The Ross DX Challenge

Jorge Garzón

Hi,
Paul Logan and me were 'twittering" yesterday and talking about the choice to repeat the '300 MW stations heard over 30 days' which is the main rule (not the only one) to get the mentioned award. Paul, that got it in 2008 said that this is a much more difficult challenge today that on 2008 due to several MW EU stations now dismantled or non operatives.

So, talking and talking we decided to start the Challenge again from yesterday 10th November at 16:30z to 10th December, finishing at the same UTC time. Our local sunset is around 17:30 CEST (UTC+1).

We have been spreading the idea in Twitter and some national radio forums and we found another Spanish folk that will take part on it from today/tomorrow. On Twitter we will use the tag #UltralightDX to easily tracking the posts and results. We've also opened profiles on FMLIST for our loggins.

I am also posting my progress on a daily basis (in Spanish thus I promote the Ultralight side of the hobby in Spain and for Spanish speakers abroad) here: https://iberiadx.wordpress.com/the-ultralight-dx-challenge-2020/

It's fun and rewarding indeed! This morning I've recorded Radio Nacional de Paraguay on 920 kHz just on the barefoot of my DEGEN. More than 9.000 km away from IN83AG, the grid from where I am listening. A new distance record for me operating with this light or ultralight portables and no external aids at all.

¡Buen DX!

Jorge Garzón (EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL)
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX

robert ross

Hi Guys:

   Glad to see the Ross DX Challenge that  John Bryant named after me being resurrected by a few Ultralight DXers! That’s what really kick started my ULR DXing Career back in 2008. Good luck to all that attempt to meet the Challenge and Log 300 Stations in 30 Days! Here’s a copy of the very First Ross Challenge DX Award that was issued to me in 2008 at when ULR DXing was still in it’s infancy!

73…ROB VA3SW

Robert Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

Jorge Garzón

Hi Robert,
Pleased to e-meet you. I have already see Award nr 1 (yours) and nr 2 (the one got by Paul Logan). How many of them were issued in the past?

73!

En miércoles, 11 de noviembre de 2020 16:32:54 CET, robert ross <va3sw@...> escribió:

Hi Guys:

   Glad to see the Ross DX Challenge that  John Bryant named after me being resurrected by a few Ultralight DXers! That’s what really kick started my ULR DXing Career back in 2008. Good luck to all that attempt to meet the Challenge and Log 300 Stations in 30 Days! Here’s a copy of the very First Ross Challenge DX Award that was issued to me in 2008 at when ULR DXing was still in it’s infancy!

73…ROB VA3SW

Robert Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

robert ross

Jorge……I am not sure how many of them were issued. Gary DeBock may be able to answer that question.

73…ROB VA3SW

On Nov 11, 2020, at 10:52, Jorge Garzón via groups.io <iberiaDX@...> wrote:

[...]

<ULR-Ross DX Challenge 30 Day Award  Barefoot.jpg>
_._,_._,_

Paul Blundell

Awesome work, the more we can promote this great hobby of ours, the better.

Paul

On Thu., 12 Nov. 2020, 02:15 Jorge Garzón via groups.io, <iberiaDX=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Gary DeBock

<<<   Hi Robert,
Pleased to e-meet you. I have already see Award nr 1 (yours) and nr 2 (the one got by Paul Logan). How many of them were issued in the past?
73!
Jorge Garzón   >>>

Hello Jorge,

Thank you again for your generous offer to administer the Ultralight Awards program, and I'm happy that both you and Paul have interest to attempt the Ross DX Challenge.

Unfortunately, all serial number records of the original Award Certificates were lost when John Bryant had his unfortunate accident in February of 2011. These records were kept on his home computer in Stillwater, Oklahoma, and we did not have access to it before it was removed. After John's passing Rob Ross and I came up with a crash program to continue issuing the Award Certificates, with Rob doing the application processing and me doing the Award Certificate artwork on Photoshop. At that time I needed to start a new serial number system for all certificates, so I have no way of knowing how many certificates of each type were issued by John.

Since there are many different Award Certificate styles and designs please wait a while for me to send them to you by private email, Jorge. Of course, you are welcome to modify the design of the certificates as you wish, or even draft your own unique artwork designs. Thank you again for your generous offer!

73, Gary DeBock, N7EKX  (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Paul Blundell

That sounds like a good plan, I am happy to help out where I can.