New Tecsun PL-398

dwight richardson

Does anyone have experience with new Tecsun PL-398?  The only review I have seen says that it has a longer MW ferrite loop than the 310. Which is predictable since it has twin 2” speakers vs one on the 310. It was said that the 310 sounded better even with single speaker. And also since it’s a little larger it may fall outside ULR parameters. Also has Bluetooth. Which seem sort of anti climatic being sub par speakers. Redeeming quality seems to be reception. Both on MW and FM.  Supposedly pretty good. So has anyone tried one out yet?
--

Bob Richardson
Tuscaloosa,  AL

Marc Coevoet

I own the pl 390 and pl 398mp, the one with sd card slot.  I use it as my daily radio, to receive and compare reception.  I suppose they are indentical, except for mp or bt.

Marc Coevoet

Op zo 14 jun. 2020 17:38 schreef dwight richardson <rdrala77@...>:

Does anyone have experience with new Tecsun PL-398?  The only review I have seen says that it has a longer MW ferrite loop than the 310. Which is predictable since it has twin 2” speakers vs one on the 310. It was said that the 310 sounded better even with single speaker. And also since it’s a little larger it may fall outside ULR parameters. Also has Bluetooth. Which seem sort of anti climatic being sub par speakers. Redeeming quality seems to be reception. Both on MW and FM.  Supposedly pretty good. So has anyone tried one out yet?
--

Bob Richardson
Tuscaloosa,  AL

william yim

I have a PL-398MP at home and its pretty good!I have compared with my own Pl
-310et with the PL-398MP owned by my parents. The FM and SW performance on PL-398 is much better than the PL-310et. I haven't test on the MW performance as I seldom listen to MW, but I think that it would be good as well.

在 2020年6月14日週日 23:38,dwight richardson <rdrala77@...> 寫道:

Does anyone have experience with new Tecsun PL-398?  The only review I have seen says that it has a longer MW ferrite loop than the 310. Which is predictable since it has twin 2” speakers vs one on the 310. It was said that the 310 sounded better even with single speaker. And also since it’s a little larger it may fall outside ULR parameters. Also has Bluetooth. Which seem sort of anti climatic being sub par speakers. Redeeming quality seems to be reception. Both on MW and FM.  Supposedly pretty good. So has anyone tried one out yet?
--

Bob Richardson
Tuscaloosa,  AL

mariusz.dorota@gmail.com <mariusz.dorota@...>

Is whip size on both radios the Same ?

Wysłane z iPhone'a

Wiadomość napisana przez william yim <iamwyim@...> w dniu 14.06.2020, o godz. 18:27:

Op 14/06/2020 om 19:48 schreef mariusz.dorota@...:
Is whip size on both radios the Same ?

pl 390 or 398: size must be around 90cm?

I replaced them with a 110cm!

Marc
For former Apple users: Xubuntu.org (menu's up left)
For former Windows users: Lubuntu.org (menu's down left)

dwight richardson

I believe the whip is longer. That might account for better reception on fm and sw. I am speculating that the chip is same as 310. But cannot verify that. I am told ferrite is longer. Thank you for you input William.
--
Bob Richardson

dwight richardson

Thank you Marc. I believe whip and ferrite longer on 398 vs 390. But I understand the PL-390 very good so it might be a small difference. Or perhaps none at all. On paper 398 is better but as you note, but variations from one receiver might account for that
--
Bob Richardson

william yim

Obviously Not!The whip antenna on P
l-398 is about 84cm, but the Pl-310et is only 45cm! I have modified my own 310 with 72cm antenna, but truly not as good as the 398 in terms of the performance!

在 2020年6月15日週一 01:49,mariusz.dorota@... <mariusz.dorota@...> 寫道:

Op 14/06/2020 om 21:35 schreef Marc Coevoet:
Op 14/06/2020 om 19:48 schreef mariusz.dorota@...:
Is whip size on both radios the Same ?
pl 390 or 398: size must be around 90cm?
I replaced them with a 110cm!
Marc

For the interest of everyone, I posted some pictures of the inside of

- Tecsun 390
- Tecsun 390mp the one with the mp3 player (not recorder!)

Pictures start at,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191037739@N02/50601395613/in/dateposted-public/

and I suppose you can see them and click forward. The tuners are part of my collection, most are for sale!

I just became a member of flickr for its publishing of full resolution pictures!

Op 14/11/2020 om 21:53 schreef Marc Coevoet via groups.io:
- Tecsun 390
- Tecsun 390mp  the one with the mp3 player (not recorder!)
Tecsun 398mp is the real name ;-)

For former Apple users: Xubuntu.org (menu's up left)
For former Windows users: Lubuntu.org (menu's down left)

gordrstaples

The Tecsun PL390 and PL398mp to me are real winners.  I replaced the internal ferrites with a Russian ferrite rod and the litz wire with 40/44 internally and it really shines on AM band.  I can easily receive clearly wjr 760 in the daytime which is over 220 miles.

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020, 3:56 PM Marc Coevoet <sintsixtus@...> wrote:
Op 14/11/2020 om 21:53 schreef Marc Coevoet via groups.io:

> - Tecsun 390
> - Tecsun 390mp  the one with the mp3 player (not recorder!)

Tecsun 398mp  is the real name ;-)

For former Apple users: Xubuntu.org (menu's up left)
For former Windows users: Lubuntu.org (menu's down left)

Les Rayburn

I’ve been considering the purchase of the Tecsun PL-398mp DSP so this modification really intrigues me. Can you provide some more details? As the kids say, “Pix or it didn’t happen.” :-) Pictures would be great.

You mentioned a reception of WJR 760 at 220 miles. Where are you located? How does that compare to the stock perfoilrmance of the radio?

Details, man! We need details. Just kidding. Grateful for any additional information.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

NRC & IRCA Courtesy Program Committee Chairman
Member WTFDA, MWC

Perseus SDR, Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy + Discovery, SDRPlay RSP-2 Pro, Sony XDR-F1HD [XDR Guy Modified], Dennon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1X, Ray Dees RDS Decoders, Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Kitz Technologies KT-501 Pre-amps, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.

“Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else’s favorite song…”

On Dec 3, 2020, at 11:20 AM, gordrstaples <gordrstaples@...> wrote:

The Tecsun PL390 and PL398mp to me are real winners.  I replaced the internal ferrites with a Russian ferrite rod and the litz wire with 40/44 internally and it really shines on AM band.  I can easily receive clearly wjr 760 in the daytime which is over 220 miles.

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020, 3:56 PM Marc Coevoet <sintsixtus@...> wrote:
Op 14/11/2020 om 21:53 schreef Marc Coevoet via groups.io:

> - Tecsun 390
> - Tecsun 390mp  the one with the mp3 player (not recorder!)

Tecsun 398mp  is the real name ;-)

For former Apple users: Xubuntu.org (menu's up left)
For former Windows users: Lubuntu.org (menu's down left)

Jorge Garzón <iberiaDX@...>

Hi,
Peter (DXChannel) has extensively tested the Tecsun PL-390 and also PL-398. The three-part unboxing video can be viewed here: PL-398MP unboxing Part 1

In the forums (DX Skywaves) he has always highlighted this Tecsun model -at least for FM recption- but I know he could get more than decent TA MW stations from Africa, where he is now based (Botswana, I reckon!).

¡Buen DX!

Jorge Garzón (EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL)
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX