Topics

FSL+TCF? #ultralightdx

Al Short

Has anyone else had any luck or experience combing an FSL with a C.Crane's Twin Coil Ferrite antenna?
I place the pickup (small bar) nearby the 3.5" FSL and find that I can get some notable results.  While there does seem to be some gain, I am most impressed by the directionality/nulling I am able to achieve by rotating the large bar in conjuction with the FSL. Placement of the  small coil near the FSL appears to be quite touchy and there needs to be considerable separation from the large bar to avoid feedback effects.
My current passion is in the "graveyard" and with this setup and my Xhdata 808 (highly recommended) I have made many new catches.  I would love to hear from anyone else with experience with this setup.
Al
AB1QX

radiojayallen

I haven't tried this (and can't right now because most of my stuff is packed for an upcoming move), but a few people have written to me describing notable results using a Twin Coil antenna with a second antenna and physically arranging the Twin Coil elements relative to the second antenna to introduce regeneration. With regeneration you can achieve razor sharp selectivity and huge gain just below the point of oscillation. It is tricky to do even with antennas which have regeneration built-in - when you do it using two antennas, one amplified, it is even trickier but it can  be done.

Jay

Mark/airchecklover

I have used a TCF and a 2 ft air wound box loop (MTM Scientific) together and I had the most fun ever daytime DXing!  I might be one of the people Jay mentioned.  I sent him a recording of me phasing out one station, then another on 570 AM.  Both stations abt. 150 miles from me - one due south, one north east at 30 degrees.  Using the 2 antennas I could fully null one station or 90% null the other.  If not nulling, you can also get amplification. There were plenty of spots on the dial where nothing turned into a copyable something.  A 250 watt daytimer 90 miles away on 840 is an example.  The hitch?  None really although if your AM radio has an AM antenna jack you will get more predictable and repeatable results.  I used a Redsun/Kaito RP2100 which allowed overriding the internal looopstick. Second best (more fiddly) option is to couple the TCF to your radio via the TCF loopstick thingy ma dingy, finding the best possible spot for signal transfer.  "Best possible" is important for best phasing/amplification results with the two antennas down line.  Tape the TCF inductive transducer (technically, that is what it is) to your radio so it doesn't wiggle.  Then negotiate your signal hunting with the TCF and the loop, or whatever your second antenna is and be prepared to be amazed.

-Mark

Dan Philllips

What does tcf stand for?

Dan Philllips