2021 Radio Challenges and ocean cliff effect?

Jorge Garzón

Hi Paul and others,
While I was reading your post, a new challenge came to my mind. Something that could be both interesting and rewarding: logging MW stations during daytime: from (local) sunrise to (local) sunset times. That's all!

Propagation is a kind of mistery (well, in fact not all); the first one and a half hour after sunrise and before sunset can be very, very special.

Before yesterday I was parked over some ocean cliffs, not the highest ones we have, but about 40 m high. It was 10am in the morning with the sun in the sky, and I was in the car (was windy outside) zapping UK MW stations as they reach the Northern Spanish shore quite well in the mornings. I checked 1278 kHz and I heard quite a strong signal with lounge music. It faded down quickly after 25 sec, but came back a minute later for a minute more, weakest but well audible. After that, dissapeared in the noise. Maybe not the second burst but I am pretty sure that the first and shorter one would have been heard in an ULR/portable radio. I just had the autoradio, regular selectivity, fixed 9kHz steps, small roof antenna, but quite sensitive.

What I heard? Please, check this:
https://twitter.com/FMDXIreland/status/1348771038067372035?s=19

And Gary, now I add... Is this a tiny ocean Cliff effect? And yes, the cliff was facing west 🤷🏻‍♂️

73!

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX"
(EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409)
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX

En martes, 12 de enero de 2021 23:00:01 CET, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> escribió:

That is a good idea, once I have completed the 50kw's I might try for some of the lower power ones.

Paul

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 4:41 AM Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:28 AM Peter Laws via groups.io
<plaws0=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

> Lol!  I had the same idea! Used the Mesa Mike list (http://mesamike.org/radio/cdbs/amdb.mvc ).

The Topazdesigns site is my go-to for station info because it includes
stations in Canada.  I couldn't recall why I used Mesa Mike for this
listing but just remembered - the former won't list ALL stations while
the latter will!   I cut and pasted the whole list into a spreadsheet,
then sorted by Night Power then frequency and chopped off everything
below 25 kW at night (not *technically* throwing flames but I'm more
likely to hear them instead of a 10 kW (only 15 listings with night
power at 25 kW or above and less than 50 kW - 94 at a Full 50 kW).

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:55 AM, Jorge Garzón wrote:
What I heard? Please, check this:
https://twitter.com/FMDXIreland/status/1348771038067372035?s=19

And Gary, now I add... Is this a tiny ocean Cliff effect? And yes, the cliff was facing west 🤷🏻‍♂️

73!
Wow Jorge,

1280-CFMB really is awesome ocean cliff DX for such a late time in the morning on the Spanish coast!

To be honest, though, I have personally experienced so many unusual receptions on the Rockwork ocean cliff in Oregon (facing both Southwest to New Zealand, and west to Asia) that I'm not really surprised at these freakish receptions. For example, because of challenging propagation it is extremely rare for any MW station from India to be received on the USA west coast (I think that the last one before October was about 10 years ago, with Patrick Martin's reception of 864-AIR in Shillong). But a tiny 6 inch (15cm) FSL not only provided reception of 675-AIR at the Rockwork 2 cliff in October, but also 576-Myanmar and 594-Myanmar, all on a C.Crane Skywave Ultralight.

I hope you will continue to investigate the ocean cliffs on the Spanish coast, Jorge, especially with Ultralight radios around sunrise. I'm sure that you will enjoy many more astonishing receptions!

73, Gary