Topics

531 kHz UnID-- Ausralian Assistance Needed (Again)

Gary DeBock

Thanks Will,

<<<   I wouldn't 100% rule out 6DL and I was actually going to suggest that as a 'differential diagnosis'. The national weather at the start of your clip makes 6DL a possibility because that's exactly what the ABC does at the conclusion of its news bulletins. The more detailed weather report could be regional WA weather; the showers and thunderstorms with SE winds could have been for places like Albany and other parts of southern WA, or alternatively for the far northern Kimberley region.   >>>

That sounds very interesting, but other than going back to Hawaii and listening on 531 kHz again, there's not much more I can do to narrow this down to 6DL :-) I checked the ABC website for a Podcast, but in a cost-cutting move they seem to have deleted all of them over 8 days old. The lady's voice and speaking style are pretty disinctive, though, so I'm sure that she will show up again in the multiple Oz recordings made during this trip, or on our wacky plunging cliff on the Oregon coast.

Speaking of which, it's much easier to make sure of 531-6DL reception there-- you just record an AFL football game, and you know it's got to be Dalwallinu  :-)

73, Gary

William Renton

Hi Gary,

No problems- I enjoy helping others identify their DX signals.

I wouldn't 100% rule out 6DL and I was actually going to suggest that as a 'differential diagnosis'. The national weather at the start of your clip makes 6DL a possibility because that's exactly what the ABC does at the conclusion of its news bulletins. The more detailed weather report could be regional WA weather; the showers and thunderstorms with SE winds could have been for places like Albany and other parts of southern WA, or alternatively for the far northern Kimberley region.

Regards,

Will.

Gary DeBock

Hi Will,

Thanks very much for listening to the 531 recording, and for your assessment (which are greatly appreciated).

It would seem that the overall evidence would indicate 4KZ for this signal, and since I have another good 4KZ recording from Hawaii, it's OK if this one ends up without definite ID clues. There was an outside chance of tracking down 6DL from Western Australia, so I thought I would investigate all possibilities. 531 is a very productive frequency at our Rockwork ocean cliff in Oregon state, with 6DL, 4KZ, 2PM, PI and More FM all having been received there within the last couple of years (with Ultralights and FSL's). Of course that's no guarantee that they will show up in Hawaii :-) Thanks again.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

William Renton

Hi Gary,

The weather report and its presenter sounds much like the very detailed reports given on 4KZ. I could only conclusively identify 'showers and thunderstorms' and 'SE winds', a common forecast for Far North Queensland in November. The weather report is usually followed by an ID 'on the KZ radio network' but I think your signal fades at the critical time. The female presenter is probably from a syndicated show so it's not much assistance.

At the very start of the clip I think some national weather was given; I think I can hear 'Canberra' and 'Townsville' mentioned. This would rule out the Kiwis. Sorry I couldn't find a 'smoking gun' on this occasion.

Best regards,

Will.

Gary DeBock

This is another mystery recording from last month's Poipu, Hawaii DXpedition, featuring Australian English on 531 kHz at 1503 UTC during a sunrise session on November 5th. There is apparently a weather report in the first part of the recording, foillowed by a lady presenter at 49 seconds saying something like, "More to come, from Radio Australia" (?). Other than this strange statement it would seem like the format is similar to 4KZ in Innisfail, but if any Australians or Kiwis can listen to the recording I'm sure that the identity mystery would be solved-- help!  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/m70q721ltlwwa0m23wxd5h8vp0csahnv

73, Gary DeBock (DXing in Poipu, Hawaii from November 2-8)