Happy Ultralight New Year (Read at Own Risk)

Gary DeBock

Hi Guys,

This is re-posted from an original message on January 1, 2008-- right in the middle of the original Ultralight Radio Boom here in North America. At the time the wild SRF-59 craze had rocked the MW-DXing community, to the extent that 95% of the daily posts on the IRCA list were related to Ultralight Radios. Arrangements were made by John Bryant to set up our own Yahoo Group, thereby ensuring that the IRCA list would not be "hijacked" by the wildly enthusiastic pocket radio fanatics.

73 and Happy New Year,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

The weather is icy, the snow is quite deep...

The TA's and TP's have fallen asleep.

The bands they are dreary, the Asians are gone...

The current conditions provoke a big yawn.

But deep in our hearts, we know there is hope..

A new day is dawning, no reason to mope.

We hold in our hands the key to success..

A tiny receiver that banishes stress.

It warms the winter like cookies from Mom,

And zaps IBOC gloom like a nuclear bomb.

It nulls all your pests, eats locals for lunch...

And of all of your toys is the best of the bunch!

When winter is over, and spring shall appear..

We all know DXers will jump with great cheer.

For tiny receivers will lead us to joy...

And make us all feel like we did as a boy.

We may not be young now, and over the hill..

But these tiny toys still provoke a great thrill.

The Club, it has hope now, the future is bright..

Happy New Year to All... with a new Ultralight!

73 and Apologies to All, Gary

Paul Blundell

Thanks for sharing that Gary, it is good to see some of the early posts and hear the history of how the group came about.

I hope 2021 is a good one for you and the group in general.

Paul

On Fri., 1 Jan. 2021, 20:53 Gary DeBock via groups.io, <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Phillip Fimiani

Happy New Year Gary,

Spent the early morning listening to AM on the east coast on my ATS909, picked up 33 stations easily. My PL380 ... 1 station!! Time to open up an have a look see...  It has the added ferrite coil on the outside, but its dead as a doornail.... Even my SRF-39 picks up a lot....without an external inductive coil !

Fun for the new year...

--
73
Phil

keith beesley

Love it, Gary. Don't remember seeing this before, although I've been here quite a while.

Happy new year and good DX to all!

Keith

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 05:51 AM, Phillip Fimiani wrote:
Happy New Year Gary,

Spent the early morning listening to AM on the east coast on my ATS909, picked up 33 stations easily. My PL380 ... 1 station!! Time to open up an have a look see...  It has the added ferrite coil on the outside, but its dead as a doornail.... Even my SRF-39 picks up a lot....without an external inductive coil !

Fun for the new year...

Happy New Year Phil (and Paul, Keith and All),

Phil, it sounds like your PL-380 might have one of the external ferrite coil leads disconnected from the RF circuit board. The PL-380' circuit board connection points for the loopstick are kind of flimsy, and subject to problems like this unless the Litz wire is soldered very carefully, with minimum heat and solder,

Gary

.

Paul S. in CT

When I joined in May '08, the DSP revolution was just beginning with the PL-310. I had been using a WRX-911 (Kaito) as a spotter for a 1-Transistor DIY contest for 3 years (06-07-08 winters) and had bought an R-911 (Tecsun) as replacement (donated the WRX-911 to my niece). The noise levels back then were more moderate... no electric fences, motion detectors, fewer bad personal electronics, etc. Its pretty tough around here these days... shortwave is a hash-fest rendering WWV nearly unusable, fortuneately CHU 3330 comes in quite good here. AM-MW gets messy, too on the very few open channels remaining (2 I think).

I ended 2020 with 662 unique stations all verified by call-sign.

Regards
Paul S. in CT FN31nl