Hello from the new guy . . . with a question


Jock Elliott
 

Hi, Jock Elliott here. If that name seems vaguely familiar, I used to write for Passport to World Band Radio, PopComm, Monitoring Times, QST. My biggest radio activity right now is running the Commuter Assistance Net here in the Capital District of New York State -- https://thebig94.wordpress.com/commuter-assistance-net/

Three scanners are used in running the net, and I first became aware of the Ultralight group through Radio Reference . . . and through that reference, and some research, I became interested in AM BCB DX, and I recently ordered a CCRE2. So I am not an Ultralight hound yet, but I do "get" the challenge of doing more with less. Further, this seems to be an active group, so I thought I might join up and see what goes on.

Has anyone a shoot-out between a full-boogy ultralight with attendant inductive antenna and a full-size portable like the CCRE2? I'm just curious which has the edge in performance.

Finally, I thought I'd report my first attempt at AM BCD DX. Firing up my Satellite 800, tuning slooooooowly away from WGY 810 (50K watts clear channel), at 4 am I picked up a station in Michigan. No ID, but clearly talking about Michigan and Michigan local stuff. . . so about 500+ miles away.


Gary DeBock
 

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 10:29 AM, Jock Elliott wrote:
Has anyone a shoot-out between a full-boogy ultralight with attendant inductive antenna and a full-size portable like the CCRE2? I'm just curious which has the edge in performance.
Hello Jock,

Welcome to the group, and thanks for your introduction!

Detailed comparison reviews between stock (or modified) Ultralight radios and full-sized portables are kind of rare, but Jay Allen has done a lot of comparison testing with all types of portables, so that might be a good place to check  —————AM Portables Mega Shootout – 2020 Update————— | radiojayallen

If you would like a detailed comparison review of four currently popular Ultralight radio models (and one very popular reference model, which is slightly too large to qualify), you are in luck. The major 2021 Ultralight Radio Shootout is currently under way, and should be wrapped up in about a month (see photo).

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

 


Gary DeBock
 

The attached photo for the last post somehow got deleted


Paul Blundell
 

Welcome Jock, it is good to see you on here.

Paul

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021, 05:29 Jock Elliott, <jock.elliott@...> wrote:
Hi, Jock Elliott here. If that name seems vaguely familiar, I used to write for Passport to World Band Radio, PopComm, Monitoring Times, QST. My biggest radio activity right now is running the Commuter Assistance Net here in the Capital District of New York State -- https://thebig94.wordpress.com/commuter-assistance-net/

Three scanners are used in running the net, and I first became aware of the Ultralight group through Radio Reference . . . and through that reference, and some research, I became interested in AM BCB DX, and I recently ordered a CCRE2. So I am not an Ultralight hound yet, but I do "get" the challenge of doing more with less. Further, this seems to be an active group, so I thought I might join up and see what goes on.

Has anyone a shoot-out between a full-boogy ultralight with attendant inductive antenna and a full-size portable like the CCRE2? I'm just curious which has the edge in performance.

Finally, I thought I'd report my first attempt at AM BCD DX. Firing up my Satellite 800, tuning slooooooowly away from WGY 810 (50K watts clear channel), at 4 am I picked up a station in Michigan. No ID, but clearly talking about Michigan and Michigan local stuff. . . so about 500+ miles away.


radiojayallen
 

Gary,

I can't wait to read your review...I have all of these except the PL-380 so it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Jay


Jock Elliott
 

Gary,

I've been away; I've been distracted, so I may have missed it.

Has that ultralight shootout that you were working on been published?

Cheers, Jock


Gary DeBock
 

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 03:57 AM, Jock Elliott wrote:
Gary,

I've been away; I've been distracted, so I may have missed it.

Has that ultralight shootout that you were working on been published?

Cheers, Jock
Hi Again Jock,

The 2021 Ultralight Radio Shootout is an extremely detailed comparison of the XHDATA D-808, Radiwow R-108, Tecsun PL-330, C. Crane Skywave and Tecsun PL-380 models. Part One of the Shootout (18 pages) has already been published in the Medium Wave News April edition, and includes full reviews of the D-808, R-108 and PL-330. Part Two of the Shootout is being completed this week, and will include additional full reviews of the CC Skywave and PL-380, plus the Shootout portion (where these models' signals will be directly compared on MW, FM, SW and AIR). The Part Two will also include a "final verdict" for each model, judging its value in the 2021 pocket radio market. "Part Two" should be published in the May edition of the Medium Wave News, after which all five detailed model reviews and the full article (about 35 pages) will be available to all.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)