Complete Portable Ultralight Radio DXing Kit - Feburuay 2020

Paul Blundell

Recently I have been looking for a way to carry my portable radio collection and my other ultralight related items. I have used a variety of bags and cases in the past, my most recent case worked very well but it has recently become too small for everything I wanted to carry with me. I had added a bottom section to this for my notes but even with that I was struggling to fit everything in.

I was out doing some shopping yesterday when I called passed my local Super Cheap Auto. Here I found this new case for $50, I decided to replace my previous case as I found it was not working as well as I would have liked, my main focus being to protect my baby 3" FSL aerial. It is longer and wider but not quite as high as my previous case, after checking the dimensions, I decided it would be a good fit.

Last night I had some spare time so I sat down and set up this case. I pulled out the main foam block and tested a few different configurations before settling on this one. The main advantage is that by removing the required amount of foam for each item, I can protect them well but also have them easily accessible.
Overall, I am very pleased with how well this case has come out, I am able to carry and store my baby 3" FSL plus two radios, log sheets, pens, notes, spare batteries and ear phones, everything I need for portable sessions. It is also small enough to fit in my back pack. For $50 it provides a great level of protection.

While this case was designed for ultralight DXing the same ideas could be used for amateur radio, radio scanning or any other storage need.

Photos: https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2020/02/complete-portable-ultralight-radio.html
--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX