640 kHz UnID Spanish Station

Gary DeBock

This was received at 1017 UTC (0217 PST, west coast time) on December 3, 2021 (last month) when KFI suddenly went silent in the early morning. At 57 seconds there is an apparent ID (Novio Radio?) in this recording. Any suggestions about the station identity would be appreciated-- this was received on a 7.5 inch loopstick CC Skywave model here in Puyallup, WA, USA. Thanks for any assistance!  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/brw3c2bhg0935iox9ggymcnjnhfq67bh

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Jorge Garzón

Hi Gary,
This is most likely "Radio Progreso" from Cuba. The recording starts with some Cuban music and then the conductor (with a strong Cuban accent) presents a kind ot 'Radio-theater", called in Spanish "Dramatizados". Cuban radio use to broadcast this as a radio entertaiment. i can't get any ID along the clip as they are just talking on the work dialogue.

I have tried to check Radio Progreso programs here: https://www.radioprogreso.icrt.cu/ but the page seems not to be fully working. Perhaps you could ask them  via FB as I have not FB access (I have closed my FB accounts a month ago).

On MW List Radio Progreso is shown on 640 kHz with 50 kW from Guanabacoa.

Sorry not being able to give you a 100% sure ID, but I would bet for it!

Happy New Year 2022 for you, your family, and all Ultralight Floks here on the board!!

Jorge

--
Jorge Garzón (EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL)
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W

Gary DeBock

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 04:34 AM, Jorge Garzón wrote:
Hi Gary,
This is most likely "Radio Progreso" from Cuba. The recording starts with some Cuban music and then the conductor (with a strong Cuban accent) presents a kind ot 'Radio-theater", called in Spanish "Dramatizados". Cuban radio use to broadcast this as a radio entertaiment. i can't get any ID along the clip as they are just talking on the work dialogue.

I have tried to check Radio Progreso programs here: https://www.radioprogreso.icrt.cu/ but the page seems not to be fully working. Perhaps you could ask them  via FB as I have not FB access (I have closed my FB accounts a month ago).
Thanks Jorge,

Your information about the Cuban accent and its typical programming in the 640 recording is very helpful, and agrees with what some other DXers have said about the identity of that powerful Spanish station on 640, received when the loud California pest station KFI suddenly shut down unexpectedly here on the USA west coast.

My big surprise was that the 640 Cuban (Radio Progreso) was hitting S9 peaks here in western Washington state at the time, when I was only using a 19cm loopstick CC Skywave Ultralight. The distance is about 5,200 km (3,230 miles). Thanks again!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)