.be/Ne4S9KkSlK0

Peter