AR-1733 Fault

Paul Blundell

Over the weekend, my AR-1733 died. The display went off, thinking it was flat batteries I swapped these over, this made no difference.

Today I returned it to Jaycar, they have seen this before, if the batteries go dead flat, they can lock up and even with new batteries they won't work.

End rest is a new radio which does work. If you have one of these, please keep this in mind.

Paul

Jorge Garzón

That's a crazy bug, as batteries go flat oftenly. How do you avoid that?

Jorge Garzón (EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL)
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX

En lunes, 23 de noviembre de 2020 11:25:22 CET, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> escribió:

Over the weekend, my AR-1733 died. The display went off, thinking it was flat batteries I swapped these over, this made no difference.

Today I returned it to Jaycar, they have seen this before, if the batteries go dead flat, they can lock up and even with new batteries they won't work.

End rest is a new radio which does work. If you have one of these, please keep this in mind.

Paul

Michael.2E0IHW

The same happened to mine. I was happy with it until then...
Before donating it to landfill, I will probably tear it apart and
see if any bits can be recycled. Maybe the speaker...

Michael UK

On 23/11/2020 10:25, Paul Blundell wrote:
Over the weekend, my AR-1733 died. The display went off, thinking it was flat batteries I swapped these over, this made no difference.

Today I returned it to Jaycar, they have seen this before, if the batteries go dead flat, they can lock up and even with new batteries they won't work.

End rest is a new radio which does work. If you have one of these, please keep this in mind.

Paul

Gord Seifert

  Hope that does not effect the AR-1780! Just had one arrive yesterday and am pretty impressed. It seems just as good as either the PL-310et or the Eton Satellit Grundig Edition in reception. The AGC is far better than that in theTecsun where it is way too slow to keep up with fluttery fading. Also the bandwidth filters seem much more usable than those in the Tecsun where they seem to accentuate the high pitched background hiss. Audio is better than the Tecsun but not as good as the Satellit. The SSB is far better than the Satellit's. In the Satellit it is mainly useless for use on a normal signal to select one sideband or the other to avoid interference from a nearby signal. The AR-1780's SSB is very useful for that. Exremely stable! And the separate fine tuning wheel is wonderful. With SSB, on it is just like the extremely fine tuning of the Satellit, plus or minus very small amounts, which should be excellent for a true SSB signal. WIth SSB off, the fine tuning is in 1kHz steps so you almost never need to chose between fast and slow on the main tuning knob. ATS works but is not near as useful as in either of the others. There is no provision for deleting, copying or pasting a frequency that I can find. Do a scan and you need to keep your eyes on it since it just flashes up a message that it is saving something into a particular slot. If you miss the message you won't know how many frequencies it saved. You can not browse through saved frequencies with the tuning knob like you can with the PL-380et. You need to press 0 through 9 and then switch to another page and again press 0 through 9 again to scan through them. But least there are 10 slots per page, a bit more sensible than the Satellit where a page has seven slots. Nice radio! I would not like to see it die like the AR-1733 seems to do.

  Regards,
  Gord

Paul Blundell

I guess you don't let them go dead flat or remove the batteries before this happens.

Paul

On Mon., 23 Nov. 2020, 22:39 Jorge Garzón via groups.io, <iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
That's a crazy bug, as batteries go flat oftenly. How do you avoid that?

Jorge Garzón (EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL)
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX

En lunes, 23 de noviembre de 2020 11:25:22 CET, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> escribió:

Over the weekend, my AR-1733 died. The display went off, thinking it was flat batteries I swapped these over, this made no difference.

Today I returned it to Jaycar, they have seen this before, if the batteries go dead flat, they can lock up and even with new batteries they won't work.

End rest is a new radio which does work. If you have one of these, please keep this in mind.

I have owned a few of these and this is the first one that has done this.

Paul

On Mon., 23 Nov. 2020, 22:56 Michael.2E0IHW via groups.io, <blumu=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
The same happened to mine. I was happy with it until then...
Before donating it to landfill, I will probably tear it apart and
see if any bits can be recycled. Maybe the speaker...

Michael UK

On 23/11/2020 10:25, Paul Blundell wrote:
Over the weekend, my AR-1733 died. The display went off, thinking it was flat batteries I swapped these over, this made no difference.

Today I returned it to Jaycar, they have seen this before, if the batteries go dead flat, they can lock up and even with new batteries they won't work.

End rest is a new radio which does work. If you have one of these, please keep this in mind.

You should be ok. My AR1780 was solid.