Portable Ultralight DXing Session - 25/02/2021 - Conara Park

Paul Blundell

Date: 25/02/2021
Time: 4:00 PM
Location: Conara Park, Midlands, Tasmania.
Notes: A portable late afternoon session. I had a day trip to Hobart yesterday for work. I was limited for time on the way down but was able to stop on the way back. In the days prior to this, I had spent some time on Google Maps researching some locations for a portable Ultralight DXing session on the drive back.  Below is some information on each location, sadly I was unable to undertake a portable Ultralight DXing session at any, except for the last one.

Benjafield Park: This was my preferred location as it was close to where I was working for the day. When I drove past, the council were mowing and had the car park blocked. Based on this I kept driving.

Granton Park: This is near the entry to Hobart, I was unable to stop due to the flow of traffic and being in the wrong lane.

Ross Bridge Park: I pulled up and started to setup but found that somebody had dumped some rubbish near the tables, the smell from this was disgusting.

Pedder Street Park: I drove past but found that the picnic table had been removed, not allowing anywhere to setup.

Conara Park: This was my last location, I found a parking spot and setup on a table. I logged 14 stations, all were as I would expect with 3CR on 855kHz being a bit of a surprise, for a 3.5KW station, it had a good signal. 3GG on 531kHz was also logged at a good signal levels and with the help of my 3” FSL, it’s callsign and station slogan was logged well.

Over all it was an enjoyable session and gave me a nice break on the drive home.

FREQ

CALLSIGN

531

3GG