531 kHz Australians' S9+ Shootout at 11,700 km

Gary DeBock

How wild is ocean cliff DXing? Well, here is a minor sample. At 1415 UTC on March 3rd a 6 inch (15cm) FSL antenna set up on the Rockwork 2 plunging cliff near Manzanita, Oregon (USA) tracked down 531-4KZ (with an oldies format) and 531-2PM (with a "talker" format) in an S9+ snarl at 11,700 km across the Pacific Ocean (7,250 miles). This was on a 7.5 inch loopstick XHDATA D-808, set up on the ocean cliff as shown in the attached photo taken during the same sunrise session. Wacky!  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/mw5rw63b1ypraa4y0p9k457tfcmzq99e

Gary DeBock (DXing at the Rockwork 2 Ocean Cliff near Manzanita, OR, USA)

K7DWI Art

Dang it. Missed opportunity, but got the first Covid Vaccine instead.
I also need to get up earlier in the morning. Gloom and fog makes me sleep late.
I need to test out my view here in Southern Oregon (towards Australia and mountain behind me).
Excellent! I really enjoy the posts.
73 Art

C B

Gary,

Great recording! Thanks. I might have expected that with the behemoth FSLs you brought to Rockwork the two years I joined you. The effectiveness of the 6 inch FSLs continues to amaze. I'm glad that braving the elements on the cliff paid dividends for you!

73,

Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 08:46 AM, C B wrote:
Great recording! Thanks. I might have expected that with the behemoth FSLs you brought to Rockwork the two years I joined you. The effectiveness of the 6 inch FSLs continues to amaze. I'm glad that braving the elements on the cliff paid dividends for you!
73,
Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO

Thanks Art and Craig,

Craig, these compact , reworked FSL antennas are the way to go-- just ask Paul, up in Alaska! He mentioned to me yesterday that he thinks his 5 inch FSL outperforms a 4 foot air core box loop. There isn't much sense in dragging the 35 lb. monster FSL's around the ocean cliffs when these 9 lb. models can track down S9+ snarls of the Australians on 531 like this in March, and all-time west coast firsts like 594-Myanmar and 675-AIR in October.

Craig, these new-design 6 inch FSL models pack a little more gain than your 5 inch "Frequent Flyer" model, and I'll be happy to provide you with one prior to your Rockwork Cliff trip in August. I've attached a design photo of the antenna-- which (after its exceptional Asian TP-DX performance in October) has been given a new nickname here-- the "Six Appeal" FSL model :-)

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Paul Blundell

Excellent logging Gary and a great photo to match.

Paul

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 8:53 PM Gary DeBock via groups.io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
How wild is ocean cliff DXing? Well, here is a minor sample. At 1415 UTC on March 3rd a 6 inch (15cm) FSL antenna set up on the Rockwork 2 plunging cliff near Manzanita, Oregon (USA) tracked down 531-4KZ (with an oldies format) and 531-2PM (with a "talker" format) in an S9+ snarl at 11,700 km across the Pacific Ocean (7,250 miles). This was on a 7.5 inch loopstick XHDATA D-808, set up on the ocean cliff as shown in the attached photo taken during the same sunrise session. Wacky!  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/mw5rw63b1ypraa4y0p9k457tfcmzq99e

Gary DeBock (DXing at the Rockwork 2 Ocean Cliff near Manzanita, OR, USA)

C B

Gary,

Thank you for your offer of one of your latest 6 inch FSLs!! Given that the 5 inch “Frequent Flyer” FSL is proven to be no slouch, I can’t wait to try the 6 inch FSL!!

Thanks & 73,

Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO