Video - Medium Wave Interference

Paul Blundell

Over the past few weeks I have noticed some interference on the medium wave band. This seems to be more noticable during the day but a couple of times overnight it has appeared at random times. I have walked around the house and can't find the source.

Ken Kizer

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 19:46:41 +1100, "Paul Blundell via groups.io"
<tanger32au@...> wrote:

Over the past few weeks I have noticed some interference on the medium wave
band. This seems to be more noticable during the day but a couple of times
overnight it has appeared at random times. I have walked around the house
and can't find the source.

The video below shows it:
https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2021/01/video-medium-wave-interference.html
When I'm tracking interference, I usually cycle through the circuit
breakers, turning off one at a time, in the house breaker box. At
least I can tell if it's in the house or not.

The last time, I isolated it to the garage breaker, then, unplugging
one thing at a time, found it was the cable TV provider's box outside
(Verizon FIOS ONT)- not the power supply, the actual converter box.
Swapping in a new one didn't fix it however, so now I just turn it
(and the garage door opener) off if I want to dx.

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the suggestion on turning off the power on each circuit, next time I am home alone I will give this a try.

Paul

<tanger32au=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

>Over the past few weeks I have noticed some interference on the medium wave
>band. This seems to be more noticable during the day but a couple of times
>overnight it has appeared at random times. I have walked around the house
>and can't find the source.
>
>The video below shows it:
>https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2021/01/video-medium-wave-interference.html

When I'm tracking interference, I usually cycle through the circuit
breakers, turning off one at a time, in the house breaker box. At
least I can tell if it's in the house or not.

The last time, I isolated it to the garage breaker, then, unplugging
one thing at a time, found it was the cable TV provider's box outside
(Verizon FIOS ONT)- not the power supply, the actual converter box.
Swapping in a new one didn't fix it however, so now I just turn it
(and the garage door opener) off if I want to dx.

Paul Blundell

Well today I had a chance to look in to this more as I was home alone and the signal was back, very strong at times.

I turned off each circuit, walking around I was able to find the strongest signal was in one room which is closest to our neighbours.

I headed outside and when I was against our side fence, this signal overloaded on many frequencies.

So I now know where the source is, now to log the dates and times to see if I can find out what is causing it.

Paul

On Mon., 4 Jan. 2021, 05:31 Paul Blundell via groups.io, <tanger32au=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion on turning off the power on each circuit, next time I am home alone I will give this a try.

Paul

On Sun., 3 Jan. 2021, 21:38 Ken Kizer, <ken@...> wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 19:46:41 +1100, "Paul Blundell via groups.io"
<tanger32au=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

>Over the past few weeks I have noticed some interference on the medium wave
>band. This seems to be more noticable during the day but a couple of times
>overnight it has appeared at random times. I have walked around the house
>and can't find the source.
>
>The video below shows it:
>https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2021/01/video-medium-wave-interference.html

When I'm tracking interference, I usually cycle through the circuit
breakers, turning off one at a time, in the house breaker box. At
least I can tell if it's in the house or not.

The last time, I isolated it to the garage breaker, then, unplugging
one thing at a time, found it was the cable TV provider's box outside
(Verizon FIOS ONT)- not the power supply, the actual converter box.
Swapping in a new one didn't fix it however, so now I just turn it
(and the garage door opener) off if I want to dx.

radiojayallen

Good luck with that Paul. I don't know how well you know your neighbor but the first prerequisite will be to remain friendly and try to explain why you are doing what you're doing and of course offer to help in any way you can. Dealing with neighbors is of primary importance in these situations...again...good luck! Not all such situations end well.

Jay

Paul Blundell

Thanks Jay, never met them before...

On Sun., 10 Jan. 2021, 02:11 radiojayallen, <radiojayallen@...> wrote:
Good luck with that Paul. I don't know how well you know your neighbor but the first prerequisite will be to remain friendly and try to explain why you are doing what you're doing and of course offer to help in any way you can. Dealing with neighbors is of primary importance in these situations...again...good luck! Not all such situations end well.

Jay

Paul Blundell

Well in the past two weeks I have been keeping a log of the dates and times. It appears at random times during the day and of a night time it seems to be more common on the really hot nights, I am thinking a fan or AC unit? I have not noticed any external changes which this could relate to.

One thing I have noticed is that often the signal comes and goes very quickly, it will appear for a few seconds then go and come back for a minute then go again, it also varies in strength, this makes me think it might be something portable?