2021 Radio Challenge - 50KW Stations

Paul Blundell

Hi all,

A new year brings a new radio challenge for me. I have decided to challenge myself to log every 50kw big gun station in Australia. I am not sure how long this will take and how successfully this will be but I think it will be a good challenge.
Below is the log sheet I have created for this.

Paul

Dan Merta

All the best with it. I think it's quite possible.

Peter Laws

Lol!  I had the same idea! Used the Mesa Mike list (http://mesamike.org/radio/cdbs/amdb.mvc ).

This is just the top of the list.  Green means I've logged it here in Oklahoma (EM15if).

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 8:23 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:
Hi all,

A new year brings a new radio challenge for me. I have decided to challenge myself to log every 50kw big gun station in Australia. I am not sure how long this will take and how successfully this will be but I think it will be a good challenge.
Below is the log sheet I have created for this.

Peter Laws

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:28 AM Peter Laws via groups.io
<plaws0@...> wrote:

Lol! I had the same idea! Used the Mesa Mike list (http://mesamike.org/radio/cdbs/amdb.mvc ).

The Topazdesigns site is my go-to for station info because it includes
stations in Canada. I couldn't recall why I used Mesa Mike for this
listing but just remembered - the former won't list ALL stations while
the latter will! I cut and pasted the whole list into a spreadsheet,
then sorted by Night Power then frequency and chopped off everything
below 25 kW at night (not *technically* throwing flames but I'm more
likely to hear them instead of a 10 kW (only 15 listings with night
power at 25 kW or above and less than 50 kW - 94 at a Full 50 kW).

Thanks Dan. I have had to push the start of this back a bit as work has thrown up some curve balls.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 9:43 PM Dan Merta <dnmerta0@...> wrote:
All the best with it. I think it's quite possible.

Good work Peter. I will be keen to see how it goes for you.

Paul

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 4:28 AM Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:
Lol!  I had the same idea! Used the Mesa Mike list (http://mesamike.org/radio/cdbs/amdb.mvc ).

This is just the top of the list.  Green means I've logged it here in Oklahoma (EM15if).

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 8:23 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:
Hi all,

A new year brings a new radio challenge for me. I have decided to challenge myself to log every 50kw big gun station in Australia. I am not sure how long this will take and how successfully this will be but I think it will be a good challenge.
Below is the log sheet I have created for this.

That is a good idea, once I have completed the 50kw's I might try for some of the lower power ones.

Paul

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 3:50 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

Good work Peter. I will be keen to see how it goes for you.
Thanks - me too!

I was going to say "some are probably out of reach" and while that is
probably true for AK and HI stations, I did recently log WBZ-1030 in
Boston and I never imagined I'd log them from here in Oklahoma.

I just tallied the list and have 32 logged of the 109 listed. That's
shocking to me! And I haven't even really scoured my logs - I might
have others!

Peter Laws

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 5:03 PM Peter Laws via groups.io
<plaws0@...> wrote:

I just tallied the list and have 32 logged of the 109 listed. That's
shocking to me! And I haven't even really scoured my logs - I might
have others!
3 more dug up, so 35/109. Pretty pleased with that. California is
tough, but I've logged KNX-1070 in LA ... New England and the
Northeast are tough ... but as noted, I logged WBZ-1030 in Boston a
few weeks back.

Thanks for making me dig, Paul B!

Richard Allen

Peter:

There was time when WBZ was easily heard in Oklahoma, but it’s difficult now. When I was stationed at Beale AFB CA in 1969, it wasn’t unusual to hear WBZ, as well as WABC, WCBS, WNBC and most of the eastern clears. I use to listen to KOMA most nights. Then the FCC started screwing things up and now it’s mostly a log jam.

I have heard WBZ and WABC a couple of times this winter albeit briefly.

Good DX.

Richard Allen.

Peter Laws

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 6:19 PM Richard Allen via groups.io
<dx747j@...> wrote:

Peter:

There was time when WBZ was easily heard in Oklahoma, but it’s difficult now. When I was stationed at Beale AFB CA in 1969, it wasn’t unusual to hear WBZ, as well as WABC, WCBS, WNBC and most of the eastern clears. I use to listen to KOMA most nights. Then the FCC started screwing things up and now it’s mostly a log jam.

I have heard WBZ and WABC a couple of times this winter albeit briefly.
Clears are not what they used to be ... and really haven't been in 40
years. :-(

WABC, eh? A favorite when I was a kid ... but I was only 500 km due
north of them then! I shall try to log them ... perhaps whenever
Cousin Brucie has his show.

WABC and WCBS are still there, but WNBC pretends to be "WFAN" ... :-)