XHDATA D-808 Squelch Capability

Gary DeBock

Thanks to Satoshi Miyauchi of Sagamihara, Japan for detailed information on the Squelch capability of the XHDATA D-808 portable. My 10-page mouse print manual for the D-808 said nothing about a Squelch capability, but Satoshi-san has provided all the details, which have been included in the updated D-808 review article excerpt (from the 2021 Ultralight Radio Shootout review) which is posted at  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/8y6855bnfmy45rnk46mzr7hb4pwjz8u8

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Paul Blundell

That is an interesting find and just shows that often these manuals can not be trusted.

Paul
https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/

Dave613

Just compared your review comments on squelch to the way my D808 behaves and have a couple of comments:

You observed that “While still pressing in the Tuning knob you can adjust the Squelch level by turning the Tuning knob clockwise to raise the squelch level from 1 to 9.”
On my example you do not need to hold the Tuning knob pressed in to adjust the squelch level (although it still works if you do hold the knob in while adjusting).

You observed that “In the Squelch mode you can also toggle the Squelch speed by short pressing the Tuning knob to switch between “Off, Fast and Slow””.
On my example a short press in of the tuning knob toggles between Off, Fast and Slow tuning (not squelch), e.g. on SW Fast = 5KHz steps, Slow = 1KHz steps, Off = 0KHz steps (i.e. tuning knob inoperative). This is as described in the manual and works the same regardless of squelch setting.

BTW, impressed that you've disassembled and inspected 12 samples of this radio - that's probably more than the manufacturer :)

Gary DeBock

Thanks Dave,

<<<   You observed that “In the Squelch mode you can also toggle the Squelch speed by short pressing the Tuning knob to switch between “Off, Fast and Slow””.
On my example a short press in of the tuning knob toggles between Off, Fast and Slow tuning (not squelch), e.g. on SW Fast = 5KHz steps, Slow = 1KHz steps, Off = 0KHz steps (i.e. tuning knob inoperative). This is as described in the manual and works the same regardless of squelch setting.   >>>

You are absolutely correct-- a short inward press of the D-808's tuning knob toggles between fast, slow and locked tuning-- and does this on all bands, with the current status of this setting shown in the center right area of the display after the frequency readout. This function has no relation to Squelch, and the full D-808 review article at the following link has been corrected and updated    https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/8y6855bnfmy45rnk46mzr7hb4pwjz8u8

The confusion over the D-808's Squelch capability was related to the total lack of any information on the subject in my 10 page, tiny-print owner's manual. There are apparently some D-808 owner's manuals that are more detailed and include information on this subject, but it's pretty obvious that providing highly detailed and informative owner's manuals was not  a top XHDATA priority. Even the "economy model" Radiwow R-108 (from the same company) has a fairly decent 23-page owner's manual.

<<<   BTW, impressed that you've disassembled and inspected 12 samples of this radio - that's probably more than the manufacturer :)   >>>

Thanks! Actually the Navy electronics training that Steve. R., Dale P. and I went through was probably far tougher than anything the Chinese repair technicians experienced. No stock loopstick has ever been safe in this environment-- they all get replaced sooner or later!

73, Gary