770 KATL Miles City MT heard in Mid-Michigan

Gary Vance

It has been a long time since I have had something substantive to report in this group.

This past week I have been hearing a music station under 770 kHz WABC New York, NY.

It is only fitting I heard what at first was an UNID station using my little Sony SRF-T615. I also heard the station using my C Crane Skywave.

Albeit, I had to employ an online SDR in Utah and my SDRPlay SDR to positively ID KATL. I hope you agree, the initial reception is an Ultralight DX catch.

Here is the log I submitted to MARE, Michigan Area Radio Enthusiasts, another radio group I am a member of.

770 kHz KATL Miles City MT 1006 UTC  06-Jan-22 For a few days now I've heard a station playing Mx under 770 kHz WABC. My reference materials and a process of elimination suggested the station was KATL. Last evening, and this morning Jan 06, 2022, I heard the Mx station again. @ 1035z using the Northern Utah WebSDR - Server #1 I tuned to 770 KATL and discovered the signal I was hearing in Grand Ledge was // to what I was hearing at my QTH. Credit my Sony SRF-T615 for finding KATL and credit online and home based SDRs for identifying KATL. 10,000 watts (day) 1,000 watts (night) Class B 1065 miles and 291° bearing degrees from my Grand Ledge, MI QTH Sony SRF-T615, C Crane Skywave and SDRPlay RSPdx & PA0RDT

73 Gary Vance Grand Ledge, MI USA

Johnny

Hi Gary!

Great catch!!!

I'm down just a bit from your location in Southern Michigan (Tecumseh).  65 miles from you as the crow flies.

I was literally listening to the same thing (I think), because I was ID'ing the 50KW stations on the AM dial (one of my goals for 2022) and heard "something" that I could never make out "under" 770 WABC with my barefoot Eton Mini.

Really great catch on your part!

(2) more things...

1)  I have never used a WebSDR to help ID a station, very ingenious, could your recommend a website?

2)  MARE, I have heard of it, but will check it out based on your post!

Thanks!

Johnny

Gary Vance

Thanks Johnny, If you are into any aspect of radio, MARE is a great club to belong to.

Here is a link to the online SDR I employed to hear KATL.

http://websdr1.sdrutah.org:8901/index1a.html

On this site I heard KATL mixing with another station. I heard KATL music IDs and news using this SDR.

This link will direct you to more online SDRs http://websdr.org/ Not all of these SDRs cover the Medium Wave band. I just explore until I find one close to my target that covers MW.

Re: the Michigan Area Radio Enthusiasts fraternity. BTW, we do have a female member too.

I know of at least one other MARE member is in this group. I think there are other MARE members here too. My main interest is Medium Wave DXing but I dabble in the LW and HF band as well.

MARE isn’t just for Michigan residents. Ontario Canada, residents are well represented in our cadre. We have members in States that are contiguous to Michigan as well. Ohio, Indiana Illinois.

Club members are encouraged to submit our logs. These logs are published in a Weekly Tipsheet so other members know what is being heard in our listening area.

Most of our members are on a MARRE Member’s email list to receive notices of rare DX opportunities.

These are usually notices of Pirate Radio Activity or a distant MW station that has become proud ect.

If you are on facebook check out Michigan Area Radio Enthusiasts, Inc.

BTW, I don’t get paid to tout MARE. I am just a satisfied member.

73 Gary Vance.

I'm down just a bit from your location in Southern Michigan (Tecumseh).  65 miles from you as the crow flies.

I was literally listening to the same thing (I think), because I was ID'ing the 50KW stations on the AM dial (one of my goals for 2022) and heard "something" that I could never make out "under" 770 WABC with my barefoot Eton Mini.

Really great catch on your part!

(2) more things...

1)  I have never used a WebSDR to help ID a station, very ingenious, could your recommend a website?

2)  MARE, I have heard of it, but will check it out based on your post!

Thanks!

Johnny

Johnny

Super helpful Gary with the SDRs, thanks!

I'll check out MARE, but I do dislike FB, so we'll see if their website has info.

Thanks!  :)

Gary Vance

Let me know if you need information.

If you are into radio, I know you will enjoy belonging to MARE.

In better times than these, MARE members attend DXpeditions.

We spend a weekend away from the electric grid.

MARE DXpeditions are held in a Family Cabin in the Brighton Recreation Area State Park.

The cabins are heated. Each cabin has water and an outhouse close to the cabin.

We have other events as well.

Recently these have been somewhat curtailed due to the Covid situation.

73 and good DX Gary Vance.