801 4QY Cairns National 2k QLD
801 5RM Renmark/Loxton Commercial 2k SA
801 HPON Gosford HPON 5k NSW
810 2BA Bega National 10k NSW
810 6RN Perth National 20k WA
819 2GL Glen Innes National 10k NSW
819 6KW Kununurra National 5k WA
828 3GI Sale National 10k VIC
828 4GC Charters Towers Commercial 1k QLD
828 6GN Geraldton National 10k WA
837 4RK Rockhampton National 10k QLD
837 6ED Esperance National 1k WA
837 7XS Queenstown Commercial 500 TAS
846 2RN Canberra National 10k NSW
846 4EL Cairns Commercial 5k QLD
846 6CA Carnarvon National 2500 WA
855 3CR Melbourne Community 3500 VIC
855 4QB Pialba National 10k QLD
855 4QO Eidsvold National 10k QLD
864 4GR Toowoomba Commercial 2k QLD
864 6AM Northam Commercial 2k WA
864 7RPH Hobart Community 2k TAS
873 2GB Sydney Commercial 6k NSW
873 6DB Derby (WA) National 2k WA
873 HPON Innisfail HPON 2k QLD
882 3RPH Warrnambool Community 2k VIC
882 3YB Warrnambool Commercial 2k VIC
882 4BH Brisbane Commercial 5k QLD
882 6PR Perth Commercial 10k WA
891 5AN Adelaide National 50k SA
891 HPON Townsville HPON 5k QLD
900 2LM Lismore Commercial 5k NSW
900 2LT Lithgow Commercial 5k NSW
900 6BY Bridgetown Commercial 2k WA
900 8HA Alice Springs Commercial 2k NT
918 2XL Cooma Commercial 2k NSW
918 4VL Charleville Commercial 2k QLD
918 6NA Narrogin Commercial 2k WA
927 3UZ Melbourne Commercial 5k VIC
927 4CC Gladstone Commercial 5k QLD
936 4PB Brisbane National 10k QLD
936 6FX Fitzroy Crossing Community 5k WA
936 7ZR Hobart National 10k TAS
945 4HI Dysart Commercial 1k QLD
945 HPON Bendigo HPON 2k VIC
954 2UE Sydney Commercial 5k NSW
954 4EL Gordonvale Commercial 350 QLD
963 2RG Griffith Commercial 5k NSW
963 4WK Warwick Commercial 5k QLD
963 5SE Mount Gambier Commercial 5k SA
963 6TZ Bunbury Commercial 2k WA
972 2DU Cobar Commercial 300 NSW
972 2MW Murwillumbah Commercial 5k NSW
972 5PB Adelaide National 2k SA
981 2NM Muswellbrook Commercial 5k NSW
981 3HA Hamilton Commercial 2k VIC
981 6KG Kalgoorlie Commercial 2k WA
990 3RN Albury/Wodonga National 500 VIC
990 4RO Rockhampton Commercial 5k QLD
990 8GO Nhulunbuy National 500 NT
999 2NB Broken Hill National 2k NSW
999 2ST Nowra Commercial 5k NSW
1008 4TAB Brisbane Commercial 10k QLD
1008 HPON Launceston HPON 5k TAS
1017 2KY Sydney Commercial 5k NSW
1017 6WH Wyndham National 500 WA
1017 HPON Bunbury HPON 1k QLD
1026 3PB Melbourne National 10k VIC
1026 4AA Mackay Commercial 5k QLD
1035 2EA Wollongong National 2k NSW
1044 2UH Muswellbrook National 2k NSW
1044 4WP Weipa National 500 QLD
1044 5AU Port Pirie Commercial 2k SA
1044 6BR Bridgetown National 1k WA
1053 2CA Canberra Commercial 5k NSW
1053 HPON Brisbane HPON 500 QLD
1062 4TI Torres Strait National 2k QLD
1062 5MV Renmark/Loxton National 2k SA
1071 3EL Maryborough (Vic) Commercial 5k VIC
1071 4SB Kingaroy Commercial 2k QLD
1071 6WB Katanning Commercial 2k WA
1080 2MO Gunnedah Commercial 2k NSW
1080 6IX Perth Commercial 2k WA
1080 HPON Hobart HPON 5k TAS
1089 2EL Orange Commercial 5k NSW
1089 3WM Horsham Commercial 5k VIC
1098 2RN Goulburn National 200 NSW
1098 4LG Longreach Commercial 2k QLD
1098 6MD Merredin Commercial 2k WA
1107 2EA Sydney National 5k NSW
1116 3AK Melbourne Commercial 5k VIC
1116 4BC Brisbane Commercial 6300 QLD
1116 6MM Mandurah Commercial 2k WA
1125 1RPH Canberra Community 2k ACT
1125 5MU Murray Bridge Commercial 5k SA
1134 2AD Armidale Commercial 2k NSW
1134 3CS Colac Commercial 5k VIC
1134 6TZ Collie Commercial 2k WA
1134 6TZ/T Collie Commercial 2k WA
1143 2HD Newcastle Commercial 2k NSW
1143 4HI Emerald Commercial 5k QLD
1152 2WG Wagga Wagga Commercial 2k NSW
1152 6PB Busselton National 10k WA
1161 4FC Maryborough (Qld) Commercial 2k QLD
1161 5PA Naracoorte National 10k SA
1161 7FG Fingal National 1k TAS
1170 2CH Sydney Commercial 5k NSW
1179 3RPH Melbourne Community 5k VIC
1188 2NZ Inverell Commercial 2k NSW
1188 6XM Exmouth National 2k WA
1197 4YB Brisbane Community 500 QLD
1197 5RPH Adelaide Community 2k SA
1206 2CC Canberra Commercial 5k NSW
1206 2GF Grafton Commercial 5k NSW
1206 HPON Perth HPON 2k WA
1215 4HI Moranbah Commercial 250 QLD
1215 6NM Northam National 500 WA
1224 2RPH Sydney Community 5k NSW
1224 3EA Melbourne National 5k VIC
1233 2NC Newcastle National 10k NSW
1242 3GV Sale Commercial 5k VIC
1242 4AK Oakey Commercial 2k QLD
1242 5AU Port Augusta Commercial 2k SA
1242 HPON Darwin HPON 2k NT
1251 2DU Dubbo Commercial 2k NSW
1260 3SR Shepparton Commercial 2k VIC
1260 4MW Torres Strait Community 2k QLD
1269 2SM Sydney Commercial 5k NSW
1269 6RN Busselton National 5k WA
1278 3EE Melbourne Commercial 5k VIC
1287 2TM Tamworth Commercial 2k NSW
1296 4RPH Brisbane Community 5k QLD
1296 6RN Wagin National 10k WA
1305 5RN Renmark/Loxton National 2k SA
1314 3BT Ballarat Commercial 5k VIC
1314 HPON Wollongong HPON 5k NSW
1323 5DN Adelaide Commercial 3300 SA
1323 HPON Canberra HPON 400 ACT
1332 3SH Swan Hill Commercial 2k VIC
1332 4BU Bundaberg Commercial 5k QLD
1341 HPON Geelong HPON 5k VIC
1350 2LF Young Commercial 5k NSW
1359 4WK Toowoomba (City) Commercial 250 QLD
1359 HPON Mildura/Sunraysia HPON 200 VIC
1368 2GN Goulburn Commercial 2k NSW
1377 3MP Melbourne Commercial 5k VIC
1386 HPON Penrith HPON 300 NSW
1395 2LG Lithgow (City) National 200 NSW
1395 5AA Adelaide Commercial 5k SA
1404 2PK Parkes/Forbes Commercial 2k NSW
1404 HPON Busselton HPON 4k WA
1413 2EA Newcastle National 5k NSW
1422 4AM Port Douglas Commercial 1k QLD
1422 HPON Melbourne HPON 5k VIC
1431 2RN Wollongong National 2k NSW
1431 HPON Kalgoorlie HPON 2k WA
1440 1EA Canberra National 2k ACT
1449 2MG Mudgee Commercial 5k NSW
1449 HPON Mandurah HPON 2k WA
1458 2PB Newcastle National 2k NSW
1467 3ML Mildura/Sunraysia Commercial 2k VIC
1476 4ZR Roma Commercial 2k QLD
1476 5MG Mount Gambier National 1k SA
1485 2EA Wollongong National 150 NSW
1485 2RN Wilcannia National 100 NSW
1485 4HU Hughenden National 50 QLD
1485 5LN Port Lincoln National 200 SA
1494 2AY Albury Commercial 2k NSW
1503 2BS Bathurst Commercial 111 NSW
1503 3KND Melbourne Community 5k VIC
1512 2RN Newcastle National 10k NSW
1512 6BAY Morawa Retransmission 5k WA
1521 2QN Deniliquin Commercial 2k NSW
1530 2VM Moree Commercial 2k NSW
1539 HPON Adelaide HPON 5k SA
1548 4QD Emerald National 50k QLD
1557 2RE Taree Commercial 2k NSW
1557 HPON Renmark/Loxton HPON 500 SA
1566 3NE Wangaratta Commercial 5k VIC
1566 4GM Gympie National 200 QLD
1575 HPON Wollongong HPON 5k NSW
1584 2EC Narooma Commercial 200 NSW
1584 2WA Wilcannia National 100 NSW
1584 4CC Rockhampton Commercial 500 QLD
1584 4VL Cunnamulla Commercial 161 QLD
1584 5WM Woomera National 50 SA
1584 7SH St Helens National 100 TAS
1593 HPON Melbourne HPON 5k VIC
1602 2CP Cooma National 396 NSW
1602 3WL Warrnambool National 250 VIC
1602 5LC Leigh Creek South National 200 SA

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Theo <theod438@...>

2XL/918 Cooma, NSW is no more.  They've gone to the Great FM Heaven in the sky.

Another group reports the tx switched off on 13 January.

Paul Blundell

Thanks for that. I did know that but forgot to remove them from the list.

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 11:33 AM Theo via Groups.Io <theod438=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
2XL/918 Cooma, NSW is no more.  They've gone to the Great FM Heaven in the sky.

Another group reports the tx switched off on 13 January.

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Todd

More Australian MW stations have permanently switched off. This opens up more clear frequencies for Australian DXers.

I hope they switch off my local 1539 KHz Rete Italia Sydney transmitter. This channel has been blocked for years..

The following Rete Italia network MW stations have permanently closed:

657 Perth.
801 Gosford.
1575 Wollongong.
1593 Melbourne.
1611 Darwin.
1611 Devonport.
1611 Esperance.
1611 Hobart.
1611 Kalgoorlie.
1611 Launceston.
1611 Mackay.
1611 Rockhampton.
1611 Gladestone.
1620 Gold Coast.
1620 Toowoomba.
1620 Wangaratta.
1629 Albany.
1629 Mt Gambier.
1638 Canberra.

Reports indicate that new Australia car tuners no longer include AM. Only FM, and high VHF Digital.

999 KHz 2ST Nowra and 1134 2AD Armidale are planning to switch off and move to FM.

Regards,

Todd
Sydney, AU

PS: This web page list is older, hence some more stations have switched off since then. The above list has been confirmed by DXers.

https://ilglobo.com.au/news/44716/changes-to-rete-italia/

Paul Blundell

Great list. I will keep an ear out for them.

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020, 11:11 a.m. Todd via Groups.Io, <toddemslie=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

The Australian ACMA website has a list of pending AM to FM conversions. Quite a few stations will go forever such as recently departed 918 KHz Cooma.

Time to record these AM stations while they remain on air.

https://www.acma.gov.au/am-fm-conversions

Pending AM to FM Conversions:

State Markets
New South Wales

Armidale

Grafton

Gunnedah

Inverell

Lismore

Lithgow

Moree

Nowra

Parkes

Tamworth

Taree

Young

Victoria Wangaratta
Western Australia Albany

dave_m1ctk

What do think the chances of the big stations like 2GB and 4BC etc going to FM in the next few years ? I was tuning around the Brisbane airspy server and the FM band certainly doesn't seem overly crowded so is this the case nationally I wonder ?

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020, 07:21 Todd via Groups.Io, <toddemslie=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Todd, I will check it out.

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020, 6:21 p.m. Todd via Groups.Io, <toddemslie=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Australian capital city stations like 873 Sydney 2GB, and 1116 Brisbane 4BC will be around a long time. This is because they attract older (maybe very old) listeners for mainly talk-back. These listeners however are on borrowed time, so who knows what will happen economically to stations like 2GB and 2UE when this older generation passes on. But current ratings surveys show that 873 2GB is the number one AM station in Sydney [1]

In view of the recent catastrophic Australian bushfires, it could be reasoned that high power ABC radio regional MW outlets are here to stay indefinitely. They provide an important PSA resource for mainly rural area listeners. High VHF band digital coverage is short-range and unreliable compared to medium wave.

The ACMA AM to FM conversions are only planned as an option for station management to decide. The ACMA cannot force AM stations to move. Existing AM stations have the option of not moving to FM. It all depends on various factors such as signal area coverage, population, transmitter fees, etc.

Regards,

Todd
Sydney, AU

1. https://www.radiotoday.com.au/radio-ratings-survey-6-2019/

Dan Merta

In terms of Wangaratta in VIC it doesn't state wherever 756KHz 3RN or 1566KHz 3NE is earmarked for closure.
It would be a pity for 3NE to be shut down as it has a unique groundwave and skywave propagation pattern.
I recorded about 2 hours of 3NE last year, i'd better make some more recordings this year.

Chris Rogers

It is 1566 3NE that is tipped to move to FM. The government ABC stations aren't moving from AM to FM in the proposals.

Dan Merta

I sent a  message to 3NE's FB page asking about the proposed move to FM. And they replied that there are no plans to turn off 1566Khz.
Remains to be seen if this person is correct, or may not know about it.

Paul Blundell

Hopefully they don't as I find them a good target.

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 10:09 p.m. Dan Merta, <dnmerta0@...> wrote:
I sent a  message to 3NE's FB page asking about the proposed move to FM. And they replied that there are no plans to turn off 1566Khz.
Remains to be seen if this person is correct, or may not know about it.

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Todd

1566 KHz 3NE at 319 miles is my main mid winter noon daytime skywave test signal. When the D layer is temporarily weakened in terms of density, 3NE will be one of the first to show up.

1566 KHz 3NE is also one of the last skywave signals to fade out most mornings. During the breakfast time window up to circa 0900 LT, 3NE is received at fair levels into Sydney. That said, the D layer is absorbing most of the E layer refracted signal, hence a quality loop and sensitive receiver are needed. I use a 26 inch diameter PK loop for casual DX listening. This suffices for residual noon daytime skywave.

Noteworthy is how PK loop signal nulls peak towards the top end of the FM band. This is mostly because of the relatively small loop diameter. 1566 4GM Gympie (500 watts) can be easily received in the 1566 KHz 3NE perpendicular null.

1593 KHz Melbourne is still on air, but not with Rete Italia program.

With the gradual Australian MW to FM transition, new channels have opened up for DX reception from further afield. Some examples are:

558 KHz Fiji, 918 KHz Cambodia, 1359 KHz New Zealand, and 1575 KHz Thailand. All these signals are frequent into Sydney.

Regards,

Todd Emslie
Sydney, AU

Paul Blundell

Thanks Todd.

I am planning a bit of a mini DX trip next month to the east coast, my goal being to log some NZ stations.