Topics

New Tecsun PL-398

Marc Coevoet

Op 14/11/2020 om 21:53 schreef Marc Coevoet via groups.io:
- Tecsun 390
- Tecsun 390mp  the one with the mp3 player (not recorder!)
Tecsun 398mp is the real name ;-)

For former Apple users: Xubuntu.org (menu's up left)
For former Windows users: Lubuntu.org (menu's down left)

Marc Coevoet

Op 14/06/2020 om 21:35 schreef Marc Coevoet:
Op 14/06/2020 om 19:48 schreef mariusz.dorota@...:
Is whip size on both radios the Same ?
pl 390 or 398: size must be around 90cm?
I replaced them with a 110cm!
Marc

For the interest of everyone, I posted some pictures of the inside of

- Tecsun 390
- Tecsun 390mp the one with the mp3 player (not recorder!)

Pictures start at,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191037739@N02/50601395613/in/dateposted-public/

and I suppose you can see them and click forward. The tuners are part of my collection, most are for sale!

I just became a member of flickr for its publishing of full resolution pictures!

Marc
For former Apple users: Xubuntu.org (menu's up left)
For former Windows users: Lubuntu.org (menu's down left)

william yim

Obviously Not!The whip antenna on P
l-398 is about 84cm, but the Pl-310et is only 45cm! I have modified my own 310 with 72cm antenna, but truly not as good as the 398 in terms of the performance!

在 2020年6月15日週一 01:49,mariusz.dorota@... <mariusz.dorota@...> 寫道:

Is whip size on both radios the Same ?

Wysłane z iPhone'a

Wiadomość napisana przez william yim <iamwyim@...> w dniu 14.06.2020, o godz. 18:27:

I have a PL-398MP at home and its pretty good!I have compared with my own Pl
-310et with the PL-398MP owned by my parents. The FM and SW performance on PL-398 is much better than the PL-310et. I haven't test on the MW performance as I seldom listen to MW, but I think that it would be good as well.

在 2020年6月14日週日 23:38,dwight richardson <rdrala77@...> 寫道:

Does anyone have experience with new Tecsun PL-398?  The only review I have seen says that it has a longer MW ferrite loop than the 310. Which is predictable since it has twin 2” speakers vs one on the 310. It was said that the 310 sounded better even with single speaker. And also since it’s a little larger it may fall outside ULR parameters. Also has Bluetooth. Which seem sort of anti climatic being sub par speakers. Redeeming quality seems to be reception. Both on MW and FM.  Supposedly pretty good. So has anyone tried one out yet?
--

Bob Richardson
Tuscaloosa,  AL

dwight richardson

Thank you Marc. I believe whip and ferrite longer on 398 vs 390. But I understand the PL-390 very good so it might be a small difference. Or perhaps none at all. On paper 398 is better but as you note, but variations from one receiver might account for that
--
Bob Richardson

dwight richardson

I believe the whip is longer. That might account for better reception on fm and sw. I am speculating that the chip is same as 310. But cannot verify that. I am told ferrite is longer. Thank you for you input William.
--
Bob Richardson

mariusz.dorota@gmail.com

[...]

I own the pl 390 and pl 398mp, the one with sd card slot.  I use it as my daily radio, to receive and compare reception.  I suppose they are indentical, except for mp or bt.

Marc Coevoet