CITY PARK RADIO

WAY FM

RPH LAUNCESTON

107.7*

SEA FM

* = New Loggings

Timothy Zamora

Impressive set of radio ears.

Been a long while since I did this myself. Did you get better reception in the straight up vertical position, a one up/one to the side approach, or both ears angled to the side?

Cheers,
Timothy

Paul Blundell

Thanks Timothy.

I did try a few different angles. I have also just purchased a second set and an extension cable so I can try a few side by side comparisons with another radio.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 3:47 PM Timothy Zamora via groups.io <tgzamora=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Been a long while since I did this myself. Did you get better reception in the straight up vertical position, a one up/one to the side approach, or both ears angled to the side?

Cheers,
Timothy

--
Paul

Phillip Fimiani

Hmm I had a Ozzipole (Buddipole) I was making for HF... It could easily be adapted to FM freqs. You got me thinking.

Directionality is a great advantage for MW and FM chasing.

Mortimer says "Stay Safe"
Best Regards
Phil
KD2HTN / WA2069SWL
Long: 34.210293 Lat:-78.057048
FM04xf 30dl

On Sunday, December 13, 2020, 11:47:09 PM EST, Timothy Zamora via groups.io <tgzamora@...> wrote:

Cheers,
Timothy

--
Phil
KD2HTN / WA2069SWL
FM04xf 30dl

Paul Blundell

Thanks Phil, it would be great to see some more people checking out the FM band.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 2:56 AM Phillip Fimiani via groups.io <myamiphil=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hmm I had a Ozzipole (Buddipole) I was making for HF... It could easily be adapted to FM freqs. You got me thinking.

Directionality is a great advantage for MW and FM chasing.

Mortimer says "Stay Safe"
Best Regards
Phil
KD2HTN / WA2069SWL
FM04xf 30dl

On Sunday, December 13, 2020, 11:47:09 PM EST, Timothy Zamora via groups.io <tgzamora=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Cheers,
Timothy

--
Phil
KD2HTN / WA2069SWL
FM04xf 30dl

--
Paul

Richard Allen

Paul:

To date, I have logged 878 FM stations using a barefoot ultralight receiver, primarily a Tecsun PL-606. Of the stations heard, 354 stations were propagated by sporadic-E (Es). The most distance signal was 2346 km, from KKRZ, 100.3 MHz, Portland, Oregon. My longest distance signal by meteor reflection (Ms) is KRNS, 95.1 MHz, Kinston, North Carolina, at 1815 km. I’ve also heard KRNS via Es.

All it requires is checking the band at the right time and a lot of patience. It’s somewhat easier in North America because of the overwhelming number of stations.

Good DX.

Richard Allen,
near Perry OK USA.

Paul Blundell

Thanks Richard. If I can get over 50-75 stations at this point, I will be very happy.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 2:21 PM Richard Allen via groups.io <dx747j=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul:

To date, I have logged 878 FM stations using a barefoot ultralight receiver, primarily a Tecsun PL-606.  Of the stations heard, 354 stations were propagated by sporadic-E (Es).  The most distance signal was 2346 km, from KKRZ, 100.3 MHz, Portland, Oregon.  My longest distance signal by meteor reflection (Ms) is KRNS, 95.1 MHz, Kinston, North Carolina, at 1815 km.  I’ve also heard KRNS via Es.

All it requires is checking the band at the right time and a lot of patience.  It’s somewhat easier in North America because of the overwhelming number of stations.

Good DX.

Richard Allen,
near Perry OK USA.

--
Paul

Richard Allen

On Dec 14, 2020, at 21:30, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

Thanks Richard. If I can get over 50-75 stations at this point, I will be very happy.
._,_

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the links, I will have a good look at them.

Paul

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 2:47 PM Richard Allen via groups.io <dx747j=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Have checked out the information at 

Also:

Richard.

On Dec 14, 2020, at 21:30, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

._,_

--
Paul

K7DWI Art

Hi Paul and others,
A reminder....
You are now at the peak of the Spring/Summer Sporadic Es Season (Summer Solstice) Down Under.
When you DX the FMBC bands, I would extend the arms of the Rabbit Ears 45 degrees or more to make them directional. Polarization on Es does not matter, so using it as a Dipole does.
Use a radio that can utilizes RDS. It makes life easier to identify. 
In addition, start in the lower part of the band and work your way up as conditions improve.
With Es, the frequency (MUF) increases as it intensifies. You see it at 87 MHz before 108.
I would love to do that from where you are located. It would be so much fun.

You want to read what I have done just playing around, my Blog post on DXing FMBC with a $17 US RTL-SDR:
http://ka5dwipropagation.blogspot.com/2017/11/using-software-defined-radio-sdr-on-fm.html
Enjoy, have fun.
Art Jackson K7DWI  in Southern Oregon, formerly central Arizona and north Texas 

Paul Blundell

Thanks Art.

Now that the weather is "meant" to be improving, I will be getting out and about more. I have a DXing (MW and FM) planned for later on and hope this will produce some good results.

Paul

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 5:27 AM K7DWI Art <k7dwicn82@...> wrote:

Hi Paul and others,
A reminder....
You are now at the peak of the Spring/Summer Sporadic Es Season (Summer Solstice) Down Under.
When you DX the FMBC bands, I would extend the arms of the Rabbit Ears 45 degrees or more to make them directional. Polarization on Es does not matter, so using it as a Dipole does.
Use a radio that can utilizes RDS. It makes life easier to identify. 
In addition, start in the lower part of the band and work your way up as conditions improve.
With Es, the frequency (MUF) increases as it intensifies. You see it at 87 MHz before 108.
I would love to do that from where you are located. It would be so much fun.

You want to read what I have done just playing around, my Blog post on DXing FMBC with a $17 US RTL-SDR:
http://ka5dwipropagation.blogspot.com/2017/11/using-software-defined-radio-sdr-on-fm.html
Enjoy, have fun.
Art Jackson K7DWI  in Southern Oregon, formerly central Arizona and north Texas 

--
Paul